It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Emergency Manager" Replaces Elected Officials in Michigan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

www.detnews. com

In a move believed to be the first under sweeping new state legislation, Emergency Manager Joseph Harris suspended decision-making powers of city officials Friday.

Officials only can call meetings to order, adjourn them and approve minutes of meetings as part of the order issued Friday.

From The Detroit News: detnews.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
The official coup of our government is on. Emergency managers and emergency governors will become more and more common, especially as unrest spreads in America, total severing democracy as we know it.

Did you ever think "why didn't the Jews just leave Germany?"

That time is now in America.

Please comment and discuss

www.detnews. com

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I've noticed we have a lot of Michigander on ATS, and I think it's because of things like this.

We're probably screwed.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Im pretty sure this was already posted here a few days ago

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Oh damn...here we go...we all knew when they set it up that they were going to use it.
For anyone that doesn't completely understand this situation - this isn't about unions, this isn't about fiscal responsibility, this isn't about rebuilding communities...
THIS IS A CORPORATE TAKEOVER OF AMERICA

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Skerrako

Whoops already posted, Mods please close

New ATS search fail

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Are you going to leave it with just your fear mongering, or are you going to point out exactly whats going on in Benton Harbor?

Benton Harbor has been mismanaged, as the article says, for a long time. Hell even when I lived in Michigan many years ago, it was no different.

This is hardly a coup, as elected people are still there. Its hardly a coup when the populace becomes so frigging apathetic that they have let it go for the last 30 years. The issue that prompted this is in part of the trash contract that is currently undert litigation, among other issues involving city council.

But yeah.. I guess its better to put just part of the article that is taken out of context, than actually place clarifying information in the title.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skerrako

www.detnews. com

In a move believed to be the first under sweeping new state legislation, Emergency Manager Joseph Harris suspended decision-making powers of city officials Friday.

Officials only can call meetings to order, adjourn them and approve minutes of meetings as part of the order issued Friday.

From The Detroit News: detnews.com...

This violates both our state and the federal CONSTITUTION. We are currently working to remove those who have violated the law and charge them.
Soon we'll have a chance to remove snyder from office and we are doing everything we can legally to accomplish this before our state and rights are destroyed.
www.firericksnyder.org

We're working hard in michigan to remove these thugs and charge them with crimes. We want to prove to them that you cannot break the law with impunity here in michigan just because you hold office.
My personal message to snyder (I refuse to call him gov. snyder): Get some packing boxes at your local Home Depot and get your personal info together so you can apply for unemployment. You'll be out of a job soon. Also, you may want to get a good lawyer

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
this is vary vary bad!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
read jesse venturas new book--all of our government is corrupt--go by some guns and start training for shtf
or graze like sheep
this legaslation is another way for nwo to control local governments-control polititions-military in your face-they want control of everything
we should all walk away fron their plan the 4th of july this summer--default on everyting-stop paying taxes and tell the nwo to go to hell-
we will survive-its the only way and everybody knows it-it will force our government to default on the money we didnt give permission to borrow in our names--over 200.000 thousand dollars for every working man and woman

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
But Clinton's "FREE TRADE" was supposed to be awesome for America??

Detroit's dead? Well then can we please end FREE TRADE??

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Let me help you see things.

Benton Harbor has been mismanaged, as the article says, for a long time. Hell even when I lived in Michigan many years ago, it was no different.

About 40 states and our federal government have been mismanaged for a while too, so should we put an "emergency manager" over them too?

Its hardly a coup when the populace becomes so frigging apathetic that they have let it go for the last 30 years.

So instead of reforming or constitutionally changing leadership lets completely override it and give one person the power that 20 previously had. I would add that it's hard to be responsible when you see that your country could careless about many of the same issues.

I guess its better to put just part of the article that is taken out of context, than actually place clarifying information in the title.

This is ATS, and I'm sure everyone writing on this thread read the article and have come to the same conclusion I have. Sure the title spins it, but isn't the content of the article more important than the title? Because my title of this thread is exactly what is happening there is it not? Lets stop splitting peas shall we.

Just like people who bought into the propaganda and said "we should go 'save' those poor Libyan people", they want people to say "well the town was REALLY mismanaged so I guess its ok" Then state, and then country.

It must make the elite laugh when we welcome constitutional erosion

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Here in Florida the Governor can remove a sitting politician under criminal indictment and appoint a replacement until a special election is held to replace the official under indictment.

Amazingly the indicted official is free to run in this special election and one here in Miami recently did that, won her seat back in the special election despite the indictment, only to be replaced again by the Governor.

She is now suing the governor and seeking an injunction against his order by the courts and the matter is still pending.

Are these 'corrupt' politicians under indictment have criminal charges been pressed against them for taking kickbacks or bribes or steering city business to relatives or friends in an untoward and circumspect way.

If they aren't under at least indictment for criminal activity then I would say this is an egregious and telling abuse of excuctive power.

So try providing a little more context rather than just saying the story is out of context if you can.

edit on 17/4/11 by ProtoplasmicTraveler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
This makes me think of how wall street has an arm extension via secratary of treasury* seems to me everything went downhill, including the quality of life since that
god do i hope wallstreet crashes. many are math geniuses, hired to come up with complicated formulas to screw you and as many as possible outta everything.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the words "martial law" yet. In effect, that's what is happening here. The emergency manager was appointed by the Treasury.

Detroit will end up being the testbed for what's to come.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The term Emergency Manager is like the definition of the term Dictator.

Czars and Dictators, signs of the times

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

This is hardly a coup, as elected people are still there. Its hardly a coup when the populace becomes so frigging apathetic that they have let it go for the last 30 years. The issue that prompted this is in part of the trash contract that is currently undert litigation, among other issues involving city council.

Apathy is bad from what it allows, and an apathetic populace kind of deserves what they get.

However, if the populace is apathetic then the problem must not be hurting them. Who's problem is the emergency manager solving? Sounds similar to a "free offer you can't refuse"

Death to the Borg!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Todays Soap in Benton HarborWhat the storys don;t tell you is Harris is supposed to be helping the elected officials getg their house in order. They have refused to meet with him so he has the power to get things straightened out without their help. They have done everything they could to not cooperate and now they don;t need to. Kind of like when the dems left Wisconsin. I live there if you want to know the truth just ask.

Whirlpool wanted to build an 85 million dollar headquaeters in town their response was whats in it for us. Only 1100 jobs. They sait they didn't want them
edit on 17-4-2011 by mikellmikell because: Add link to todays Benton Harbor saga

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

They have refused to meet with him so he has the power to get things straightened out without their help. They have done everything they could to not cooperate and now they don;t need to.

I can't believe I am hearing this on ATS.

So you're saying since the elected officials won't work with someone who constitutionally has no right to tell them what to do, that person then gets all of their power?!

What about election? This man was appointed, what if no one in that town wants him in charge? Even if they do want him, that does not mean you can circumvent true law.

How would you feel if president Obama said "congress won't get its house in order so I'll be appointing someone to take of all legislative duties" ?

Is that right or fair?

If they are so apathetic them let the whole damn town fail, everyone leaves and it becomes a ghost town. Not the end of the world, why do people think intervention is always better than letting things fall where they may?

I won't even get started on the Wisconsin issue, what we saw there was a seizure of workers rights without due process.

Stop swallowing the garbage my friend, these are the baby steps of tyranny. I bet TPTB looked high and wide for a place like this were their blatant coup would look the most docile

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

That's not relevant. It's up to the citizens of Benton Harbor to deal with mismanagement by voting out those who are doing the mis-managing.

This is hardly a coup, as elected people are still there.

Of course it is. This literally steals power from duly elected officials and is basically the equivalent of financial Martial Law. This is illegal !

If we allow state government to steal power from local government, what do you think will happen next? How much of a jump would it be for federal government to steal power from state government?

Its hardly a coup when the populace becomes so frigging apathetic that they have let it go for the last 30 years

Irrelevant.

The issue that prompted this is in part of the trash contract that is currently undert litigation, among other issues involving city council.

Not relevant.

But yeah.. I guess its better to put just part of the article that is taken out of context, than actually place clarifying information in the title.

We're not taking anything out of context. State government is illegally seizing control over local government. That's the reality of it. And if we don't stop it and charge those involved, it will continue.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join