It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Kerry No Flip-Flopper on Death Penalty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
While the Republicans are trying to label John Kerry as a flip-flopper, there is one issue you won't find Kerry changing his mind, Capital Punishment. For the first time since the 1980's, the Democratic Presidential platform will not include supporting the death-penalty. This could be an important factor in his run for the White House.

www.thenation.com
BOSTON -- The Democratic party platform that will be adopted this week includes one particularly significant change from the platforms adopted by the party conventions of 1992, 1996 and 2000. During the platform-writing process, the drafting committee quietly removed the section of the document that endorsed capital punishment. Thus, for the first time since the 1980s, Democrats will not be campaigning on a pro-death penalty program.

Why the change?

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a breath of fresh air for those who want to see some actual diversity of opinions on key issues in these waning months of the election year.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I forgot to link to an ATS thread which shows that there are definitely opposing views on the Capital Punishment issue. For some insight to the pulse of some of our own visit this thread....

Death Penalty (effective Punishment or Cruel and Unusual)?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I participated in that ATS thread, and although I strongly believe alot of people can't be rehabilitated and let loose back into society and deserve the death penalty, I also believe the current issues with this "War on Terror" need to be addressed and need to be a TOP PRIORITY for this years Presidential campaign.

Anyone sentenced the death penalty will sit at least 11.5 years on death row with plenty of time for appeals, dna testing, etc..

We have alot more people dying in this war with Iraq than we have put to death from death penalty sentencing.

My point being, I am more concerned with how Kerry is going to handle things (making the peace, meding fences) on an international level than controversial domestic issues at this time.

[edit on 27-7-2004 by mako0956]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I sure hope this gives Kerry that extra edge. Personally, I think we should give people on death row to the terrorists to behead, keep both sides happy,

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Or why not enlist convicted criminals to active war duty? They seem to have the right to vote, so why not give them to opportunity to give back to their country.

I say no death penalty, compulsory enlistment to army is the way to go ? bottom line is that the taxpayers don't have to pay to keep felons in jail.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I keep wondering if the US actually captures some terrorists who have killed thousands or millions with Kerry as president, if the public will still feel the same as Kerry about not having a death penalty. On the other hand I don't believe Kerry is going to appoint enough judges to make the death penalty unconstitional. Does someone know if this is a possibility if Kerry becomes president? (that is if the death penalty could be ruled unconstitional from some Kerry appointees to the supreme court) The strange thing about Kerry not supporting the death penalty for the guilty is that he does for the innocent unborn, but I guess that's a different thread.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
Or why not enlist convicted criminals to active war duty? They seem to have the right to vote, so why not give them to opportunity to give back to their country.

I say no death penalty, compulsory enlistment to army is the way to go ? bottom line is that the taxpayers don't have to pay to keep felons in jail.

Remember that WWII movie, the Dirty Dozen? That was exactly the concept: criminals as soldiers instead of being cell bound, given freedom if they succeed in their mission. Great movie, BTW...

If prisoners were given a choice between lengthy cell time or enlistment for, say, 2-3 years, I wonder how many would sign up. If done as a choice for non-violent criminals, it could have multiple benefits: save prison costs & provide serious rehabilitation. I think your idea might warrant a thread of its own.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I like the the Dirty Dozen Idea above. The only problem is todays army is so much different that the Army my Grandfather was in. I doubt the army would want the headache.

new topics

top topics

join