It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal Immigrant Protesters Won't Face Deportation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Federal immigration authorities have decided not to take action against seven demonstrators who disclosed they were in the country illegally before they were arrested on charges of blocking downtown Atlanta traffic during a protest last week.

Asked whether her agency planned to deport the protesters, a spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement released a statement saying ICE was not taking any “enforcement actions against the student demonstrators.”

The activists blocked traffic on downtown Atlanta's Courtland Street for about an hour last week as they demonstrated against a ban on illegal immigrants attending some Georgia colleges.

Earlier that day, the protesters had declared they were illegally in the country and decried restrictions illegal immigrant students face in the United States. Some spoke in favor of the DREAM Act, a congressional measure that would have given young illegal immigrants a path to legal status if they enrolled in college or joined the military. That measure failed in Congress last year.

. . .

Link

I do not think people are grasping the concept here.

Illegal means that one has broken the law. The law SUPPOSED to be blind justice. These people (illegals aliens from ANY country) are criminals once they cross the border without going through the proper way. Anyone who is here illegally should face the full force of the law. ANYONE.

But let's just keep sitting around with our thumbs up our collective butts.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I agree. If they don't have what it takes to be here, then they must leave. It's like being in a club or a job, if you do your part correctly, your in. So far, it just like some random person walking in to a random job and automatically work there with no credentials on them, they work for free. Here in the USA, to work, you need to pay up, or it's slowly turning that way.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Just go to Mexico illegally and see what happens.
Illegal immigration is being forced down the throats of the American people.
What makes it so bad is they refuse to accept our culture and they are reproducing faster than the native population and will take over by sheer numbers.
I like Latino culture, I just don't want it replacing what we already have.
Ok, you can flame me now for being honest.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Actually, I might have to agree with you on that. Illegal immigration has always been a problem but since this whole economic fiasco started the media is shining the spotlight on this issue again.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
How much more backwards can things get in this country??

SIGH.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I scanned the article. It mentions that they're students, but not what their ages are.

I don't think it's a policy of the government to deport children.

If they're adults, then the government is sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place; this is often the case. Imagine how it would look if they deported people for protesting for illegal immigrants rights or searched people for drugs if they went to a pro-marijuana rally.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I don't care what age they are, if they are minors, then they need to be deported right along with their parents. Even if they are in college, that is no excuse to keep them here. If they want to go to college here, then they need to become a citizen the right way. It irks me that they refused to deport student protesting their "illegal" rights. I don't appreciate, them coming over and trying to force their language on us or our children. If they want to be americans, then speak english. I hate that they are changing everything to accomodate the ones who don't speak english. Any other country you go to, if you don't know their language, do you see them accomodating you and trying to change up their language, just because you can't speak theirs? Noooooooooo! I have nothing against anyone who isn't an American. I just don't like other countries values and language forced down my people's throats in order to accomodate others.
edit on 17-4-2011 by searching4it because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Mayson

Imagine how it would look if they deported people for protesting for illegal immigrants rights or searched people for drugs if they went to a pro-marijuana rally.

Not quite the same situation.
The article says the illegal immigrants announced that they were in the country illegally right before the protest.

So a more accurate example would be if some people announced, prior to the pro-marijuana rally, that they would have bags for sale at the rally, then attended the rally with their product.

While attending the rally with their product, they then decide to draw attention to themselves and their cause by blocking traffic for an hour, while in possession of the green.

I suspect that in those circumstances, they would probably be busted, and not receive a whole lot of sympathy, for they weren't being too sly.

P.S. I'm just using your example, I'm all for decriminalization.

top topics

join