It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mini-country

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I heard about there are some mini-country on the Earth
and among 1 mini-count only at a Oil Drilling Platform,and this so called "country" hide many hacker & offender
anyone know more about this mini-country ? where is this??

and how many mini-country on the Earth??

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
The one that's most often talked about is the Principality of Sealand. It's on an old British observation post in the sea. There was a period of time where it was outside of UK territorial waters (I'm sure the link will tell you why), and it was purchased and claimed its own soverignty.

There are a lot of places like this: some are new like Sealand, but most are old city-states that are just accepted. Luxembourg is a good example of the latter.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
this country is called sealand. Look at www.sealandgov.com.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Is this country just like the rumor,full of hacker & offender??

and how many mini-country on the Earth??

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
What about the vatican. It is my understanding that it is it's own country, even though it is in another country.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
What about the vatican. It is my understanding that it is it's own country, even though it is in another country.

yeah, the vatican is it's own country. it's a city state similar to luxembourg. a couple other countries inside a country are lesotho and swaziland, which are surrounded by south africa.

as for anywhere to hide hackers and offenders? what do you mean by that? like the give amnesty to these people or something?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Hey, don't forget the most important mini-country of all: Cuervo Nation! An island bought by Jose Cuervo (of tequila fame) out in the Caribbean. Check out www.CuervoNation.com...

They even wrote to the UN asking for recognition as a unique country. But the letter was ignored. :-(

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   

as for anywhere to hide hackers and offenders? what do you mean by that? like the give amnesty to these people or something?

yes
is it because hackers and offenders want to refug from some country's chase,so they hide in there??

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alchemist

yes
is it because hackers and offenders want to refug from some country's chase,so they hide in there??

Not exactly. Sealand makes a lot of income from being a "data haven", if you'll forgive me for the cyberpunk reference. They host servers, websites, stuff like that. They tend to be a bit more leniant than other places, it's true, but they do have their limits.

As for physically hiding hackers, etc. No, Sealand doesn't do that. It's not a big platform, so it wouldn't take too long to search

For other "mini-nations," a lot of the Native American tribes' reservations in the US are legally sovereign nations. In practice it doesn't quite work that way, but it's quite tidy on paper.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
the count at a Oil Drilling Platform...
wow,how can the people live??
is so unthinkable

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   
"Sealand" looks like it would be easier to take over than the Comoros Islands.

-koji K.

new topics

top topics

join