It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are my Stars and Flags coming from?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Hi ATS,

I would like to ask a very brief question and simple question.

Is there anyway to track where new Stars or more importantly Flags are coming from?

I know that in '' my messages'' center i can see recent replies to my post's but there seems to be no way of knowing where new flags come from.

This would apply more to older threads and threads i know longer track under ''My ATS''. There are many times my S&F rating will rise but i can not see it in my recent threads and it may just have been that someone came across an older thread and rated it etc.

Is there anyway to track this?

I understand that a flag by flag or star by star report or notification would take up alot page or msg space, but is there anyway we can track recent 'new flags or stars'' perhaps there could be a way to make it that new threads do not duplicate in new messages but only increase in flag or star quantity but older threads will generate a new msg if a flag or star is given.

Does this make sense or is there a feature i am missing on ATS that already provides something similar?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I dont even understand what the stars are even for. I also dont uderstand why members here are obsessed about them either.

I mean do they brag in real life about it?

"I have 1323 stars on ATS, Yeah, im pretty popular. Yeah, I pretty much run ATS."

I mean some of the members think they are some type of internet celeb up in this bitch.
edit on 17-4-2011 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Why would you like to know where your stars and flags are coming from?

IMHO, this will only lead to forum gangs starring and flagging each other, cause they feel obliged to do it.

Just take it, and don't question it.

VVV

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Stars can be used instead of the annoying one line posts

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

If you look here:

ATS Member Top Star Ratings

You will there are some with many many stars.

It doesnt really matter how many stars you receive in some way... as long as you stand by your statements and beleive in yourself

I guess the way to gauge stars is that people respond to your comments and agree with your statements. Flags are all about your thread and how much quality and content they provide. Although some threads get so many flags and then end up being all crap that it annoys me when i spend hours putting some together and get nothing.

Flags are abit like a snowball effect, the faster they accumulate the faster it grows... but after a couple of days it dies out... the same can be seen on MSM, thats why stories even know they are important drop off after a week or 2. People lose interest and look for the next big issue or story.

I'm not fussed so much but i do want to know where they are coming from, so if there is an older thread out there getting some hits and interest i can update it or add more content to it

edit on 17-4-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

haha i would star that if i could

Yes this is an annoying one line post... but so was yours hehe *jokes*

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

It's not about that at all, it's about tracking your contributions. It's obvious if you have provided something of interest or something that is not.

We can track flags and stars in recent and new topics but sometimes i will receive flags and have no clue where it has come from. I have posted over 100 threads, im not gonna traul through to find one flag, but it would be nice to know which one of my subjects was of interest to someone.... thats all

edit on 17-4-2011 by Havick007 because: Revised Thread Count

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
aha - see my flags just hit 600 and i just went through my 5 most recent threads and i cant find it.... hmm i bet someone here did that on purpose.... cheeeky!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I dont agree so much with that... if someone gives me a flag or a star, it doesnt mean im gonna run off and gove them one, especially for post's or threads that are crap. I only ever give positive feedback for quality or humour on occasion

I'm not so interested in which member gives the feedback, but which thread or reply received it ( of mine ) thats what i was trying to say in the OP.

There are already groups n ATS that stick together and gove eachother Kydos for threads or replies that make no sense... im not trying to address that here though.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Hi all I am a noob how do you give stars and flags well I see how to do flags but I have no idea on these stars?

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Bavarian

In this forum you cannot give stars because it is the board biz forum ( Flags Only )

Here i'll give you an example of the most recent thread... not mine so it seems objective.

Most recent thread from New Topics (Live) ATS

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f0a983b6166d.jpg[/atsimg]

Do you see the blue stars at the top of a post or reply?

If you click the blank star that has only a blue outline that will give that person a star

A star basically makes that reply or post seem important or show's that X amount of people agree with the statement or comment...

Does that make sense?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Stars can be used instead of the annoying one line posts
I like one line post , it's the one and a half line post I cant stand

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by bdb818888

what fustrates me is the people the write:

second line...

Seriously cant someone come up with something better to write than '' second line '' or ''2nd''

even if you put a link, smiley face or whatever.... Also the people that write S&F?? who cares, just give its credit, write your comment and be done...

I have occasionaly written 'flag for you' etc but i see people do it on every post... i think they are hoping for some return Karma

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
i have found it facinating the "attention" that people give to these ATS measurements. for me, even having an avatar is not a big concern. though i'm on ATS regularly, i try and not take myself too seriously in a forum like this.
as with most people here, i use ATS as a limited supplement to my own life experiences, and not rely too much on the information contained on it. verifications, and differing opinions, force me into various other media sources.. however, with that said, i have found that ATS has some excellent providers of information, and the wide variety of opinions, keeps me coming back.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

yeah i dont know... i dont agree with you 100% there.

It depends how seriously you take the subject matter i guess. I am obsessed sometimes and have a very strong interest in it, although Stars and Flags are not everything, they do gauge how seriously people take your post's, threads or articles.

Before coming to ATS i made the mistake of joining Googe Earth forums, thinking that i could share my interest in Mars and Lunar anomolies...ohh boy.. how wrong i was!!

My username, email and IP were banned because i tried to share anomlies... At least on ATS people will gove feedback and some will share your interest.

If you search Google for Havick007, you will still some of my post's on GE forums, although many wre deleted after my removal

this is their URL:

bbs.keyhole.com...

I frequented the 'Off-World' Mars and Moon forums...

The regulars used to hit me and say, well school children read this site, do you want them being influenced?

I would say well i am not trying to spread lies or fantasy, just what i think may be of interest.... and yup i was banned....

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I agree with several points posted. I dont often thread but knowing who is rating a thread or post, would provide a more informative audience guage. I believe it would also assist in building report with other posters. Ive ben a member for over a year and havent got a clue how to initiate friending or fueding. Its not that I want to dawn a doo rag and give props to my peeps or pull a drive by posting but it would lend a broader view to my everyday perspective and encourage me to thread. I think there are alot of valuable lurkers out there whos contributions are left to drown due to a lack of status or expierience.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MsAmen

Yeah it's not about Kudos but it is all about your beleif and what you share... it's almost like TV ratings in some ways. You can gauge if your topics are being read or not.

FYI: I just edited the above post in regrad to GE forums..

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
Is there anyway to track where new Stars or more importantly Flags are coming from?

I think you have to do it by process of elimination... They're not from me.

Sorry, I just thought a little humor would be appropriate.
The truth is, I don't think there is any way to track flags and stars. You'll just have to take them when you get them and let it be.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

aww thanks
no kudos from you

Yeah i know there is no way to track them, but that was why i posted this in the board biz forums...

I know that something like this could take time if the Admin thought it was worth it... alot of code etc.

Just putting my suggestion in the box so to speak

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

I come across threads or posts, I believe would be of interest to frequent posters but as a stranger its difficult to share. I find myself posting one liners to keep threads front page on ''Recent Posts''. I have several subscriptions but often forums obsess over a particular thread thats of no interest to me. Recent Posts offers a diverse subject matter however even this becomes redundent. (I could care less about lady gagas implants) There is so much information on ATS it can become overwhelming to find the meat of posts gone by. It would be great if more information could be gathered about who agrees or disagrees so that common interests are shared.
Ive often rated OPs whove bashed me because its a worthy thread or post, same goes for those whom have supported me in the past. Networking on ATS, I guess thats asking too much.
edit on 17-4-2011 by MsAmen because: Too many often's

top topics

<<   2 >>

join