It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mummy Wrappings of Zagreb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I came across this and thought it was interesting and i don't believe its ever been posted on ATS..I cant find alot of info about it but what i did find was fascinating..

The Liber linteus zagrabiensis, the linen book of Zagreb, better known as the Mummy Wrappings of Zagreb, dated to the first half of the second century BC, containing the longest Etruscan text (c. 1330 words). It was made in Etruria and later on reused in Egypt. There the book was cut into eight strips, five of which were partly preserved. The book contains twelve columns or ''pages''. Approximately sixty percent of the original text has been preserved.

Close Up Of Mummy's Face

In 1848 or 1849, a nobleman from Slovenia, Mihail de Baric, bought a mummy in Egypt, which found its way into the National Museum of Zagreb in 1862. Where the mummy had been found and sold is unknown. The mummy consisted of the remains of a child. It was wrapped in a piece of linen cloth, which had been torn into wrapping binds. The linen cloth had been written on with texts in ink, apparently before it was torn into pieces and used as mummy wrapping.

At first it was thought that the texts were a literal transcription from a text in Egyptian. Only in 1891, the Austrian egyptologist J.Krall discovered, that the Liber Linteus(a linen book) consisted of an Etruscan text, the longest Etruscan text known to us today (approx. 1200 words).

Etruscan ritual text on linen mummy binds in Zagreb here is a picture of the linen

Peace and thanks for stopping by ~sugarcookie1

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Thank you everyone thats looked at the thread and the bumps very nice of you

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
what kind of texts were these? did somebody translate it perhaps? perhaps written protections for the afterlife i suppose?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile
what kind of texts were these? did somebody translate it perhaps? perhaps written protections for the afterlife i suppose?

The Liber Linteus Zagrabiensis (also rarely known as Liber Agramensis) (Latin for Linen Book of Zagreb or Book of Agram) is the longest Etruscan text and the only extant linen book. It remains mostly untranslated because of the lack of knowledge about the Etruscan language, though the few words which can be understood indicate that the text is most likely a ritual calendar.

The fabric of the book was preserved when it was used for mummy wrappings in Ptolemaic Egypt. The mummy and the manuscript are now kept in a refrigerated room at the Archaeological Museum in Zagreb, Croatia.
The manuscript must have been created prior to the wholesale decline of the Etruscan language in favor of Latin; as such a work could have only been produced by a priest or highly educated person possessing special religious knowledge and literacy in Etruscan.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
This is very interesting. You peaked my curiosity! I am going to do further research on it.
Thank You for threading it and calling it to my attention

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by 43LEO729
This is very interesting. You peaked my curiosity! I am going to do further research on it.
Thank You for threading it and calling it to my attention

your welcome Leo im glad you liked the thread there isnt much out there about this find but i thought it was interisting...

new topics

top topics

join