It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Production team of Lord of War bought 3000 real Ak's, because it was cheaper than the prop guns.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I enjoyed this movie, and read up on it a bit.Found this on Wiki, and i find it rather ludicrous, how the actual weapons are cheaper than the prop guns.

A scene in the movie featured 50 tanks, which were provided by a Czech source. The tanks were only available until December of the year of filming. They were to be returned so they could be sold to Libya.[9] The production team bought 3000 real AK-47 rifles because they were cheaper than prop guns.[

Wiki

Here is the link to the actual article.

A piece from the article.

He could not afford to destroy them because he had a small budget, but he said: "In South Africa, we did cut some guns in half to stop them from getting into circulation. The fact that it was so easy to buy guns was disturbing.

What do you guys make off this.? Just a good business sense, or does it show how the world is overloaded with cheap easily accesable weapons?

VVv

edit on 17-4-2011 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I remember watching the movie with my dad. When he saw the guns here is what happened:

"What are those guns called?"
"Ak-47s dad"
"They look very real, almost to real
"
"They're supposed to look real...Its a movie..."

I guess he was right

There was no posts so I made the text bigger...
edit on 17-4-2011 by xShadow13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
It is good that guns are cheap and plentiful.

They are the great equalizer; putting a 75 year old man on par with a 25 year old linebacker.

Edit:

Check out this sweet deal - it was even cheaper to buy a case years ago:

edit on 17-4-2011 by Exuberant1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Ha. I have both the AK and Mosin. Both are great guns. I suggest everyone have "several" on hand with plenty of cheap ammo. check www.sportsmansguide.com for that.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Sorry but why shouldn't guns be cheap and accessible? I fail to see how this is a bad thing?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
I enjoyed this movie, and read up on it a bit.Found this on Wiki, and i find it rather ludicrous, how the actual weapons are cheaper than the prop guns.

AK-47's are dirt cheap. If you have $500, you could get yourself a brand spanking new one. $100 for a used one.

Places like Lebanon, Syria, and some Balkan countries are flooded with AK-47s. And in some African countries, you could buy yourself an AK-47 for a measly $25. A lot less then buying prop AK-47s.
edit on 18-4-2011 by BiGGz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join