It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carcinogens injected into gas wells, report says

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
I'm looking forward to the EPA report being released to see what they recommend.

Who knows if the study will even come to fruition since the GOP has defunded EPA. (Who cares about safe drinking water anyway?) Regardless, they were only allowed to make "recommendations" as their authority was castrated by prior administration.

When Benjamin Grumbles was assistant administrator for water at the Environmental Protection Agency in the George W. Bush administration, he oversaw the release of a 2004 EPA report that determined that hydraulic fracturing was safe for drinking water. Then he watched as Congress used those findings to bolster the case for passing a law that prohibited the EPA from regulating fracking under the Safe Drinking Water Act.

(Yeah I bolded that)

www.propublica.org...

Two words: Cheney + Halliburton

Halliburton and others illegally pumped diesel into the ground during fracking

In a letter to Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Lisa Jackson, three House Democrats charge that Halliburton and 11 other energy companies illegally pumped over 32 million gallons of diesel fuel into the ground in 19 states between 2005 and 2009.

The Energy Policy Act of 2005 created a loophole that exempts companies drilling for natural gas from disclosing the chemicals involved in fracking operations that would normally be required under federal clean water laws. The loophole is commonly known as the "Halliburton loophole" since former Halliburton CEO Dick Cheney was reportedly instrumental in its passage.

news.yahoo.com...
So yes I agree proper regulation enforcement is the right way to go unless you have a vested interest to strip powers and authority of governing body due to vested financial interests.

edit on 17-4-2011 by kinda kurious because: forgot to add 2nd link

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

The fluid is injected far below any water table, so water contamination from the fracturing is generally not the problem unless a casing fails...

Or until one of those fractures caused by fracking manages to go up into that water table. Once that happens, they've already screwed the pooch no matter how careful they tried to be otherwise. There's a reason why it's considered a very bad practice when it comes to the environmental safety of wells and aquifers. (Even if people aren't drinking it, many aquifers irrigate much of the farmland.) It's not like they have some means to magically isolate where those cracks and cave-ins occur when pumping a high pressure fluid underground and allowing the rest to proceed at random.

I think everyone in the industry should be required to drink 3 glasses of water a day from wells nearby where they do the drilling. Maybe then they'll have a little more concern of what they use and how they go about their business. Yum Yum! Bottoms up!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by pauljs75

Originally posted by pteridine
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

The fluid is injected far below any water table, so water contamination from the fracturing is generally not the problem unless a casing fails...

Or until one of those fractures caused by fracking manages to go up into that water table. Once that happens, they've already screwed the pooch no matter how careful they tried to be otherwise. There's a reason why it's considered a very bad practice when it comes to the environmental safety of wells and aquifers. (Even if people aren't drinking it, many aquifers irrigate much of the farmland.) It's not like they have some means to magically isolate where those cracks and cave-ins occur when pumping a high pressure fluid underground and allowing the rest to proceed at random.

I think everyone in the industry should be required to drink 3 glasses of water a day from wells nearby where they do the drilling. Maybe then they'll have a little more concern of what they use and how they go about their business. Yum Yum! Bottoms up!

If the capstone is breached, what would most likely be seen is gas or brine and not fracking fluid. It is much more likely that failed casings are causing any problems, given the depth of the shale bed.

I find it interesting that the enviroactivists who, as recently as December 2010, were harping about evil coal and clean natural gas are now coming down hard on natural gas without giving them a chance to develop their recovery processes. I think the biggest about face was the Sierra Club president. If I can find the link, I'll post it.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

The link that calls out the about face of the envirofolk is

www.weeklystandard.com...

Many will find this educational.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join