It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost Civilizations and Ancient Mysteries

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Everyone knows of some ancient civilizations, either from World History classes in school, from books or films,But there are so many interesting,less well-known civilizations! Here's an admittedly biased selection of some of them and why they are not to be forgotten.Buckle up and lets start our trip..

(Indus Valley)

The Indus civilization (also known as the Harappan Civilization, the Indus-Sarasvati or Hakra Civilization and sometimes the Indus Valley Civilization) is one of the oldest societies we know of,Art of the Harappan includes bronze figures of men, women, animals, birds and toys . Terracotta figurines are rarer, but are known from some sites, as is shell, bone, semiprecious and clay jewelry..

Seals carved from steatite squares contain the earliest forms of writing. Almost 6000 inscriptions have been found to date, although they have yet to be deciphered. Scholars are divided about whether the language is likely a form of Proto-Dravidian, Proto-Brahmi or Sanskrit.

Ancient Indus River Valley Civilization Video

Mohen Jo Daro was one of the large cities of Indus valley civilization situated in the province of Sindh of Pakistan. It was built around 2600 BC. This archeological site was redesignated a UNESCO world heritage site.

(Persian Empire)

The Persian Empire included all of what is now Iran, and in fact Persia was the official name of Iran until 1935. At its height about 500 BC, the founding dynasty of the empire, the Achaemenids, had conquered Asia as far as the Indus River, Greece, and North Africa including what is now Egypt and Libya..

In 330 BC, Macedonian Greeks led by Alexander the Great overthrew the Achaemenids and established what was called the Seleucid Empire after Alexander's general. The Seleucids were in turn followed by the Parthian and Sassanid dynasties. The Sassinids were defeated by Arab caliphs in the mid-7th century AD, and by 651, the Persian empire was ended.

A continued look at histories Engineering of An Empire Persian Civilization

Lets take a look at Persian history Cyrus the Great

( Minoan Culture)

The Minoan culture is the earliest of two Bronze Age cultures known on islands in the Aegean Sea which are considered precursors to classical Greece. Named after the legendary King Minos, the Minoan culture was destroyed by earthquakes and volcanoes, and is considered a candidate for the inspiration of Plato's Atlantis myth.

Between about 1600 and 1627 BC, the volcano on Santorini erupted, destroying the island and the Minoan occupation there. Giant tsunamis destroyed the coastal cities such as Palaikastro, which was completely inundated. Knossos itself was destroyed by another earthquake in 1375 BC.

Three and a half thousand years ago the first European civilisation collapsed. But why did the Minoan Empire end? The facts and theories surrounding some of the world's ancient mysteries.

Ancient Mysteries - Atlantis There is a theory that the origins of civilisation lie at the bottom of the ocean in the lost kingdom of Atlantis.

The Ancient Island of Crete - Knossos

Id like to do more on the Minoan Culture but its time to move along to another fascinating place..

(Etruscan Civilization)

The Etruscans were a cultural group in the Etruria region of Italy, from the 11th through the first century BC (Iron Age into Roman times). Few Etruscan sites have been excavated, in part because the cities were reused by the Romans. One exception is Poggio Colla.

Etruscans began an intensive period of building sanctuaries such as Monte Soracte, and by the Classic Phase city states were established in twelve loosely organized cities including Pyrgi, Orvieto, Veii, Talamone, and Tarquinia.

Etruscans. not much is known about them except for what has been found in the form of art, in burial sites and the occasional literary mentions by Greeks and Romans,Below is a video about these wonderful people..

Here shows some of there art from that peroid simply beautiful

Also Volterra - Etruscan Museum Guarnacci this shows some of there priceless artifacts

(Caral-Supe Civilization)

The Moche civilization was a South American culture, with villages located along the coast of what is now Peru between 100 and 800 AD. Known particularly for its amazing ceramic portraiture, the Moche were also excellent gold and silversmiths.

This included monumental architecture such as temples (called huacas), pyramids, and palaces,The Moche were expert weavers, and gold, silver, and copper metallurgists using lost wax casting and hammered sheet metal.

the Moche did not leave a written record (they may have used the quipu recording technique that we have yet to decipher), much is known about the Moche because of their ceramic, sculptural and mural art..

Lets take a short tour of Supe Caral the Oldest Civilization in the Americas

Lets take a look at the lost Pyramids of Caral

Lets move on to a spirtual trip to Peru & Machu Picchu plus view there wildlife..

Lets move along to our next adventure...

(Olmec Civilization)

The Olmec civilization is the name given to a sophisticated central American culture dated between 1200 and 400 BC. Its baby-faced statues have led to some fairly baseless speculation about prehistoric international sailing connections between what is now Africa and central America.

the Olmecs eventually established a highly complex level of political government, including public building projects such as pyramids and large platform mounds; agriculture; a writing system; and a characteristic sculptural artistry including enormous stone heads with heavy features reminiscent of angry babies.

This is a video on the aztecs, olmecs, toltecs, and the mayans.

Here is a view of some OLMEC ART

And of couse we cant forget the Mayan Calendar

( Moche Civilization)

The Moche civilization was a South American culture, with villages located along the coast of what is now Peru between 100 and 800 AD. Known particularly for its amazing ceramic portraiture, the Moche were also excellent gold and silversmiths.

Moche included monumental architecture such as temples (called huacas), pyramids, and palaces..the range of ceramic sculptures and wall murals also included head portraits of specific individuals, lifelike fish and mammals, fishing and hunting scenes.The only information that exists about the history and culture of the Moche culture is what has been gleaned by their extensive artistry.

The Moche people of Peru believed that human sacrifice was mandatory if they were to be blessed with many of the necessities of life.And likely carried out by participants in costumes and possibly included the ingestion of blood.

Moche civilization's (northen Peru) potteries were really unique lets take a peek..

Pyramid of Doom

Im going to end our mini trip with this last ancient civilization

( Hittite Empire)

The Hittite empire ruled much of Anatolia--roughly what today is Turkey--between about 1340-1200 BC. The Hittites who are mentioned in the Hebrew (Old Testament) bible are only the Iron Age cultures, who bloomed after the fall of the great Hittite Empire.

The chronology of the Hittite civilization is obscured, because it must rely on another culture's historical documents, such as Egyptian, Assyrian, Mesopotamian, all of which vary. The above is the so-called "Low Chronology", which dates the sack of Babylon at 1531 BC.

Some history on the Hittite Empire

Uncovering the truth behind a possible fourth vast empire completely lost to history and the Hitites race who lived there. The facts and theories surrounding some of the world's ancient mysteries.

History Of Empires - Hittite, Persian, Roman,Seljuk,Mongol,Ottoman Empire

Ramesses II and the Hittite's

Sources

This ends our trip through ancient civilizations and thank you for flying air~~sugarcookie1

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
wow you put all my favourite "lost" civilization!!

one thing however, there's never/barely any mention of south east (under china)/pacific civilizations. they dont get as much spotlight as they should

oh and in the last video, it wasnt called salahuddin's empire, it was the mamelukes
edit on 16-4-2011 by ZarbeMomin because: forgot tidbit

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
You worked hard here. Very informative and entertaining on a Sunday arfternoon. I always enjoys this viewing. Thanks ! s&f

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

G,day and Thanks for inviting us all on sugarcookie tours.
There are some interesting and wonderful places you have choosen for us to visit.
Some of them are my favourites, and places i would love to visit someday, Peru and especially the ruins of Machu Picchu.
I stopped off at a few of the destinations on your tour, but i dont have the time to see them all right now, but i will be back to finish the tour soon.
Thank for your time and effort on thread

f&s
Peace
meathed
edit on 16-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
maybe this is a bit redundant, but this is one of my favorite subjects. I find it important to mention that in recent and not-so-recent years, many ancient civilisations were studied and found to be much older and far more sophisticated that previously thought. Many of their building we cannot reproduce and some writings sugest a more advanced civilisation than us. It almost points to an ancient worldwide civilisation

here''s a link to a site you might find interesting. I have to warn you that this guy is christian and strongly believes that the bible is not so much a myth, but an amalgame of historical writings.... and actually lots of evidence to support it. He posts articles from all over, especially archeological finds that I hadn't heard of anywhere else (for example a tiled floor a few feet under american soil. There is debate on wether it is a floor or just a natural formation ( the usual argument for mainstream scientists when finds don't match their belief system they worked so hard to build
) www.s8int.com...

There are litterally hundreds of articles and many pictures to back up the evidence. If you put aside the webmaster's religious beliefs and read the articles with an open mind, there's a lot of interesting stuff. Regardless, the menu on the left hand side of the screen has a subject: those sophisticated cavemen

Enjoy

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Truly a historic thread, thanks for the work.

What is still unclear today is the extent to which the Inca Empire extended eastwards, and how far it penetrated into the depths of the jungle. The legend of Paititi maintains that either following or just prior to the Spanish destruction of Vilcabamba, the Incan nobility retreated once more deep into the jungle to a city named Paititi. Indeed, this story is perhaps corroborated somewhat by the lack of any Inca treasure at the site of Vilcabamba, which produces two alternatives: either the Inca had not managed to save any gold from the Spanish in the first place or had taken it elsewhere. There exists also a similar legend by the Q’ero people, a Quechua community found in the high elevation of Paucartambo in Peru, who claim that they are the direct descendants of the Inca. This legend focuses on the mythical king Inkarri, who supposedly founded the cities of Q’ero and Cuzco before retiring into the jungle area to establish the city of Paititi, where he was said to live out the rest of his days. Arguably such a legend may perhaps better explain the origins of the whole Paititi and El Dorado legend, with the old Q’ero legend of Paititi perhaps becoming the foundations upon which today’s legend of the lost city of gold could develop. It had seemed, therefore, that the legend was nothing but hear-say, with no positive historical proof towards its actual disposition. That was, until very recently.

source

Satellite images of the upper Amazon Basin taken since 1999 have revealed more than 200 geometric earthworks spanning a distance greater than 155 miles Now researchers estimate that nearly ten times as many such structures—of unknown purpose—may exist undetected under the Amazon's forest cover. At least one of the sites has been dated to around A.D. 1283, although others may date as far back as A.D. 200 to 300, said study co-author Denise Schaan, an anthropologist at the Federal University of Pará in Belém, Brazil. The discovery adds to evidence that the hinterlands of the Amazon once teemed with complex societies, which were largely wiped out by diseases brought to South America by European colonists in the 15th and 16th centuries, Schaan said.

source

Is El Dorado waiting there right where it was said but no one could believe a city could exist?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZarbeMomin
wow you put all my favourite "lost" civilization!!

one thing however, there's never/barely any mention of south east (under china)/pacific civilizations. they dont get as much spotlight as they should

oh and in the last video, it wasnt called salahuddin's empire, it was the mamelukes
edit on 16-4-2011 by ZarbeMomin because: forgot tidbit

I'm glad i got your favorites on there and i will be doing another thread soon and it just might have (under china)/pacific civilizations in it
and i belive your right it was mamelukes

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Holy crap sugarcookie1, how many sugar cookies have you eaten tonight? I bet it's more than one!

Nice posts on multiple ancient civilizations tonight. I'm going to have break open my sugar cookie stash so I can stay up and read about all of them!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by bjsmi2
You worked hard here. Very informative and entertaining on a Sunday arfternoon. I always enjoys this viewing. Thanks ! s&f

I'm so glad you enjoyed the thread and yes alot of time was put into it..and thank you!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by meathed

G,day and Thanks for inviting us all on sugarcookie tours.
There are some interesting and wonderful places you have choosen for us to visit.
Some of them are my favourites, and places i would love to visit someday, Peru and especially the ruins of Machu Picchu.
I stopped off at a few of the destinations on your tour, but i dont have the time to see them all right now, but i will be back to finish the tour soon.
Thank for your time and effort on thread

f&s
Peace

Thank you for taking my tour i hope you buckled up its a long one for sure..Machu Picchu would be a fasinating place to go id love to make a trip there myself..
meathed
edit on 16-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by peanuty48
maybe this is a bit redundant, but this is one of my favorite subjects. I find it important to mention that in recent and not-so-recent years, many ancient civilisations were studied and found to be much older and far more sophisticated that previously thought. Many of their building we cannot reproduce and some writings sugest a more advanced civilisation than us. It almost points to an ancient worldwide civilisation

here''s a link to a site you might find interesting. I have to warn you that this guy is christian and strongly believes that the bible is not so much a myth, but an amalgame of historical writings.... and actually lots of evidence to support it. He posts articles from all over, especially archeological finds that I hadn't heard of anywhere else (for example a tiled floor a few feet under american soil. There is debate on wether it is a floor or just a natural formation ( the usual argument for mainstream scientists when finds don't match their belief system they worked so hard to build
) www.s8int.com...

There are litterally hundreds of articles and many pictures to back up the evidence. If you put aside the webmaster's religious beliefs and read the articles with an open mind, there's a lot of interesting stuff. Regardless, the menu on the left hand side of the screen has a subject: those sophisticated cavemen

Enjoy

Thank you for viewing my thread and the link you gave me is fascinating when i get the time its going to be a good read..I don't mind what the christian's have to say i agree with some of there thoughts also..

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by iforget

Truly a historic thread, thanks for the work.

What is still unclear today is the extent to which the Inca Empire extended eastwards, and how far it penetrated into the depths of the jungle. The legend of Paititi maintains that either following or just prior to the Spanish destruction of Vilcabamba, the Incan nobility retreated once more deep into the jungle to a city named Paititi. Indeed, this story is perhaps corroborated somewhat by the lack of any Inca treasure at the site of Vilcabamba, which produces two alternatives: either the Inca had not managed to save any gold from the Spanish in the first place or had taken it elsewhere. There exists also a similar legend by the Q’ero people, a Quechua community found in the high elevation of Paucartambo in Peru, who claim that they are the direct descendants of the Inca. This legend focuses on the mythical king Inkarri, who supposedly founded the cities of Q’ero and Cuzco before retiring into the jungle area to establish the city of Paititi, where he was said to live out the rest of his days. Arguably such a legend may perhaps better explain the origins of the whole Paititi and El Dorado legend, with the old Q’ero legend of Paititi perhaps becoming the foundations upon which today’s legend of the lost city of gold could develop. It had seemed, therefore, that the legend was nothing but hear-say, with no positive historical proof towards its actual disposition. That was, until very recently.

source

Satellite images of the upper Amazon Basin taken since 1999 have revealed more than 200 geometric earthworks spanning a distance greater than 155 miles Now researchers estimate that nearly ten times as many such structures—of unknown purpose—may exist undetected under the Amazon's forest cover. At least one of the sites has been dated to around A.D. 1283, although others may date as far back as A.D. 200 to 300, said study co-author Denise Schaan, an anthropologist at the Federal University of Pará in Belém, Brazil. The discovery adds to evidence that the hinterlands of the Amazon once teemed with complex societies, which were largely wiped out by diseases brought to South America by European colonists in the 15th and 16th centuries, Schaan said.

source

Is El Dorado waiting there right where it was said but no one could believe a city could exist?

Thank you for viewing my thread and the link ..I belive many things exist and were finding new stuff everyday

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Excellent compilation.

S & F

Now, I'm off to watch some of the ones I haven't already seen

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy

Holy crap sugarcookie1, how many sugar cookies have you eaten tonight? I bet it's more than one!

Nice posts on multiple ancient civilizations tonight. I'm going to have break open my sugar cookie stash so I can stay up and read about all of them!

lol i think i ate 2 dozen cookies doing all the threads this one took a week so im stuffed! Have fun reading!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Excellent compilation.

S & F

Now, I'm off to watch some of the ones I haven't already seen

Thanks Slayer that means alot comeing from you..plus im learning alot from how you do your threads your a good newbie teacher!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Great thread!

I haven't managed to read all of it so far but I'm certainly going to and I'm looking forward to watching all the videos as well. Great job so far.

edit on 17-4-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Fantastic work Sugarcookie! I've recently been getting back into the history of ancient civilizations. I find it fascinating to study them. What I think is so interesting is the commonality of some of their beliefs and practices of their times. You gave me some good resources with your thread to dive into. Thanks for posting all of this, it's wonderful! Cheers!

And... now I'm craving a sugar cookie! See what you've done! Haha!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Thank you for a very interesting and informative thread... Would love to hear some new news on Gobekli Tepe.

www.smithsonianmag.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
And I'm willing to bet there will be a few more to discover...or lost forever.

I just really really want to experience the Indiana Jones adventure

Great thread, giving an amazing summary to one of my favourite forums. Good job

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Godd thread...

Just one Question ... did you watch the videos you' ve just posted ?

Watch the Pyramid of Doom again ... and open your eyes... from minute 6 till the end...

At minute 9.02 pause and Look at it ....

At minute 9.36 pause and look at skeletons inside...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join