It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"We Shall Overcome" Music is a Powerful way to Protest

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

We're disconnected from love, we're disrespecting each other
Whatever happened to protecting each other
Poisoned your body and your soul for a minute of pleasure,
But the damage that you've done is gonna last forever.
Babies being born in the world already drug addicted and afflicted,
Family values are contradicted.
Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, the pressure is building and I've had enough.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

We thank you very much for embedding the Earth Song video,Kram09. It is a very touching song with scenes that will touch people's hearts.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
this one was submitted on Alex Jones V for victory or 1984 is 1776 campaign. not sure just remember someone did a pretty good job at this parady of American Pie.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Good Morning.....just got through listening to all the new songs and Martin Luther King speech......kinda bitter/sweet.......so sad and powerful......yet absolutely lifts my spirit, makes me so proud to be human (maybe some sort of hybrid, lol, but that's a different thread)

Was looking at the calendar, June 4th is a sat. popped out at me, is also my Dad's Birthday, a great singer and musician and a man who faithfully watches congressional sessions while he stroms his guitar and softly sings. He has tried to warn people for years, took it in stride for the most part when most people dismissed his observations ( to my shame, I did as well ) He probably embodies " Forgive them cause they know not what they do" more than any person I ever met. The 4th is also Princes b-day, another pioneer of sorts......he certainly gave up alot to maintain his personal integrity....has made some deeply moving music since then, some of his best ever, IMO, but he was effectively "black-balled" and some great songs and messages fell silently into the night.......

OK, wiped away the tears, if this is ever gonna get off the ground, need to pick a date, do a mass mailing and appeal to celebs, activists, musicians, police, military, young and old, Everyone......to be involved..... this really is possible......

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

I was thinking earlier that if something like this was to work we first need to decide on a particular song and then I think we should try and get that song into the charts. We can do this by downloading the song. I see you're from the United States, but I'm sure it's the same over there as it is here in the UK. If we can get enough people to download a certain song, it will make a showing in the charts.

This is not as impossible as it may seem as two years ago in the UK people downloaded Rage Against the Machine's Killing in the Name as an affront to Simon Cowell and the X-Factor which always scoops the number one spot in the charts at Christmas. Killing in the Name ended up being Christmas number one. The campaign started as a group on Facebook.

If we could decide on a certain song then get all the UK and USA ATS members to download the song. I'm not sure how it works in Canada or any other countries in regards to digital downloads.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09

I was thinking earlier that if something like this was to work we first need to decide on a particular song and then I think we should try and get that song into the charts. We can do this by downloading the song. I see you're from the United States, but I'm sure it's the same over there as it is here in the UK. If we can get enough people to download a certain song, it will make a showing in the charts.

This is not as impossible as it may seem as two years ago in the UK people downloaded Rage Against the Machine's Killing in the Name as an affront to Simon Cowell and the X-Factor which always scoops the number one spot in the charts at Christmas. Killing in the Name ended up being Christmas number one. The campaign started as a group on Facebook.

If we could decide on a certain song then get all the UK and USA ATS members to download the song. I'm not sure how it works in Canada or any other countries in regards to digital downloads.

Funny you mentioned that song. It was actually the one going through my head as I was reading this thread.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

www.youtube.com...

Edwin Starr from an old motown hit
edit on 17-4-2011 by inforeal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

was thinking earlier that if something like this was to work we first need to decide on a particular song and then I think we should try and get that song into the charts. We can do this by downloading the song. I see you're from the United States, but I'm sure it's the same over there as it is here in the UK. If we can get enough people to download a certain song, it will make a showing in the charts.

Love this idea, and since we know how powerful a mass collective can be about certain "special" songs this makes sense, lol, I'm curious, is the shouting out of "Freebird" at public gatherings and concerts an "American" thing? Anyways how do we go about picking just the right song? Absolutely, showing numbers in the charts sends a big message, but is it possible to show big numbers in the charts of Many different songs, that have the overall theme in particular demographics? Can several songs, that move the groups involved, translate into the "one", does it dilute the message this way?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I think it would be best to settle on one song rather than multiple songs as that way there is no confusion and as you said the message is apt to be diluted with more than one song.

For the song choice, I would choose either John Lennon's Imagine or Sam Cooke's A Change is Gonna Come.

They are simple yet effective. Imagine is a sort of sugar coated song but as John Lennon said himself, because it's suar coated people accept it.

I mean if Charlie Sheen can get so much attention from his inane ramblings then why can't we have the same effect, but with a meaningful and hopeful message?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Finale "Les Miserables"
edit on 17-4-2011 by angelchanneller because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

edit on 17-4-2011 by angelchanneller because: Trying to learn to embed a youtube video Yikes.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Well, I wish I had more to contribute, but Im not really a music person. One thing I would like to say however, is that the IDEA of using music to unite those of us interested in protecting our democracy is a fantastic one. Studies have shown that music and dance make people "unite" and act more in sync and feel bonded to one another.

Just my nerd contribution.
Great thread.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Yes, one main song that represents the movement is probably best.....there are soooo many great songs out there that boil down to the same sentiment, and I'm sure they will all come into play. John Lennon's "Imagine" is certainly an obvious choice, and I "imagine" it will be played at any sort of mass gatherings, no matter the groups involved, it's so universal.

I do however think the point has been made that sadly that song has been somewhat "highjacked", and it could possibly repel the youth, conservatives, and others that may percieve the association to that song with a "long ago" movement that didn't work.

Anyways, we will know it when we hear it, maybe a whole new song?

p.s. I keep coming back to the thought that it is absolutely essential to have support from the police and military rank and file. I wonder if there are any bands out there started by police officers or military groups?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I think we should try to organize a list of potential songs and artists that express the feelings of the movement.

Then try to contact the artists and concert promoters with the idea.

Maybe a huge concert in DC or a bunch of concerts across the globe might have a significant impact.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel
Well there seems to be many folks who feel violence is neccesary or eminent.......wouldn't it be wonderful if the military and police were all dancing in the streets too! Hey a girl can dream can't she, the visual of that makes me smile

I don't know about that one, but violence is not necessarily the answer, a peaceful protest can be overwhelming to TPTB if organized right

Also

edit on 8/5/2011 by mbartelsm because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join