It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Not Forget About Other Important Family Members...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I haven't seen any discussions on the survival needs of other very important members of a lot of our families...

Our furry children aka our canine and feline companions. Most of us think nothing of stocking up food and medical supplies for ourselves, but forget to do the same for our pets. We have tamed them and made them become reliant on us for their every need, so it is up to us toshow them we are reliable when the chips are down.

Whether you believe doomsday is upon us or not, it is always a good idea to keep a first aid kit on hand for your pet. I ran across two good web sites which provide some good information on what your pet's kit should contain.

www.petsynergy.com...

THE FIRST AID KIT LIST

Thermometer, Lubricating jelly, Pediolyte , Honey , Syringes, Heating Pad, Hot Water Bottles, Bandages, Medical, Tape, Cotton Gauze squares, Cotton Swabs , Bandage Scissors, Tweezers, Bulb Syringe , Eyewash, Eyebright Solution, Hydrogen peroxide, Rubbing Alcohol, GoldenSeal or Calendula ointment, Rescue Remedy, Arnica, Kao-Pectate , Slippery Elm.

Local Veterinarian Number
Emergency Clinic Number
Numbers for the Animal Poison Hotline & Poison Control for Pets:
(1-800/548-2423 or 900/680-0000 they do charge a fee)

Some of the above listed items can be found in our own personal first aid kits, but many are not. Fortunately all seem to be very affordable and can be found easily. A small price to pay for the health and well being of your animal. The above web site also gives easy tips for a few basic first aid procedures and indications of certain signs of illness.

This link...
www.ehow.com...

Contains mostly the same items and just posted as a second source for accuracy.

This web site...
www.911bc.org...

Gives very good safety tips for your animal in case of an emergency or disaster such as -

Pet Safety Fact #1: Take several pictures of all the animals in your household and keep these pictures with your important insurance papers (include vaccination records, too). Be sure to include in the pictures any distinguishing marks. These pictures can help reunite you with a lost pet. Store the pictures in a resealable plastic bag in case you have to post them during rainy months.

Pet Safety Fact #2: Have at least a week's supply of pet food and water on hand at all times. Store the dry food in air tight/waterproof containers. If you use canned food, buy the flip top cans or have a can opener in your airtight disaster supply container. Keep some of your pet's favorite treats on hand - they get stressed, too, and a treat provides them some comfort. Also keep a supply of cat litter, a clean litter scoop, and litter pan in your disaster kit.

Pet Safety Fact #3: Put a collar and tag (with address and phone number) on your pets. This will increase your chances of reuniting you with your pets if they escape.

Pet Safety Fact #4: Always keep a back-up supply of your pets' medications. A vet may not be open for some time following a disaster. Prepare to ice down medications that need to be refrigerated (ice is available from the Red Cross). Ask your vet is he/she has a disaster plan. Your pets may need medical attention after a disaster and you need to know where to take your animal. Keep a first aid kit in your disaster kit for your pet (check with your vet on what to include).

It gives many more good tips that some of just don't normally think of everyday . I have two dogs and have learned a few good bits of information myself while reseaerching this. Hopefully you all will too.

Dried dog and cat food can keep for quite a while if you want to stockpile some safe food for them. And don't forget when you are making sure you have a good clean supply of drinking water, that your beloved pet will need plenty as well.

edit on 4/17/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Good info and definitely important for those that have furry lil kiddos.

We don't right now, but... Still good stuff to know

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Your pets? What about your aging parents? Or are they to be sacrificed?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

Your pets? What about your aging parents? Or are they to be sacrificed?

I figured anyone with any decency would not have forgotten to make sure their parents were prepared... hence the title of the thread.

Alas, I guess I should not have assumed that folks would think of caring for their parents. That's what I get for ASSuming I suppose.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Let me be the first to say I love my Dog. He is an alarm, a hunter, a companion, a morale bosster, but never forget he is not a human. He is not my wife, my son, or my daughter. If worse comes to worse he will be a meal. I understand the need to try to think ahead for the sake of our canine and feline friends I really do. It would break my heart to have to do something "unthinkable" for the sake of survival, but dogs and cats are a dime a dozen. Just look at the situation in Japan right now. That being said, I'm sure there would be more than enough "meat" to go around of that sort, so I am not planning on BBQing my little pooch... I'm just saying keep your priorities in order in case the SHTF. Kibbles and Bits will be the least of your worries.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

I figured anyone with any decency would not have forgotten to make sure their parents were prepared... hence the title of the thread.

TSHTF and decency goes right out the window. Meat is meat and stew is stew. prepare all you want, but when the "chips" are down it is you or them....are you ready to die for a dog?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Animals always pay the ultimate price.

We are animals, and we pay the ultimate price.

We are animals one step up from our pets.

And who deserves to survive - not us - the other animals deserve to survive.

Because we have wrecked the planet and they have not.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LastStand

Who's dieing for a dog? what in the hell are you talking about? the point of this thread is to not forget about having emergency kits and some food available to your pets.

And plus it would be the most stupid thing ever to kill your dog or cat, as they are pretty good hunters and will hunt small vermin, birds etc.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

It's a good question because I believe only a small minority would consider their aging parents.

If SHTF and I mean real SHTF, as a matter of survival in a disaster of unbeliveable magnitude, I am not ashamed to say I would kill my pet dog, as quick and pain free as possible.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Who's priorities are not straight? Keeping a first aid kit, food, and water for your pet in case of an emergency or disaster in no way obligates you to DIE for your pet.

I am having a hard time understanding this idea coming from left field. I think most folks would eat whatever animal they could if they were starving, however in my OP it stated to stock their food as you stocked your own. So hopefully no one will have to eat a pet...

This went from 0 to 60 in record time.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

I am just saying for the record...the pet is an emergency food! Plain and simple. This is how it has been since the beginning of time. The pet is a means to find food in an emergency. When the "pet" cannot earn it's keep it gets eaten. Simple rule of survival. This is a survival thread no?...Not an Emergency preparedness thread. You want emergency preparedness then maybe the FEMA site is more up your alley. Survival (which...lemme check...yup that's the title of this forum...) is brutal. Not humane, not nice, not civil...Get real.
edit on 4/17/2011 by LastStand because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

I would'nt even consider eating my pet dog......if I had no choice but to kill my pet, she would be buried or cremated.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by LastStand

TSHTF and decency goes right out the window. Meat is meat and stew is stew. prepare all you want, but when the "chips" are down it is you or them....are you ready to die for a dog?

Again... just wow.

Now how did assuming people making sure their parents were prepared wind up in a TSHTF scenario where I am dying for my dog?

And if decency goes out the window and meat is meat... I suppose we will be eating our unprepared parents? That is off the scale ludicrous how I came to that conclusion isn't it?

It's a good question because I believe only a small minority would consider their aging parents.

If SHTF and I mean real SHTF, as a matter of survival in a disaster of unbeliveable magnitude, I am not ashamed to say I would kill my pet dog, as quick and pain free as possible.

Why can there just not be an emergency or natural disaster discussed anywhere on ATS without it involving the death of almost every living, breathing thing in the known universe? Small disasters occur frequently as do emergencies. Should no one prepare to care for their animals just because any disaster has to be considered a SHTF and only .000009% of the population will survive? If a hurricane hits and you need enough food for 3 weeks, you should have that and not have to kill Champ to ease his pain.

The OP did not indicate a disaster of unbelievable magnitude... Just a disaster or an emergency.

As far as a small minority not considering their parents? That will not stop me from preparing mine, my family, and my pets for any kind of circumstance. Just because a few lack common decency/empathy does not mean all of us have to martyr ourselves.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
We could all just listen to Nancy Lieder ands put the puppies down like she does

...she also says they make a good meal

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by LastStand

I am just saying for the record...the pet is an emergency food! Plain and simple. This is how it has been since the beginning of time. The pet is a means to find food in an emergency. When the "pet" cannot earn it's keep it gets eaten. Simple rule of survival. This is a survival thread no?...Not an Emergency preparedness thread. You want emergency preparedness then maybe the FEMA site is more up your alley. Survival (which...lemme check...yup that's the title of this forum...) is brutal. Not humane, not nice, not civil...Get real.
edit on 4/17/2011 by LastStand because: (no reason given)

Awesome communication skills you have there.
I am impressed.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Who's priorities are not straight? Keeping a first aid kit, food, and water for your pet in case of an emergency or disaster in no way obligates you to DIE for your pet.

I am having a hard time understanding this idea coming from left field. I think most folks would eat whatever animal they could if they were starving, however in my OP it stated to stock their food as you stocked your own. So hopefully no one will have to eat a pet...

This went from 0 to 60 in record time.

I agree. I'm not sure where "locking your parents out in the cold" and "time to barbeque the cat and dog" responses are coming from and for what reason. As you stated, the thread is simply to remind those of us with pets to have a few extra supplies on hand for them as well. We live in the south, so lots of storms and tornadoes here in the summer months (already had a couple this year) and snow in the winter, so I always keep extra pet food on hand just in case.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

That is a good and valid point.

I live in the south where hunting is big. Anyone that has ever seen a dog tree a racoon, rabbit, squirrel, or jump a deer can tell you that some are extremely good hunters! It would be a benefit for sure if you had a dog that was trained to do those things. You reserve your energy while the dogs finds the food!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

The Op may not have indicated a disaster of great magnitude but that does'nt mean it would'nt happen. As I always say, expect the worst and hope for the best.

My posts are in regards to something so awful, so terrifying, so beyond anything we have ever seen that we can't even fathom. I would'nt consider killing my pet over a disaster that would only last weeks or months....but years, obsolutely.

There are enough crazy people out there that WOULD no doubt resort to cannibalism and don't doubt for a moment it's not possible.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Then I can understand your points.
I hope we never have to deal with anything that horrible for sure. I also would kill my dogs if their suffering was great, death was at the door, and I had no other alternative. Again, I hope neither of us are forced to make that decision.

As for cannabalism, I have no doubt many would turn to that if it came down to it. I would like to think that I would not resort to that... However, I have never been truly hungry in my life. Most of us have not. So I guess I could say it was disgusting and swear I wouldn't do it, but I could not give an honest answer since I have never been literally starving to death. It would surely be a devastating choice and a nightmarish experience.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybee

I agree. I'm not sure where "locking your parents out in the cold" and "time to barbeque the cat and dog" responses are coming from and for what reason. As you stated, the thread is simply to remind those of us with pets to have a few extra supplies on hand for them as well. We live in the south, so lots of storms and tornadoes here in the summer months (already had a couple this year) and snow in the winter, so I always keep extra pet food on hand just in case.

Yes we have had too many already IMO. I keep extra food as well, but never thought of an actual first aid kit until today. I had no clue it would wind up with me "getting real" about eating my dogs.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join