It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YES! Ireland Says Not In This Country: Bans Genetically Modified Crops

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Great news!

Gives me hope

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
One other thing.... Monsanto are called Eli Lilly here and have their hands in every pie just like their US counterparts.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

Do you not read? How can we take full responsibility for our food? Not everyone has the ability to grow their own plus eventually it will all be contaminated with GMO pollen how do you not understand this? All GMO crops ought to be banned. Sometime or another we need to use our government for what it was intended for like freedom of choice. Chief.

So the crops should be banned...and that protects freedom of choice? What kind of backwards logic is that? Just like freedom of speech, if you don't believe in it for certain people, you don't believe in it it all. We obviously agree that they are bad and need to be done away with...but by an iron fist of government?

The difference between you and me is that you would leave people NO CHOICE, while I would respect peoples right to eat whatever they want, be it soda with high fructose death syrup or a box of death flakes for breakfast. Your doing what the drug war proponents do and argue that we must protect people from themselves cause they are too damn stupid to realize they are killing themselves. I argue...let them, otherwise the government is claiming ownership of those people. The fact is, I can get clean organic food locally. You are arguing upon the assumption that GMO's will become ubiquitous at the local level.Friend.

edit on 18-4-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: added more

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow

Do you not read? How can we take full responsibility for our food? Not everyone has the ability to grow their own plus eventually it will all be contaminated with GMO pollen how do you not understand this? All GMO crops ought to be banned. Sometime or another we need to use our government for what it was intended for like freedom of choice. Chief.

So the crops should be banned...and that protects freedom of choice? What kind of backwards logic is that? Just like freedom of speech, if you don't believe in it for certain people, you don't believe in it it all. We obviously agree that they are bad and need to be done away with...but by an iron fist of government?

The difference between you and me is that you would leave people NO CHOICE, while I would respect peoples right to eat whatever they want, be it soda with high fructose death syrup or a box of death flakes for breakfast. Your doing what the drug war proponents do and argue that we must protect people from themselves cause they are too damn stupid to realize they are killing themselves. I argue...let them, otherwise the government is claiming ownership of those people. The fact is, I can get clean organic food locally. You are arguing upon the assumption that GMO's will become ubiquitous at the local level.Friend.

I completely agree, why should we be celebrating removal of choice and governments doing our thinking for us?

What we are seeing is a very special blend of stupid prohibitionist nonsense and scaremongering, it seems to have worked pretty well on you lot !

Besides, as someone pointed out, this article is 2 yrs old and Ireland have done nothing of the sort, yet.

The UK banned it ages ago, Ireland is just taking its time to catch up to the rest of europe, either that or they have decided they dont want to become a dictatorship and people can eat crap thats bad for them if they like.

There is way too much nanny state bullcrap flying around today. I'm against the banning of things, if they want to protect us so badly they should start banning the REALLY harmful stuff like lawyers and religion and guns.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

I agree the Irish have the 'right stuff', but us English are all fine and dandy, until the day comes that sees the straw that breaks the camels (or donkey's?) back, then the world will remember what English people are like deep down..and it's got nothing to do with bowler hats and umbrellas.

Something I have been saying for a long long time - trouble is I am beginning to think it will never happen. I am still waiting...............

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

There is way too much nanny state bullcrap flying around today. I'm against the banning of things, if they want to protect us so badly they should start banning the REALLY harmful stuff like lawyers and religion and guns.

And people who have no comprehension of the dangers of GM crops - don't forget that 'roundup ready' is GM. A crop that can be sprayed with glycophosphate and will absorb it without damage to the plant, but what damage will it do to the insects animals and people that subsequently eat that crop? What guarantee do you have that the farmer did not spray that crop inside the time before harvesting that should be left?

Then you have the problem of the lawyers. Their GM crops spill into and contaminate your fields and you get sued? What the hell is all that about, other than control. Freedom of choice it certainly is not. You can take your freedom of choice to have GM crops and stick it where the Monsanto sun don't shine because you cannot guarantee that people will have the freedom of choice to NOT eat GM crops when everywhere has been contaminated.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

You do know that ALL farming practices use some form of pesticides?

Organic farmers, because they are against the new pesticides, they are forced to use TONS of out of date not as effective crap, look it up.

GMO'S are here to stay, BECAUSE 2-3 BILLION PEOPLE WILL DIE INSTANTLY WITH THE REMOVAL OF GMO CROPS.

Thats a FACT.

So let me ask you, Which 1/3rd of the population do you feel comfortable with DYING so you can feel better about what you put into your mouths.?

None of you even know what your talking about on this thread.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow

You still are not understanding that GMO crops will overtake and destroy natural and organic crops. This is not fear mongering on any level (referring to another post below yours). These GMO foods are engineered to be deadly to insects and resitant to herbicides...how do you think that is accomplished? GMO foods are patented doesn't that ring any alarm bells for you? Guess what happens to the poor farmer who's crop is next to a GMO crop? They have to sign a waiver that they will not plant seeds that have been cross pollinated between the two, and if they do they are sued into bankruptcy which then Monsanto takes their land and plants a GMO crop. Eventually there will be no non-GMO foods so yes thats a choice lost.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

The fact is, I can get clean organic food locally. You are arguing upon the assumption that GMO's will become ubiquitous at the local level.

They will be.

It is only a matter of time. You will not be able to buy 'organic' food then.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Quasar_La-Zar

You do know that ALL farming practices use some form of pesticides?

Yes natural ones.

Organic farmers, because they are against the new pesticides, they are forced to use TONS of out of date not as effective crap, look it up.

You spouted it, you quote it.

GMO'S are here to stay, BECAUSE 2-3 BILLION PEOPLE WILL DIE INSTANTLY WITH THE REMOVAL OF GMO CROPS.

Thats a FACT.

Sorry but that is just complete BS.

If you believe that, post links to prove it.

None of you even know what your talking about on this thread.

And you do?

edit on 18/4/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

The fact is, I can get clean organic food locally. You are arguing upon the assumption that GMO's will become ubiquitous at the local level.

They will be.

It is only a matter of time. You will not be able to buy 'organic' food then.

Every news story I see regarding local farmers has to do with their law suits against Monsanto, stance against GMO's, and organization at the local level opposing them. There are too many people aware of Monsanto for it to sneak into every farmers bed and every backyard. Why act like no one knows? The fools that drive day in and day out through Micky D's may not know about the issue, but EVERY farmer does.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Go Ireland!

I've also connected the dots...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

The farmers know the issues I agree, but Mother Nature blows where she will and insects carry pollen where they will. They do not respect field boundaries. It will spread. It may be slow, but spread it will.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
For those of you who may not have read the entire thread or missed the by-line in the OPs article....

October 2009..... the good news is not so good anymore.....

Suggestion to the OP: Contact a moderator for this forum and have them edit the title to show its from 2009.... there will be a lot less confusion that way. We don;t want to be spreading information that may prove to be outdated.

Thanks to all you vigilant members for pointing it out!

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

[

Ireland joins Japan and Egypt as one of the few but growing number of countries that have banned the cultivation of GM crops.

Well. Now we know why Japan had an earthquake and Egypt a manipulated-from-the-outside revolution. Hope Ireland fares better. ...and don't forget what happened to Iceland when they broke ranks and told the banksters to clean up their own mess.

NO MO' GMO!

S&F&

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join