It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rapture, Will it Happen?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I got a bit curious the other day on biblical proof for a pre-tribulation rapture of "God's faithful" and so I started using every reference possible to find biblical proof of a rapture.

So I was wondering, does anyone have any verse from the bible they wish to share that support proof of a rapture? Is this just a myth passed down throughout history?

God does take his faithful up with him, but only after the "end of the world". Thats the only thing I could find on it.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Here is the passage in 1 Thessalonians 4 that most people use as proof of the pre-trib rapture. Hope this helps...

13Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. 14We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 15According to the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18Therefore encourage each other with these words.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Ah yes. The Book of Revelation. Do you know that it was nearly NOT put into the Bible because many of the compilers of the documents felt it was sort of whacked-out ramblings? Martin Luther (who founded Protestantism) wanted it left out of the New Testament because he felt it was wrong.

But it's still in there. Most churches don't believe in it (or believe that it referred to historical Rome and the events during the early years of Christianity (and The Beast specifically referring to Nero.) The literalists believe in it and have kept to the "it's going to happen ANY MINUTE NOW!" frenzy for the past ... well... 1600 years (ever since the Bible was compiled.)

No other religion believes in this. Some have their own version of this where their religion wins out. Some have end of the world scenarios that are completely different (the Nordic Ragnarok comes to mind.)

It's an unkind theology at best, for it teaches that whoever made the world just hates mankind enough to send almost all of them to hell (except for the mysterious few "elect"... and depending on which Christian sect you belong to, only your particular small sect will be saved and all those other evilbadChristiansects (who don't meet your standards) will be tossed into hell to repent forever that they didn't follow you and convert to YOUR Christian sect.

I think that most folks don't buy the scenario.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The biggest thing I've heard about the book of Revelation is that the writing style of the John and Revelation are different, leading many scholars to think John didn't really write it. If he didn't, that sure raises the question: is it true?

Whether Revelation is true or not, the Bible often refers to Jesus' second coming, in the Old and New testaments. We can be certain Jesus will come back, and that the only way to go to heavan is accepting Jesus. Whether or not Revelation is true doesn't matter to me. It doesn't affect my faith either way.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
some parts of revelations may have seemed to happen in the past, but the question is what is the end result if it has happened?? would the world be as it is today if revelations happened thousands of years ago?? The end result of revelations is the end of evil basiically and Jesus becoming the ruler of all creation. Has evil been dealt with???

The rapture will happen, or what was described will happen, because its about the resurection of those who are both alive and dead in Jesus Christ. The question is WHEN. If it happens before the tribulation, who will endure the persecution if the church is gone? This is a very difficult topic. Some believe in partial fullfillment, that some of it has happened and the rapture is near the end. But if you believe in God and Jesus it makes no difference whether you are raptured or you die a normal death, OR are persecuted and murdered for your faith, because Jesus will never forsake you and the end result is still eternal peace versus eternal wrath.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by KillerD
Here is the passage in 1 Thessalonians 4 that most people use as proof of the pre-trib rapture. Hope this helps...

I can't find anything in there which alludes to a pre-tribulation rapture. Can you point it our for me?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
16For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Whoa human imagination never stops to amaze me. We can believe anything we humans said and do as long as served our purposes.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Is that the only passage? It seems kinda iffy to me really, like it could support either a pre-trib rapture or post-trib. No where in there does it say anything like "before thy wilt suffer thou wilt ascend with me" hmm... I'll see if I can find any other verses.

[edit on 7/27/2004 by lockheed]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by lockheed
So is that the only passage? It seems kinda iffy to me really, like it could support either a pre-trib rapture or post-trib. No where in there does it say anything like "before thy wilt suffer thou wilt ascend with me"

I believe there are a few others but the passage in 1 Thessalonians 4 is the only one that I know off the top of my head and yes I agree it could go either way pre or post. I'll see if I can dig up some other passages but I believe this is the main passage that all pre-trib people base their beliefs on.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Here's a few more scriptures:

Luke 17:34 in that night two will be in one bed, the one will be taken along but the other will be abandoned.

Matthew 24:40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

Luke 17:36 Two men shall be in the field, the one shall be taken and the other left.

Re 3:3 I will come upon you as a thief.

Not only does a thief come at a time when he is not expected, he comes to rob. What is Christ robbing? He will be robbing or abducting part of humanity, and He will be taking them somewhere else.

I for one haven't made up my mind on pre or post trib, hope it's pre but I'm not putting all of my faith in it.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
...not to mention that there are many Books of Revelations out there. The one that you see in the King James version of the Bible is the one that the church picked out, but possibly not the true "word of God" version. Its the same with all the other books in the Bible as well.

If you want to read some of the other books just go and get a copy of "The Other Bible", by Willis Barnstone. Its over 700 pages long, but a very interesting read, and I say this not even being a Christian myself!

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by lockheed
The Rapture, Will it Happen?

No.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Here is a site with info on this subject. home.pe.net...

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
No, it won't happen. I think the Rapture is what the particularly petty christians use to channel their frustration at those who don't buy into their BS.

"Hah, that nasty sinner! They'll get theirs one day."

Then they get all smug and act like they are doing you a large favor by even lowering themselves to speak with you since you have one foot in Hell already. But they would prefer to "save" you (ie: boost up their own belief by having as many others agree as possible), not for you but so they can score points to get into Heaven, since they have been taught to fear that they won't. That is what the Rapture is about. What better way to get back at those who dared disagree with them than to imagine the rest of us getting punished by God, while they go cloud dancing or whatever?

Ok, enough with the rant I guess.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Someone said that it doesn't matter if the rapture is pre-trib or post-trib. I wholeheartedly disagree. It's pre-trib and you want to escape the tribulation period(it will be the worst time the human race has ever known, worse than what Hitler did and worse the the catastrophe of Noah's flood.) It is going to be hard to be a christian during the tribulation period, it will mean death for some. Plus a strong delusion is going to be sent during the tribulation period. The Bible tells us a "lie" will be told and many will believe this lie.

Someone also said that christians lower themselves to talk to the unsaved to get points to get into heaven. A real christian knows that he is only going to heaven because of what Christ has done for us. You can't do anything to get into heaven aside from faith in Christ. We serve God and as part of our service christians will be rewarded in heaven. The rewards we will receive are for growing in our faith and letting go our our will and listening for the voice of God to direct us. They rewards are for accepting the responsibilities of being a christian and following through on those responsibilities.

Now for the rapture verses:

1. I believe being taken to heaven before the tribulation is one of those rewards. I believe that this is the crown of righteousness that is talked about in 2 Timothy 4:8.

2. 2 Thessalonians 2:3 talks about a falling away that will happen. You need to get a concordance for the Bible so you can study seriously. The word used can mean "departing". This is a verse that could and probably does have a dual application. Departing means going away from true christianity and departing can also be christians departing for heaven in the rapture.

3. 2 Thess. 2:5-8 Someone is holding back the tribulation period and the appearing of the anti-christ. The only one stronger than satan is God(Holy Spirit). The Holy Spirit resides in christians right now and so when He is removed we are removed. God has promised that He would never take His spirit from us, so if He goes we go.

4. Luke 21:36 talks about a way to escape all the things to come(Jesus just talked about the end times before these verses). The word "escape" has the meaning of vanish which is what will happen in the rapture.

5. Acts 15:14-17 talks about God "taking out" (rapture) a people for His name. Then a "residue" of men will seek after the Lord. Residue means left down or left behind. The left Behind book series is a Biblical concept and the title has Biblical meaning.

6. Matthew 24:24 talks about that the "very elect" could be deceived during the trib period, and that would be possible except for one fact, we're gone.

7. Jesus in Matthew 16:13 talks about the fact that "the gates of hell shall not PREVAIL against the church" He is building.
7a. Revelation 13:7 says the antichrist will"overcome" the saints during the trib period.
7b. Daniel 7:21 says the saints will be "PREVAILED" against.
7c. Romans 11:25 talks about blindness on Israel's part toward Christ until the "fulness of the gentiles be come in". Fulness here means completion. Completion of the church.

It appears from these verses in #7 that not all saints will be in the church.

8. Matthew 24:22, Mark 13:20 Jesus tells us the days are shortened for the elect. We don't have as many days as the rest of the world because the days are shortened(we are raptured out of time into eternity. There are no days in eternity.)
8a. Who are the elect? Colossians 3:12 tells us christians are the elect of God.

9. Revelation 3:6 tells us that God has made christians to be "kings and priests" unto Himself.
9a. Rev. ch. 2&3 talks about the churches.
9b. Rev. 4:1 has a door in heaven opened and a trumpet blast(see 1Corinthians 15:51-54 to see this trumpet blast is associated with the rapture.)
9c. Rev 4:4 and 4:10 talks about 24 elders(they represent the 12 tribes of Israel and the 12 apostles) jewish and gentile believers ie. the church.
9d. Rev. 5:8-10 tells us who the 24 elders are. They are people redeemed from every kindred tongue people and nation who were redeemed by the blood of the "lamb"(Jesus). and they have been made kings and priests unto God. Look back at Rev. 3:6. kings and priests again. The kings and priests(christians) of verse 3:6, talked about in CH. 2&3, raptured in verse 4:1 now seen in verses 4:4 and 4:10 and identified in verses 5:8-10.
9e. These elders are seen again in Rev. 5:14, 7:11, 7:13, 11:16, 14:3, 19:4, and every time they are in heaven. Then later in Rev. ch. 19 a door in heaven is opened and Christ returns with the "armies of heaven".

10. The Old Testament even foretells the rapture in Isaiah 26:20-21 and Isaiah 57:1.
11. Rev. 7:9-17 talks of an uncountable number who come out of "great tribulation". and Rev. 20:4 talks of some who were beheaded for the witness of Jesus and did not take the mark of the beast. So there will be people who trust Christ in the tribulation period. But there is a difference now is the time to accept Christ and miss the tribulation horrors.

There is plenty of evidence in the Bible for the pre-trib rapture. There are other verses but these are the ones off the top of my head. Anyone and I mean ANYONE can become part of the church and miss the tribulation, but it needs to be done NOW. After that the tribulation comes and it may mean death to be associated with Christ.

top topics

join