It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Putting It All Together: A theory of historical proportions involving WA,ID,MT,WY,NV,OR and CA.

page: 8
173
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
This means that the subduction zone DOES continue SE right through the MIDDLE of California, basically cutting it in half.


Look at the geology of California, its main features are mountain ranges of different compositions on either side with a very long, low valley. To the west most of its composition is accretive ocean floor, to the east; volcanics.

It doesn't take a stretch of imagination to see, indeed, that 'something' is in the middle of the state or causing it to be low and stretched out...a very precarious *something* that if it were to cause the ground to sink but a few hundred feet would all be underwater and I would have beachfront property.




posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by avatar22
OK Westcoast, take a look at this ...
What if there are 2 "rivers", not just one?
Canada
This map shows the past 30 days of eq activity in the western portion of Canada. If you look closely you can see 2 distinct "lines" of activity. If you then compare that image to the current USGS map
USGS
you can see that the lines continue through the US and converge in the southern portion of CA.
The Western "river" runs along your current line, the Eastern "river" runs THROUGH Yellowstone and south of the NV swarm and connects in with the current swarms in the So Cal region.
Maybe you are right to be worrying about Mexicali???

(



posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Apparently these tremor clusters are not really anything new. Take a look at the information from this citation from the Journal of Geophysical Research, linked to the tremor map:




Episodic tremor and slip (ETS), the spatial and temporal correlation of slow slip events monitored via GPS surface displacements and nonvolcanic tremor (NVT) monitored via seismic signals, is a newly discovered mode of deformation thought to be occurring downdip from the seismogenic zone along several subduction zone megathrusts.


and...



We investigate in detail eight NVT episodes between November 2005 and August 2007 with source locations extending over a 650 km along-strike region from northern California to northern Oregon. We find complex tremor migration patterns with periods of steady migration (4–10 km/d), halting, and frequent along-strike jumps (30–400 km) in activity.


Rest of article found here -----> Patterns of Nonvolcanic Tremor



posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein
 


Well, the more I think about it and read about it and based on an email I got from a geologist, I certainly don't think I am the first and certainly not the only one to see it. There are multiple threads going here right now talking about one part of it or another, I just had the *duh* moment and (continue) to see the connections. I wouldn't be at all surpised if there is a whole lot more either speculated or known that just hasn't quite hit the media yet. Remember, the discovery of the cascadian subduction was somewhat recent and it wasn't until the past year or so that they determined it is acutally through puget sound and very near Seattle, going under the Olympic peninsula. Up until then they were saying it was several miles offshore.

This is a developing science.




The historical record for this zone, which has the longest recorded data about its earthquakes of any major fault in the world, shows that earthquakes occur in clusters of up to five events, with an average time interval of 300 years between quakes...





The two most recent quakes on this fault occurred in the year 1700 (a magnitude 9 event) and approximately the year 1500. It has now been 305 years since the last event. So is the Cascadia subduction zone finished for now or on the brink of event number five?





The Cascadia subduction zone occurs where the relatively thin Juan de Fuca plate moves eastward and under the westward-moving North American Plate. When that collision results in a rupture, massive earthquakes occur. The other active subduction zone capable of producing a major earthquake-tsunami sequence is in Alaska, the site of a giant earthquake and subsequent tsunami in 1964.





Scientists say a rupture along the Cascadia fault would cause the sea floor to bounce 20 feet or more, setting off powerful ocean waves relatively close to shore. The first waves could hit coastal communities in 30 minutes or less -- too rapidly for the current warning systems to save lives.





Major studies on the Cascadia fault zone have identified 19 to 21 major earthquake events during the past 10,000 years. During at least 17 of these events, the entire fault zone probably ruptured at once, causing an earthquake around magnitude 9 and major tsunamis...





"In the case of the Cascadia Subduction Zone, you could have an area of ocean floor that's 50 miles wide and 500 to 600 miles long suddenly snap back, causing a huge tsunami," Goldfinger said. "At the same time, we could expect some parts of the upper, or North American, plate to sink one to two meters. These are massive tectonic events. Subduction zones produce the most powerful earthquakes and tsunamis in the world."


Source
(please keep in mind this article is from 2005 and they have the location of the subduction zone wrong..it is further east)



posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by czygyny

Originally posted by westcoast
This means that the subduction zone DOES continue SE right through the MIDDLE of California, basically cutting it in half.


Look at the geology of California, its main features are mountain ranges of different compositions on either side with a very long, low valley. To the west most of its composition is accretive ocean floor, to the east; volcanics.

It doesn't take a stretch of imagination to see, indeed, that 'something' is in the middle of the state or causing it to be low and stretched out...a very precarious *something* that if it were to cause the ground to sink but a few hundred feet would all be underwater and I would have beachfront property.


Yes...if you read the above article I just linked, you can see that the San Andreas Fault rupture happened during the last mega thrust quake on the cascade subduction zone. What I think, is that there is a continued subduction zone going through California, and that the upthrust of the last event is what caused the san andreas fault. That the san andreas fault and quakes are but a symptom of the the subduction zone. SO...is it far fetched to think/say that during the next mega thrust quake the san andreas fault might finishing ripping open?



posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by avatar22
 


Good eye.....yes, I agree with Isaac. I think it is all about the pressure.

@ Isaac.....where that sharp ending line of tremors are at, is basically where the hypothetical end of the subduction zone meets up with the juan de fuca and mendocino zone. A triple juncture, much like at the northern end. But as you can see by this map, it has been believed to be off-shore vs where the tremors and quakes place it (much like with the subduction zone).

I have been in communication with one of the geologists involved in developing and monitoring the deep tremor array. In his last email he indicated that there has been a lot of interest in monitoring the tremors that continue south, but that there are issues with data flow between different networks. Hmmmm....



posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

Yes...if you read the above article I just linked, you can see that the San Andreas Fault rupture happened during the last mega thrust quake on the cascade subduction zone. What I think, is that there is a continued subduction zone going through California, and that the upthrust of the last event is what caused the san andreas fault. That the san andreas fault and quakes are but a symptom of the the subduction zone. SO...is it far fetched to think/say that during the next mega thrust quake the san andreas fault might finishing ripping open?


No doubt the beautiful west coast lies atop a restless bed(rock)...the foremost question is *when* it will act. Even a well placed earthquake and tsunami would be enough to cause overwhelming destruction without the San Andreas breaking any further...but if it did the result would be catastrophic.

Did you get a chance to listen to Mt. St. Helen's heartbeats? (earlier post)



posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by czygyny
 


No, the tremors have been going on for around ten years (that they know of) There has been increased monitoring of it of late, and something else the geologist pointed out to me is that our view of these are very narrow time-wise so really don't know what any of it means.

My focus, regarding this thread was the more recent clustering at the southern end. As far as I have observed (which has been for less than a year, keep in mind) the tremors are usually more wide-spread. Certainly doesn't mean what we are seeing isn't 'normal', but more importantly is that it clearly shows to me anyways that the tremors don't stop there. That they need to extend the array network and use it to help map out the true pathway of the subduction zone, or whatever it is that is down there causing this. Because it is clearly something!!

ETA...I have tried numerous times to listen to that sound bytw and for some reason my stupid media player isn't working!! ugh!!
edit on 21-4-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-4-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast
 

Greetings Fellow Ellensburg Bulldog:

Are the blackberries still the sweetest on the south-facing slopes of Menashtash Canyon?
The fishing was always great there, too.

While looking for underground water sources, this came up and seemed to be a different piece of the puzzle to consider.


Abandoned mines with associated acid mine drainage (AMD) discharges are among the greatest threats to ground and surface water quality in many areas of the United States.

While mining is extremely important to our standard of living, energy production, and national security, it can disturb the land and alter the hydrologic balance—affecting the quality and quantity of ground and surface waters in the vicinity of mining operations.
(...) source


Wondering if any of these mines abandoned due to flooding might be interconnected by the aquifers?

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw



posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...



Magnitude
3.4
Date-Time
Friday, April 22, 2011 at 01:32:14 UTC
Thursday, April 21, 2011 at 06:32:14 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Location
40.810°N, 123.960°W
Depth
24.2 km (15.0 miles)
Region
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
Distances
8 km (5 miles) SSE (163°) from Blue Lake, CA
12 km (8 miles) SE (124°) from Arcata, CA
14 km (9 miles) E (81°) from Myrtletown, CA
17 km (11 miles) E (83°) from Eureka, CA
329 km (204 miles) NW (320°) from Sacramento, CA
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 0.4 km (0.2 miles); depth +/- 0.7 km (0.4 miles)
Parameters
Nph= 20, Dmin=6 km, Rmss=0.13 sec, Gp= 76°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=2
Source
California Integrated Seismic Net:
USGS Caltech CGS UCB UCSD UNR
Event ID
nc71562581


earthquake.usgs.gov...

04/21/2011
2.4 Hours
37 Epicenters

www.pnsn.org...

Directly across from Eureka



posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal
 


Did you see the one at Mt. St. Helens? 1.8 about 30 minutes ago. It looked like it was right inside the caldera.



posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by painterdude
 


I did

Here's the specs on that


This is a computer-generated message -- this event has not yet been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude
1.8
Date-Time
Friday, April 22, 2011 at 02:47:39 UTC
Thursday, April 21, 2011 at 07:47:39 PM at epicenter
Location
46.213°N, 122.183°W
Depth
0 km (~0 mile) set by location program
Region
MOUNT ST. HELENS AREA, WASHINGTON
Distances
1 km (1 miles) N (350°) from Mount St. Helens Volcano, WA
39 km (24 miles) S (169°) from Morton, WA
41 km (25 miles) NNE (32°) from Amboy, WA
60 km (37 miles) E (82°) from Longview, WA
72 km (45 miles) NNE (27°) from Vancouver, WA
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 0.3 km (0.2 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters
NST= 11, Nph= 11, Dmin=0 km, Rmss=0.42 sec, Gp= 76°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=0
Source
Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network
Event ID
uw04220247



posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
 


off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift


 



posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by painterdude
 


Micro quakes on or near helens isn't too unusuall. You are right though that it appears to be right on top of it.

THIS is seems to be the best station for viewing the recent quakes. (there looks to be more than one)

Something to keep an eye on, but not worrisome. I am more interested in the scattered, small very deep quakes we have had over the past few days. These are more likely coming from the subduction zone.

That last one in Northern California was right on the juncture, so worth paying attention to. Not big by any means, but could be a foreshock.

@thefourwinds....can you believe I never picked blackberries there? I only lived in Ellensburg for two years...grew up in Yakima. I did pick corn though.


The mine theory is an interesting one. There are a bunch around that's for sure.



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast
 


I am SO glad to see/hear someone who is really monitoring and investigating whats really going on with the Earth right now. It makes perfect sense!!!
I have only recently started investigating myself as I live in Tennessee and concerned when I heard about the swarm in Arkansas which was the cause for my beginning investigation in quakes around January of this year.

If and when you have time, please tell me your thoughts regarding the swarm in Arkansas. ;-) Thank you!



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ
 


Hi mamaj! I spent quite a bit of time on the arkansas thread. Have you been there? Look it up, if not. TONS of info.

Me personally, I have always had a gut feeling that there is something either magmatic or volcanic about it. I am NOT a geologist, nor do I have any professional training so don't take my word by any means. It is just the odd ways the signatures and swarms have behaved. Now, I do think that the fracking is tied into it, perhaps as a trigger but not the sole cause. There is mounting evidence for at leas past volcanic activity in the vicinity of the swarm so I do not think it much of a stretch. Of course the new madrid is always a concern, and do I think everyting could be connected? (what I am talking about on this thread and arkansas)....most certainly. I am not at a point to speculate about that now because there just hasn't been enough evidence (that i have seen) to make that connection....YET. I am not saying I think it probable, only possible.

Will the new madrid go? Ofcourse it will, some day. Could be today might be 100, 200 years from now.

Will the cascadian subduction zone go? Unfortunately most likely sooner than later...at least, according to the historical records and scientists. (whithin the next 20-30 yrs or so at the latest they say)

Glad you like the thread. I don't want to scare people, but just promote awareness and an open mind. Geology is a very fun science...more to learn than there is already known!!!

edit on 22-4-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast
 


Thank you for your prompt insight and thoughts. I do appreciate like minded individuals researching their interests as I find this subject along with others really interesting to say the least. Its all connected, I totally agree and science is ever changing just like this Earth and Solar System. As you investigate and inform others please know that some of us are are simply wanting to remain aware of our surroundings and what is truly going on in and around Earth as we live here and hope for many generations to be able to "live" here. Its like no other time in our History and I thank God for people such as yourself who help keep people like myself informed. I want the knowledge, as I am a seeker of truth! Fear is for sissys....lol I just want to remain aware. For ME..I'm in God's hands. I will die one way or another thats a fact.
Thank you again, and please ignore the ones who love spitting ugly words at you as they are simply jealous of your insight and awareness of the "bigger picture".



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
reply to post by westcoast
 


I am SO glad to see/hear someone who is really monitoring and investigating whats really going on with the Earth right now. It makes perfect sense!!!
I have only recently started investigating myself as I live in Tennessee and concerned when I heard about the swarm in Arkansas which was the cause for my beginning investigation in quakes around January of this year.

If and when you have time, please tell me your thoughts regarding the swarm in Arkansas. ;-) Thank you!


MamaJ... here is the link to the Arkansas thread. Don't be intimidated by the size. All those pages are filled with fantastic information and thoughtful, thorough research. Also, on the last few pages, there are links to ABC's Nightline. who did a story on the earthquakes in Arkansas, last night. So please head on over, read through and join the conversation.


ATS Thread - Earthquake Swarm In Arkansas Intensifies...



posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
So here is a current screen shot of the USGS EQ map of the US. I can't help but notice how the quakes match up with my earlier map showing where I suspect the subduction zone continues:





Now, I could go making lines and connecting quakes all over the globe and probably come up with some amusing and interesting drawings. The difference here is, We have moderate to large quakes lying right on top of where I suspect the zone could be. The top half of this is the accepted (by mainstream scientists) location, the lower half not, although it is riddled with other faults.

So again, the FACT that the San Andreas fault was created during the last mega thrust quake I think just adds credence to this theory. I believe that the uplift in the landmass (california) whithin the subduction zone under it, caused the earth to crack which is what created the San Andreas fault. Think about it. If you understan the force and mechanics involved here, it makes sense. The uplift would have occured EAST of that location, therefore flexing or bending the shelf of the North American Plate to the WEST. It fractured at its weakest point, creating the San Andreas Fault.

To the North, we have the Cascade volcano range to the east of the zone (almost over top of it)....to the south, we have several known volcanic areas and calderas. Look at the map. They are in line with the cascade range and where I drew the subduction zone. I think it is very plausable. The swarm at hawthorne right now plays right into it.



posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
So here is a current screen shot of the USGS EQ map of the US. I can't help but notice how the quakes match up with my earlier map showing where I suspect the subduction zone continues:





Now, I could go making lines and connecting quakes all over the globe and probably come up with some amusing and interesting drawings. The difference here is, We have moderate to large quakes lying right on top of where I suspect the zone could be. The top half of this is the accepted (by mainstream scientists) location, the lower half not, although it is riddled with other faults.

So again, the FACT that the San Andreas fault was created during the last mega thrust quake I think just adds credence to this theory. I believe that the uplift in the landmass (california) whithin the subduction zone under it, caused the earth to crack which is what created the San Andreas fault. Think about it. If you understan the force and mechanics involved here, it makes sense. The uplift would have occured EAST of that location, therefore flexing or bending the shelf of the North American Plate to the WEST. It fractured at its weakest point, creating the San Andreas Fault.

To the North, we have the Cascade volcano range to the east of the zone (almost over top of it)....to the south, we have several known volcanic areas and calderas. Look at the map. They are in line with the cascade range and where I drew the subduction zone. I think it is very plausable. The swarm at hawthorne right now plays right into it.


WOW - I can't believe I just now have made the connection.

Westcoast - do you by any chance remember this thread I made a few months ago? If not do you mind reading the first post and letting me know your thoughts? These comments apparently come from a USGS whisteblower who was silenced on the LA times for sharing sensitive data regarding the true nature of the San Andreas fault and a massive rupture is imminent:

www.abovetopsecret.com...



new topics

top topics



 
173
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

log in

join