It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunglasses That Can Scan For Bad Guys

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Sunglasses That Can Scan For Bad Guys

www.investors.com

Sunglasses that can scan faces in a crowd and identify suspects are being tested by police in Brazil, potentially doing away with the need to corral people through security checkpoints. The glasses are equipped with a small camera that can scan up to 400 faces a second from 50 yards away, then cross-check them against a database of criminals and terrorists. A red light inside the glasses flashes when a match comes up.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.teleg raph.co.uk
www.aolnews.com
globalgrind.com
globalgrind.com

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Whoa....
Sunglasses on the war on terror

Dubbed RoBoCop, the technology is straight from a dystopian sci-fi film and can scan 400 faces per second in crowds from a distance of 50 yards. Stretched to its limits it can spot a bad guy 12 miles away. Data gathered from the scan is compared and contrasted against a criminal database of 13 million people for a positive match.

globalgrind.com...

400 faces at once
It's amazing how technology is changing
This may completely change the current stage of crime fighting at a city or even precinct level.

I believe in the U.S. all that is required to get on the list may be a simple phone call to DHS by a nosy neighbor that finds your walk very suspicious.

Because of this i'd say hopefully it doesn't make it here.

And to be honest, that is the point of the thread
The point for me making this thread is that it's such a shame that we live in a society where we have to be very skeptical about innovation.

I remember watching the most recent Star Trek movie and thinking to myself... we will never get there.
We won't ever get to a "Star Trek" level, there's just too much corruption.

It's sad really
Brazil will be using these glasses at the world cup
www.telegraph.co.uk...

www.investors.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
If they would make them to spot bad girls I want a pair.
Could be a big seller.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Man, I'd like to have such sunglasses that identify currupt and mendacious politicians!

But, I guess it all depends on the databases you run them with. Would be interesting to know how accurate these scanners work!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunLightyear
Man, I'd like to have such sunglasses that identify currupt and mendacious politicians!

But, I guess it all depends on the databases you run them with. Would be interesting to know how accurate these scanners work!

Given the preponderance of corrupt politicians, it might be more practical to scan for the few that aren't. Then again, there would be no point because we all know there is nothing more corrupting than getting elected.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
We'd win the war on terror if the majority of people stood up and arrested the self appointed ruling bloodlines and bankers. And their governments and then started problem solving with love in groups and counsels. They'd have other problems, all their programming, which is why they need to see through it all, and practice in community groups, communicating and truly understanding each other, walking in each others shoes and excluding no one at all, inclusive especially of the poor and vulnerable.

But we should no who the true criminals, mobsters and terrorists are by now.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Oh, they'll get here. Official government public appearances might be the biggest market here, but there's a market. Mainly mercenary maybe, and just for "special occasions" not routine inspections, but they'll get here. ...They probably were tested here. They've probably been used here for a while.

Ain't technology wunnaful though? lol

S&F&

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
They do not look like sunglasses.

Two things I haven't seen on those links:

1 - They have been doing tests since 2010
2 - The system was not created in Brazil, it's imported from Israel, where they use them on border controls.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Such glasses are amazing! I can appreciate the facial recognition capabilities. In a more perfect world that would be a marvelous asset. However, in a corrupt world there is room for a lot of abuse.

Unity 99's post for using understanding for dealing with terrorists so as to un-create that environment has merit. Most terrorists are fighting for a cause, usually to right a wrong which really ought to be solutionable if the powers really want to correct them. On the other hand it seems an inordinate number of "terrorists" have turned out to be CIA operative, mistakes, or persons that for some reason have some strange and/or dubious connections with such agencies. Odd that they didn't recognize the mis-potential of these persons when they had contact. Or maybe they did.

I have an outline of my own pipedream about how justice should work in this world in the comment section of my profile page. Too much emphasis has been placed on trying to make everyone conform to one set of norms. In any given roomful of people you will find... well, a roomful af norms even if they are all part of the same club.

No, governments and We the People as well all create an environment for criminality by insisting on conformity. We make a big business out of crime-fighting and creating crime to fight. Our resources ought to be pooled toward managing diversity and freedom of expression. Let talents rise from a proper breeding ground. I don't believe all people spring up best from from an environment of mushroom for composting, though perhaps some. What an amazing world we could create.

Amazing glasses. S&F.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Hm, so the glasses must have a 100 Megapixel Camera and a 64 Core Minicomputer with a 10gbit/sec broadband connection to the "all faces of the world" Database. Absolute rubbish

edit on 17-4-2011 by cushycrux because: corrections

From the Orig Source:

...The settings of the glasses are adjustable, so if a crowd is more sparse and spread out, it can identify faces as far as 12 miles away at a slower rate....
www.wired.com...

edit on 17-4-2011 by cushycrux because: Part of orig Source Text added..

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

Yes , I agree , and the claim to be able to recognize a face from 12 miles away is just absurd IMO.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

If these things can scan (and analyse and compare) 400 faces a *second* and compare those scans to a database of 13 million...what the hell kind of processor is in them...one of the CPU's from a Skynet terminator?

Bet it's not what you'd find in one of our computers, that's for sure.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The details on performance will change as the technology gets upgraded. The important thing is that a searching person can find a face in a crowd based on unique nonchangeable facial bone dimensions.

A disguise would involve,
bone simulating paste or studs
and/or a broadcasted simulated face signal

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
They do not look like sunglasses.

Two things I haven't seen on those links:

1 - They have been doing tests since 2010
2 - The system was not created in Brazil, it's imported from Israel, where they use them on border controls.

They most certainly do not look like sunglasses.

Disinfo to keep people looking for sunglasses and not whatever that specifically is.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Do you think perhaps that the guy wearing the glasses might himself be a target for the "Bad Guys"

Great plan..........

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Oh, poor america. Maybe if you step out of line, you get on a face list, face book list. Then they stop you. What cha gonna do, what cha gonna do when they come for you.
Sir, sir, let me check your child, sir, your getting out of hand, sir step into my room, sir, sir, arrest him for resisting arrest and pat down that little girl, i want a full body cavity search on all of them, the whole family. Make sure you put this family on the face book list. Enjoy America, this is your future. Control. You like it. Oh, you better be good, or your nieghbor will turn you in, then you get put on a list. Do not step out of line, sheeple. Or your face will be put into a data base with all the others. So how are you going to look on the face book computer data storage, smile , you on camera. Oh, there is a list and it's getting bigger all the time. Oh i'm sorry, the death star will be fully operational. Meanning, this tech is functional and up and running wether you like it or not. You know that a telescope in space can read a newspaper down here on earth. What makes you think that a camera cannot take pics of peoples in a large group or groups and pick out a known person who has been in jail and processed and let out. A pic that gets sent electronically to be scanned and sent back to the security official to pull you out of the crowd of a hundred or more, think again. Come on for sakes, they have holograms that can make people appearr out of thin air and you would look at them thinking they real when not. Don't make me go there with the hologram tech.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
As for the processor it is likely just a camera and a transmitter with all the computing taking place at a server. This isn't too difficult.

As for the uses, this could be better used to locate missing children than to find criminals.

This is why it is becoming more important for people to have control of their governments. With technology like this it will become impossible to hide, impossible to run, and the governments will be able to have big brother level control.

We don't need to stop that technologies that can save lives, we need to stop the governments that will abuse them to steal freedom.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
and such bad guy specs are not allowed
to be worn in banks else you would see
many bad guys stealing your money and
your life.

This kind of TECH was touched upon
in the hollywood movie "Stealth"
with Jessica Beil (HOT, HOT, HOT)
lol

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I am not buying the 12 mi facial recognition. For that, the top camera on the market for security is by Flir. It is 1450 MP(your digi probably is about 10-12 MP) and costs 475k wholesale (and YES I can actually sell you one because that is what I do for a living).

That being said, a cam this size is obviously an ip camera piping the feed back to the server. And yes, it can do exactly what they are claiming that it can do with about 60% accuracy. That is actually incredibly high accuracy for facial recg. software and is worth every penny. It is a true "second set of eyes".

Don't be shocked by this technology. I have been putting it into airports and public buildings for the last 5 years already.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I wonder if they can spot a fake person. New hologram tech not recognized by human eye. Notice how he says that it is used by the military. youtu.be... Are U.F.O's even real. Are we at war with high tech? WTF?
edit on 17-4-2011 by cloaked4u because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2011 by cloaked4u because: get vid to work.

extra DIV

top topics

<<   2 >>

join