It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't concentrate!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I've noticed the same thing in myself over the past few years, mainly a lack of focus and not finding it easy to concentrate like I used to be able to - I wouldn't call it ADHD, but it feels like it's something along those lines. I always supposed it was just to do with getting older for me (just turned 40!), as it's not like I've changed my diet a great deal. I certainly didn't like the feeling though, kinda like something had taken the sharpness from my thinking - and it's all downhill from here

I experimented with a number of smart drugs like piracetam and huperzine with no noticeable success, got nothing at all from taking vitamins, oils and supplements either, and although Ritalin, Adderall and even Modafinil definitely did the trick, they made me too wired and strung-out to consider taking them any longer.

Now I take 600mg of adrafinil daily and it really helps, for me at least - it's just enough to bring back my edge again without any side-effects, and allows me to concentrate with no distractions. I also eat a shedload of fruit daily which definitely helps with the energy side of things, invest in a smoothie-maker if you've not got one already

Exercise is definitely good too, and I can recommend using EFT when needed (google it)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Jeez Saturn, please don't bore me with your life story.

Just kidding, I didn't even read it all... wonder why...

These things are normal. It's happening to many people and not all diet related. Shame on you, still... hehe... Saturn is a planet of hardship, so good luck. Why is this happening? You may ask that...

This is due to the massive influx of energy flowing onto our planet in preparation for 2012 and the planetary ascension. There is also an amazing amount of genetic codes and data compressed here, hence the heavy amount of manipulation from outside factions.

Enough of that mumbo jumbo... I was once told that ADHD stands for 'Attention Dialed to Higher Dimensions. It's true and that's where we are heading. WAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!

edit on 17-4-2011 by Mayura because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jidnum

Yeah I'm a fan of el fuerte and ken. But we won't expose my geekyness on here. That stays between me and you right ?

But you understand the point. First you train and then it becomes natural. And I don't know wether this is me but: everything seems to be muscle memory for me!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. I've been experiencing similar issues, my mental faculties are definitely not up to par. I was actually going to make a doctors appointment tomorrow because lately I find myself unable to process things at a normal rate. I was on my campus taking a pharmacology test the other day and I almost had a panic attack when I found myself not being able to spell for a solid three minutes. I have made no substantial changes in my diet, activity levels and my stress level has remained fairly consistent throughout the year. This is some eerie stuff...
edit on 17-4-2011 by Sentience365 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
E.F.A.s!!! Essential fatty acids are crucial to concentration. Fish is one of the top sources of the essential Omega-3s DHA and EPA known to man. If you don't like fish or fear contamination issues from polluted fisheries there are plenty of supplements out there that promote optimal neural path function, concentration, focus etc.
Flaxseed oil and borage oil are also good sources of Omega 3,Omega 6 and Omega 9. My favorite supplement company is Youngevity. They have several products to promote concentration/memory and are the highest quality supplements I have found on the market.

Hope this helps. It's definitely getting harder and harder to maintain normal brain functioning these days. I feel your pain.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I don't think you understand what the difference is between natural sugar and refined sugar or artificial sweeteners. Wait gain comes from the fact that your body can't metabolize it fast enough, this usually happens with refined or manufactured products...the more "raw" the the sweetener is the easier it is for your body to metabolize it. Honey won't cause weight gain unless you plan on eating a ton of it, but that happens with anything you over indulge on. Try using 100% maple syrup. I use it to sweeten pure cranberry juice since its really bitter and dry. It doesn't taste like maple but it has a nice sweet taste to it.

I mean no offense but I did the research on truvia for you and you still don't get that it's not good for you, or maybe you do and refuse to change to something more RAW and natural.

Just thought I'd help shed some light on why your brain is cloudy.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Not only you. I noticed a steady drop lately with all left-brain functions around me.
I work with words all the time - reading, teaching, lecturing and doing NLP therapy.
Speech is also more broken and convoluted except for those that deliberately work on it - trainers, therapists etc.

I have to mention two general things because I have experienced them for years:
1. Microwave radiation from cell phones and cell towers, much worse when metal walls reflect a self-strengthening signal. If I arrive at agroup to teach and they have wi-fi in the apartment, and four cells muted during class, we are all literally fighint for finding our words. I notice this very sharply.

Sometimes I meditate with a wire mesh hidden in my cap.

2. People with thyroid deficiency are more adversely affected - they call this Wilson's Syndrome I think. I physically feel the pressure when someone is talking on a cell in my car. Afterwards my thyropid area usually hurts, and there is a metallic taste in my mouth and sudden urges to drink large quantities of fluids.

This can be alleviated for some people by taking bioactive iodine or thyroxine. Naturally processed iodine from kelp and seaweed and fish is the best. I buy my blue iodine from www.kekjod.hu - maybe you can get a Google translation.

So, protect yourself from non-ionizing radiation, cut down on coffee, eat more naturally (I found green and other teas still helped. Stevia actually does good for you, it is not only a natural sweetening herb but it cures some stuff. Tibi-cultured drink (water kephyr) is also good for those that have a ruined intestinal flora - or Kombucha.

Take gingko leaves time to time. Gotu Kola also directly helps concentration. In the US you can buy powdered herb form.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

It is not just the fluoride in the water its the copper,barium,nickle,aluminum,rust,chlorine,and tons more and even then you have medical waste that is secreted via urine and defecation.
Its all in the water and unless you have a Reverse Osmosis system it is going into your body.
We just put such a system in and we bought a very accurate digital water reader to check it out.
This is just suspended particles but you will get the idea.
Our tap water reads at 109 ppm.
Our RO water reads at 4 ppm.
I suggest to anyone doubting me to do a google and learn for yourself.
These systems rid your home water of up to 98% of all chems.
Be aware,
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 17-4-2011 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

SaturnFX could there may be things going on in your life that you are aware of but have not realized how much they are impacting you? . Pressure higher than usual at work or in school? Is everything hunky-dory with the relationship / family? Any big changes in your life over the last year: new job, unemployment, bought or lost a house, moved to new place, broke off a long relationship?

I'm just poking around to get you thinking, reflecting. I'm wondering if you are feeling distracted simply because you are distracted. Most people have their plate full, and maybe your tray is overloaded too.

Could be you need to visit the optometrist? Vision can falter slowly and perhaps you can't maintain your old pace because your eyes are bothering you.

This I know works; google "be here now". You will find instruction created to help freshman college students who are at odds from all the distractions of new campus life to regain their ability to concentrate and focus. The "be here now" method works well enough that it helps ADD / ADHD patients.

Other areas I would look into, if need be, is are you getting sufficient, full rest, and a proper diet. Best of luck to you my friend. Don't give up, I know you can bounce back from the '15 second attention span' mindset. You are already on the way with your OP. Good for you

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sentience365
I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. I've been experiencing similar issues, my mental faculties are definitely not up to par. I was actually going to make a doctors appointment tomorrow because lately I find myself unable to process things at a normal rate. I was on my campus taking a pharmacology test the other day and I almost had a panic attack when I found myself not being able to spell for a solid three minutes. I have made no substantial changes in my diet, activity levels and my stress level has remained fairly consistent throughout the year. This is some eerie stuff...
edit on 17-4-2011 by Sentience365 because: (no reason given)

That is scary. I was just reading up the page after I posted, and your post kind of freaked me out. I wonder if the stress/strain of your studies gave you the 'brainfart' (to use a Pinky & The Brain term). I hope this does not happen to you again, and I wish you the best in your studies. I admire people that go into the Medical field, for many of them it is a learned calling. People that help other people are my favorite people

But your post reminded me of an odd bit happened to me maybe 5 weeks ago. I was in my kitchen and I needed to note the time so I would know when to take dinner from the oven. I stood there staring at the clock for a few minutes.

I had totally lost understanding / memory of how to tell time. I stared at the decorative wall clock hands and numbers in total puzzlement. I finally gave up and left the room. I've never had such a thing happen to me. It bothered me very much but I found it too embarrassing to talk about with anyone.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

This has also been happening to me and members in my family. I recently did a raw organic foods diet for the whole house to rid us of chemicals and started to purchase only organic when we can. I have maybe two sodas a month and do not drink alcohol. I will admit I am a closet smoker(three or less a day). I thought the fuzz in our heads was due to the foods we eat or something yet after the detox we were all the same just confused with more energy.

Our whole home is filled with avid readers, we go to the library weekly to get new books yet lately we can not stay focused and have resorted to selecting more than one book to read at a time. I do not find myself unable to read just unable to stay with one topic for too long.

I also am having extreme difficulty spelling (thank you firefox) which is not the norm for me which can be very frustrating being in my capstone course. I have even resorted to counting on my fingers when adding things up sometimes. I honestly was panicking the thought of getting my degree and then losing all mental function is scary.

Ginseng is a great herb to help boost energy and memory, even helps with short term bouts of stress and depression. Ashwaganda is also a good herb for your immune system and can boost energy and mental function. I did find that with these sitting still became complicated, I felt the need to complete each to-do-list I ever created.

I feel like I am loosing touch with myself, and am oddly grateful that I am not the only one. Thank you for helping me feel like I have not lost my mind.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayura

Jeez Saturn, please don't bore me with your life story.

Just kidding, I didn't even read it all... wonder why...

These things are normal. It's happening to many people and not all diet related. Shame on you, still... hehe... Saturn is a planet of hardship, so good luck. Why is this happening? You may ask that...

This is due to the massive influx of energy flowing onto our planet in preparation for 2012 and the planetary ascension. There is also an amazing amount of genetic codes and data compressed here, hence the heavy amount of manipulation from outside factions.

Enough of that mumbo jumbo... I was once told that ADHD stands for 'Attention Dialed to Higher Dimensions. It's true and that's where we are heading. WAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!

edit on 17-4-2011 by Mayura because: (no reason given)

It is a natural process, the beginning of your spiritual AWAKENING, don't need to fight it. We are spiritual beings trapped in this material world.

We are going through a change in the way we think, comes 2012 you will be totally different person, perhaps in a different world...it all depends on you, take control of yourselves. Do not fight this natural process, but ride the wave.

Shrug away all your sinful ways and humble yourselves. Show more love than you ever did before, focus on helping others achieve this, and be at peace.

InnerPEACE

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

Hey, I appreciate the encouragement around my studies! I am not directly studying medicine though, I'm a psychology major. I work in community mental health, however, and I am thinking that this may not be the field for me (maybe I like the medical field after all). I took the pharmacology course with my girlfriend who is going into medicine, I figured I could fulfill some credit needs along the way.

But to get back to the 'brain fart' thing, yes it scared the hell out of me. I was actually sitting next to my girlfriend during the test and she was looking at me with concern as I moved the pen back and forth from the sheet of paper. I absolutely could not get my brain to tell my hands what I wanted to write. It's funny that you mentioned the clock thing, the exact situation has not happened to me, but I often go into the kitchen and forget what I went there for in the first place (it's been happening MUCH more then usual lately). A poster above mentioned fatty acids as a solution but this is definitely not my problem since I take twice the amount of mercury-free fish oil that one needs daily. I also consume a lot of ground flax and olive oil for bodybuilding purposes.

It's a good thing the OP decided to start this thread. The rest of us who are too embarrassed to mention this these happenings to others can now begin to share our stories lol.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I noticed last year that I was having the same problem. I found it very frustrating that when I would try to study, I'd have to stop after a few pages, something that never happened to me in the past.

What changed it big time for me was nearly eliminating TV. I know this sounds strange, but eliminating TV watching was nearly the hardest thing I've ever done, and I never expected to go through the withdraw that I did. It scared me actually.

It took nearly a full year to adjust, and now I hardly ever watch it -- just specific shows, and I only download them, I avoid commercials at all costs. It's amazing the ways things have changed. I don't really know how to describe it. It's like I truly was addicted, and after getting clean for awhile, I was able to see the true nature of television, its worthlessness.

I also changed my diet to 98% farm-raised meat, veggies, and good fats. Almost no sugar. This also made a big difference.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Saturn, everytime I look at your avatar I can almost hear the hypno-toad sound from Futurama.

Wait, what was this thread about again?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I have noticed a tendency on my part as well to have issues reading lengthier things. I still read books, but now they take forever to read because I can only read a paragraph or two and have to take a break.

Just in the last... No more than 6 months. Maybe only 4.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jidnum

I don't think you understand what the difference is between natural sugar and refined sugar or artificial sweeteners. Wait gain comes from the fact that your body can't metabolize it fast enough, this usually happens with refined or manufactured products...the more "raw" the the sweetener is the easier it is for your body to metabolize it. Honey won't cause weight gain unless you plan on eating a ton of it, but that happens with anything you over indulge on. Try using 100% maple syrup. I use it to sweeten pure cranberry juice since its really bitter and dry. It doesn't taste like maple but it has a nice sweet taste to it.

I mean no offense but I did the research on truvia for you and you still don't get that it's not good for you, or maybe you do and refuse to change to something more RAW and natural.

Just thought I'd help shed some light on why your brain is cloudy.

I will switch to the sugar in the raw stuff and see if that makes a difference...cheers for the input

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder

It is not just the fluoride in the water its the copper,barium,nickle,aluminum,rust,chlorine,and tons more and even then you have medical waste that is secreted via urine and defecation.
Its all in the water and unless you have a Reverse Osmosis system it is going into your body.
We just put such a system in and we bought a very accurate digital water reader to check it out.
This is just suspended particles but you will get the idea.
Our tap water reads at 109 ppm.
Our RO water reads at 4 ppm.
I suggest to anyone doubting me to do a google and learn for yourself.
These systems rid your home water of up to 98% of all chems.
Be aware,
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 17-4-2011 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

Well, I got a natural well working with a triple filtering system...so, pretty pure
of course I don't really drink tap water (make coffee with it, thats about it)...so, the water used in things like cola, and other sources are out of my control

Sort of amusing...you can be careful about your water supply, then buy some groceries with products using crap water.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
You may find THIS ARTICLE interesting.

Among the constantly connected, many say they suddenly lack the focus and attention span they once had. They find it harder to get through a book, movie, conversation or even article (where you going, reader?) without feeling the tug of technology.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Let me know how it goes for you.

Sorry if i sounded a bit rude or aggressive, I'm just a very passionate believer that what you put in your body will affect your mind, body and spirit. The closer to raw you eat the better you feel. I would recommend a detox or fast but it can be tough for some due to huge headaches or fatigue because your body is releasing toxins such as refined sugar, chemicals and preservatives in food. Which is good because you end up resetting your habits, you eat less and you feel more energetic because your body isn't all confused by the bad stuff in it and you can let it do what its supposed to.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join