It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YES! Ireland Says Not In This Country: Bans Genetically Modified Crops

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by quitesane

yep and time to import from ireland too , Ireland you're in the top list of my heroes, keep up the good work

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Unfortunately I don't see this mattering in the long run. There are 4 possibilities.

a) The seed is known to travel without human intervention (wind/animals) and will eventually replace natural crops anyway.

b) Monsanto is known to defy the law and plant GMO seed in countries where it is banned.

c) Monsanto will buy off politicians and the decision will be reversed. They have time.

d) Ireland eventually starves.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
No wonder the IMF is trying to squish them with debt repayments.

Hope the Irish tell the rest of the EU and the IMF to shove it you know where.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

To bad Ireland didn't say that NOT IN THIS COUNTRY to the NAZIS they allowed to hide out in there country..

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Wow this is great news. I'm about to pack my bags for Ireland haha. I recently learned in my environmental science class about the Monsanto trials and was shocked at how unfair the law can be on the topic of genetically modified crops. It most certainly shows the abuse of power in the world today. Hopefully other countries will follow behind Ireland and ban GM crops as well.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Great News!

But I mean, Meh, I'll eat anything...Even GM roadkill!

What I don't get though, is if so many people are against GM produce; Then why has it affected agricultural products grown and produced naturally, and ergo damaged farmers "income" (I couldn't think of another way to express that). Anyhow, back to my point, if it (GM products) was able to overtake natural produce as a way of import and export profit, then it must be safe, no? Sorry, I have a foggy head today, making me terrible at explaining what I mean.

Also if it's an unhealthier option to naturally grown produce then why purchase GM foods?
edit on 17-4-2011 by Chipkin9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Castaway65

To bad Ireland didn't say that NOT IN THIS COUNTRY to the NAZIS they allowed to hide out in there country..

We were officially neutral. That means we didn't favour any one side. But everyone knew we leaned to the allied side. 'Spose to avoid pi%&*ng off herr Hilter we had to play nice with them once in a while.

Now /derail.

The best thing we can all do is to start growing our own! Even starting a co-op of sorts between a few families.

Next best thing? Cut out ALL processed foods. There's no point complaining about these vile corporations when we continue to buy their stuff; that's what gives them their power after all!!
Also cutting out wheat, grains & cereals would be a good idea too. They're not essential to our diet in anyway, & are in fact the cause of a lot of modern diseases (i,e heart diseases, diabetes, obesity) plus they're a pain in the a#@ to grow!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Not so fast everyone. A more recent news article is stating that irelands department of agriculture has shifted their stance a bit. Read here: EU undermines Ireland as a GMO-Free Zone

Sad really...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I'm glad my heritage is partially from Ireland a great place where many great minds have sprung up from.
Now they have the smarts to get rid of Evil Monsanto and Their GM crops hats off to them.

I Cheer them on in the War to end all GM crops because they only seek profit. Where as crops that are from your local area only seek to feed the humans in their local Area. The GM crops are modified to grow as much as possible more bang for your buck so to speak. We have to end the madness of GM crops it is another corporate profiteering swindle.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Well, in case you didn't know, there is no crops that are not genetically modified. People have "modded" them since ancient times. We don't have "original" crops left anymore, since modified are always better, if you do it right. Without modification, we couldn't grow crops in cold countries, or hot regions. They also grow faster.

So does anyone know, when crops are GM or not? We do need GM food if Earth's population keeps rising, GM food also has less impact on nature, cause we don't have to use pesticides. GM food can also be more healthy.

But I agree that corporations shouldn't have monopoly in this field.
edit on 17-4-2011 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by Anttyk47
Ireland will ban growing of GM crops...

WAIT A SECOND !!!!

Once again I despair at seeing ATS members' Pavlovian like responses to the headline.

Did any of you even bother to read the article in the link?

This news article is from TWO YEARS AGO and just links to a (wishful thinking) press release from an anti-gmo lobby group.
Since then, Ireland has NOT banned GMO foods, and nothing I can see from checking the web indicates that they have any immediate intention of doing so.

I was so excited reading the OP and then this

It seems you're right and we need to more than just talk about this issue.
redgreenandblue.org... antos-gmo-crops-illegal/

The EU is making it impossible for individual member countries to ban GMO foods. How can we stop this?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by dwmjr1985
Not so fast everyone. A more recent news article is stating that irelands department of agriculture has shifted their stance a bit. Read here: EU undermines Ireland as a GMO-Free Zone

Sad really...

Thanks once i realized that this was from 2 years ago

I started looking for this.. You are right this is sad... =\
I didn't realize this was from so long ago :[

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Ummmm...so...why don't people just stop buying products with GMO's? Are people too stupid to understand the dangers and links to infertility? Flip the box to the side, if it says modified in the ingredients, don't buy it...pretty simple, yet I am more and more of the opinion. IF you are dumb enough to keep eating it, then your children's children shouldn't get to have kids...and that is what will happen.
edit on 17-4-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

You probably should read up on how invasive GMO foods have become.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

You do realize that GMO's are not labeled in america. Which means even when you buy something labeled Organic, it could very well be Genetically modified. Until they start labeling the products correctly then you never really know if what you are buying comes from a genetically modified plant.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thebel
Well, in case you didn't know, there is no crops that are not genetically modified. People have "modded" them since ancient times.

They did not alter molecular genetics or use Protein engineering and gene cloning in ancient times. That is what Genetically Modifying is. What they did in ancient times is cross breed plants in the same family such as two different types of corn to get the best taste and best growth. That is FAR different than Genetically Modifying.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

You probably should read up on how invasive GMO foods have become.

Dude, trust me, I know, I eat only organic and local now...people just need to smarten up.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by dwmjr1985

You do realize that GMO's are not labeled in america. Which means even when you buy something labeled Organic, it could very well be Genetically modified. Until they start labeling the products correctly then you never really know if what you are buying comes from a genetically modified plant.

Many foods still are, but the main offenders offering faux organic foods can be nailed down to a few companies (whose parent conglomerates a coke e.c.t) like kashi foods and so on. Buying local organic produce is the best way to avoid it.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

...and when Monsanto sues all the organic farmers out of business, what then? Or when the GMO crops contaminate non GMO crops what then? It isn't about knowing what to eat and what not to eat, it's about losing the choice about what we eat. Dude.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
i love lindsay lohan. i love guinness. i love the irish.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join