It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most haunted place on earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Hello ATS

ive compiled a list of 10 of the most haunted places in the world, and i want the ATS community to make the decision on what they believe #1 is.

all you have to do is vote just pick which place you feel to be the creepiest most haunted place out of the 10 i give, if you want you can also put in your own if you feel like i have left something out.

at the end of a two week period i will tally up the votes to see what ATS feels to be the most haunted place on earth

10. Catacombs, Paris, France

Several report seeing a group of shadows in one area of the catacombs; as the living walk along, the dead follow in complete silence. To some the experience is completely overwhelming and tours have been cut short by the growing sense of unease. Photos have revealed orbs and ghostly apparitions, and EVP's have been recorded throughout the vaults. And many, many ghost photos happen all the time.

The catacombs were first cleared in Roman times, with succeeding generations of Gauls and Frenchmen perfecting the Roman engineering. Now the catacombs are a veritable rabbit’s warren, and though many boldly enter without a guide, to do so puts one at risk of being lost there forever. There have been many reports of rash individuals who wandered into the catacombs for a laugh and who have never been seen again

The Paris Catacombs are infamous and much has been written about their history and purpose. A million visitors a year are said to walk the dank corridors and to stare at the bones and gaze fixedly into the empty eye-sockets of the long dead. Many of these same visitors, and some of their guides, have encountered more than just the silence in the catacombs: they have had encounters with ghostly inhabitants that roam the empty passageways and mutely follow the tour groups around

9. Haunted New Orleans, Louisiana

There are reported incidents of people seeing, feeling and hearing the ghosts of tormented slaves in the LaLaurie home, and there are even reports of the Madame herself being seen there. The docile house servants who entreated the assistance of outsiders when the house was about to burn to the ground are said to often return to their task - running and slamming doors and shouts are heard repeatedly. Nor are the spirits of the restless dead quiet: the reports of moans and weeping outnumber all others, and there are several who have seen the ghostly faces of the dead peering from the upper windows and the chamber of horrors that became the crucible of their miserable lives. New Orleans is one of the oldest and most multi-faceted cities in the United States, and there are other tales, similar to those of the LaLaurie home that, sadly, have made their way into our history. But the gruesome horror of this particular event was so ghastly that it stains the city's memory to this very day.

Ghost cats and dogs are said to prowl the New Orleans Haunted cemeteries daily. Very near the great walls of oven tombs. None of these ghost animals have ever shown signs of meanness. Several Tour guides say these are the animals of an 1800's cemetery keepers guard dogs and pets. Orbs, ghost photos, EVP"S, strange phenomena, Voodoo rituals, witchcraft, and Haunted Mardi Gras Parades. Haunted hotels abound Footsteps are heard stomping up and down halls and stairways at night. Doorknobs to your hotel room turn, Closet doors open and close, and a rush of air follows as if someone is walking through. Haunting's to many to mention here, all happen in this New Orleans, the number one most Haunted City in America. Whether you come for Haunted New Orleans haunted history, enchanting shops, night life or just a getaway,, let your next destination be Haunted New Orleans, Louisiana!

8.Auschwitz-Birkenau Concentration Camp, Oswiecim, Poland.

Auschwitz death camp was in operation from May 1940 until its liberation by Soviet forces in January 1945. It is estimated that 2.1 to 2.5 million people were killed in the gas chambers during that time, of whom 2 million were Jews and the remainder were Poles, Gypsies and Soviet POWs. But this estimate is considered by historians to be strictly a minimum, because the total number of deaths at Auschwitz and its sister camp Birkenau can never really be known.

It is clear that Auschwitz-Birkenau was considered by the Germans to be one of their most efficient extermination centers as early as 1941 when the mortuary crematorium at the Auschwitz main camp was adapted as a gas chamber. Additional huts, called “bunkers,” were added around January 1942 and were especially active in the autumn of 1944 when extra capacity was needed for the systematic murder of Hungarian Jews and the liquidation of the ghettos. Between January 1942 and March 1943 over 175,000 Jews were gassed to death here, their bodies burned in open pits nearby.

Anyone who has visited Auschwitz-Birkenau is struck by the overwhelming sense of melancholy and foreboding; visitors have been known to break down in tears for no apparent reason and many have to abandon their tour groups without ever completing the tour. Visitors are struck not only by the horrific memory of the place, but also by the effect it has on the present day: birds still refuse to sing in the trees surrounding the death camps and there is little evidence of a thriving natural environment anywhere nearby. The silence, as they saw, is deafening, even after all these years.

People have reported cold spots and areas of intense emotional concentration. Recent reports have come in that while touring the camp some have been touched or even grabbed by unseen hands. One visitor report that someone or something tugged on her clothes and she heard a voice whispering to her but could not make out anything but one or two words. " Please and leave"!

As of date no paranormal group or investigator has released their findings of the most haunted place on earth to the public. But often tales of this the Most Haunted Hot Spot in the world has many haunted secrets yet to reveal.

Photographs over the years have revealed the presence of spirit manifestations in the form of misty apparitions, shadows, light anomalies and orbs. Given its history and the imprint of horror it leaves on the modern mind, Auschwitz-Birkenau is the most haunted place on earth.

7.Haunted Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

Gettysburg, i have been there 5 times and it is amazing just knowing what happened there over 150 years ago the amount of blood that was shed there and the agony that the soldiers endured over 3 hot july days in 1863.

The most deadly battle of the Civil War took place in 1863 in the tiny Pennsylvania town of Gettysburg. Union soldiers were low on ammunition and losing the fight, nearly capitulating them to the advancing Confederate army. Then, as they used up the last of their gunpowder, a ghostly George Washington on a white stallion appeared before them, urging them on to victory — an event that ultimately turned the tide of the war. That's the way the legend tells it anyway, and to this day, the people who live in and around Gettysburg maintain that George Washington's ghost rides regally across that same battlefield every summer. Of all the forlorn, countless souls awash in time, none reach out to us more than those of the dead at Gettysburg . . . Their presence on earth was silenced forever by death. Or maybe not." -- Mark Nesbitt

There are places in Gettysburg with nicknames like the valley of death, the slaughter pen, devils den, bloody creek. Some of the strongest fighting took place on the 2nd day of the battle and the areas around where the 2nd day of the battle was fought are also some of the most haunted spots on the battlefield. there are reports of people seeing mist that takes the form of humans, camera equipment failing, entire regiments in formation, the sounds of gunfire and cannonfire, screams and full body appiritions.

6.Unit 731 Experimentation Camp, Harbin, Manchuria, China.

“It is called the Asian Auschwitz and, in terms of inhumanity and horror, it certainly warrants this description. Yet there remains a fundamental difference with the crimes perpetrated by the Nazis against Jews: While Germany has shown deep contrition and remorse, the leaders the country that spawned the evil of Unit 731 still struggle to come to grips with what occurred . . . In the end at least 3,000 prisoners, mainly Chinese, were killed directly, with a further 250,000 Chinese left to die through the biological warfare experiments.”

In the gruesome world of Unit 731 the unthinkable was done on a daily basis. Prisoners, mostly taken in Japan’s conquest of Manchuria at the beginning of WWII, were subjected to unimaginable horrors. They were infected with diseases such as anthrax, cholera and even bubonic plague. To gauge the effect of these diseases on their subjects – whom they dehumanized by calling them “logs” – live, un-anesthetized vivisection was performed. In many cases the subjects would regain consciousness while the dissection was taking place.

Parts of the Unit 731 complex still remain – there are buildings where frostbite experiments were performed, courtyards and open areas where prisoners were subjected to live bombs detonated at close range to enable researchers to evaluate the effect of explosives of the sort that Japanese soldiers were encountering in the fields. Other buildings where live human vivisections took place overlook the prisoner holding area and the long-unused railway station where the “logs” were offloaded for their horrible fate.

5. Aokigahara Forest, Japan

Ghost encouters of the wandering dead are said to be often encountered more then just frequently as well as many ghost photos and EVP's.

A very popular myth states that the magnetic iron deposits underground cause compasses to malfunction and travelers to get lost in the forest. However this myth is largely false. Japan's Self Defence Force and the US Military regularly run training practices through portions of the forest, during which military grade lensatic compasses have been verified to function properly. Vehicles, GPS equipment, and other electronic devices function properly.

It is also a popular place for suicides, reportedly the world’s third most popular suicide location after San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge , and (before the installation of the Luminous Veil) Toronto's Bloor Street Viaduct, due in some part to the novel Kuroi Jukai (黒い樹海, lit. Black Sea of Trees?), which ends with the lovers of the novel committing suicide in the forest. Since the 1950s, more than 500 people have lost their lives in the forest, mostly suicides, with approximately 30 suicides counted yearly. In 2002, 78 bodies were found within the forest, replacing the previous record of 73 in 1998. The high rate of suicide has led officials to place signs in the forest, urging those who have gone there to commit suicide to seek help and not kill themselves. The annual search, consisting of a small army of police, volunteers and attendant journalists, began in 1970.

4. Underground Vaults, Edinburgh, Scotland

Far below the busy streets of modern Edinburgh lies a dark, forgotten corner of history. Discovered in the mid-1980’s, the Edinburgh Vaults had been abandoned for nearly two hundred years. Lying beneath the South Bridge, a major Edinburgh passage, the rooms were used as cellars, workshops and even as residences by the businesses that plied their trade on the busy bridge above. Abandoned soon after they were built due to excessive water and moisture, the vaults remain, unaltered, never illuminated by the light of day.

This location is said to be very haunted. Many visitors have been attacked by the unseen and left with bruises, cuts, and scratches. Others have been knocked unconscious and overcome by debilitating nausea and vomiting.

Paranormal investigations have been conducted in the vaults practically since their discovery and to date the location has not failed to provide a wealth of disturbing and unexplainable activity. Recently visited by the crew from England’s “Most Haunted,” the vaults maintained their reputation as the spookiest place in Edinburgh – no member of the team would voluntarily return there.

3. Whitechapel/Spittalfields, London East End, London, England.

The Whitechapel / Spittalfields area of East London has been actively settled since Roman times. Many of the historic buildings are built on the remains of old Roman settlements. Throughout the Dark and Middle Ages, the East End was a burgeoning commerce area, mostly inhabited by Anglos and Jewish moneylenders. In Elizabethan times the East End looked and smelled like something right out of one of Shakespeare’s history plays, and, in fact, the character of Falstaff (Henry V) is said to have been based on an innkeeper from the notorious East End. It was a place of soldiers and prostitutes, brawls and bawdy houses

Today visitors to London’s East End can walk the streets that Jack prowled and visit pubs and other locations he may have haunted in life – and death. Walking tours of the area are very popular and although Jack’s legacy is certainly the most enduring, other ghosts that haunt the East End are those of Jack’s victims, in various stages of mutilation; a ghostly band of Roman soldiers; a murderous sea captain’s ghost that haunts a local pub; and a mysterious black carriage drawn by ghastly white horses that approaches without a sound and disappears right before your eyes. These and other haunts, combined with the long haunted history of the East End make it one of the must visit ghostly locations in the world.

2. ANTIETAM, MARYLAND

Upside down canon barrels mark the spots on the battlefield where Generals were killed. There are five in all on the Antietam battlefield. Ghost Photo sent to us from Belinda Franks.

Strange events have taken place at Bloody Lane that lead people to believe that it is haunted. The sounds of gunfire and the smell of smoke and gunpowder are just some of the strange happenings there. People have also seen strange blue lights near Burnside Bridge where many Federal soldiers died while trying to cross Antietam Creek. The Pry House was used as McClellan's headquarters and is thought to be haunted by General Richardson's wife Frances, who cared for him on his deathbed. Ghosts have also been seen at the Piper House, Sherrick House, Otto House and St. Paul Episcopal Church, which was used, as a Confederate field hospital following the battle.

Many ghost hunters have investigated Antietam Battlefield and have come away with paranormal photos of "orbs" and strange mists. There certainly appears to be here ample reason to conduct an investigation of our own.

1. Borley Rectory, Essex, England

The haunting of the Borley Rectory during the 1920s and 1930s, is undoubtedly one of the most famous in Britain, as well as being one of the most controversial. The wealth of sightings and experiences by independent witnesses, suggests that although much of the phenomena can be explained in rational terms, a percentage remains which can still be seen as inexplicable at the present time

en.wikipedia.org...
www.hauntedamericatours.com...

thanks for baring with me i know the thread is a little long

the numbering i have is also not what i feel to be 10-1, i personally think that Gettysburg is the most haunted place on earth so i will have to choose #7

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Good list. I was hoping a show would investigate/document the findings on "6.Unit 731 Experimentation Camp, Harbin, Manchuria, China.", though now it seems unlikely because of the country's disaster. The buildings have been demolished except for one that(I believe) that severs as a museum, as a reminder that the torture was shameful. Also, I don't think the Japanese Gov., would allow investigations of the paranormal kind there as it to them it would promote a bad light on the country's dark past.
Also,

Poveglia Island

over 160,000 people died on the island throughout its history

Ghost Adventures, did find a bit of evidence when visiting-cameras knocked down by a possible apparition.
edit on 16-4-2011 by dreamingawake because: link edit

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I can remember doing a thread on this exact same topic a while ago.

Anyway, my vote would be for the Catacombs of France.

Long ago, as the city of Paris grew, it became necessary to provide more space for the living. To do so, engineers and planners decided to move the mass of humanity least likely to protest: in this case, the dead. Millions of Parisian dead were quietly disinterred in one of the largest engineering feats in history and their remains were deposited along the walls of the chilly, dank passageways lying beneath the City of Light. They lie there to this day, in the eternal darkness, an Empire of the Dead.
(Source)

P.S: Maybe you should add some external links and give credit to the website(s) which compiled the list. Especially as every single paragraph here has been copied.

edit on 16-4-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Borley Rectory is long gone and the ghosts that resided there have seemingly moved across the road into Borley church... You missed out Englands "new" most haunted house, Chingle Hall in Goosnargh, Lancashire. Although the new owners have destroyed the atmospere that permiated the place ghosts are regularly seen there.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
hehe i love haunted places, very interesting stuff.

I live in Australia and the most haunted place here is the house of Monte Cristo, We are going there in a few months so spend the night, heres hoping i see something
edit on 16-4-2011 by tcmkenny because: spelling

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

You forgot Doll Island. this is one place i would never want to go.
ATS Thread: The Island Of Dolls

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

creepy, not so much for the legend but all thoose dolls looking at me

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
My Vote goes to.......................

8.Auschwitz-Birkenau Concentration Camp, Oswiecim, Poland.

And people, the OP asked to vote on the choices posted not list the ones he missed, jeez are simple instructions that hard to follow?

edit on 16-4-2011 by daikaiju because: adding comment

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The White House in Washington DC should be #1. I swear every president we had for the past 150 years has been possessed by Demons.

Make New Orleans # 2. I know. I live there. We have more Spooks and Possessed folks you can shake a stick at.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
My Vote goes for Unit 731 Experimentation Camp, Harbin, Manchuria, China.

While more perished at Auschwitz, being gassed would be less traumatic than the the experiments and torture that went on at Unit 13.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by daikaiju

The OP told posters they could put their own places in the list if they thought any were left out. The instructions didnt seem that difficult at all.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
My vote is the forest in Japan. I mean, they have signs that say "Please don't kill yourself" and "think about your loved ones."

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
My vote is for the Paris catacombs.

However, you guys should do some research on Kentucky. I used to live there and you can't go a mile down the road without passing something that is considered haunted. Theres a lot of wilderness out there and a lot of unexplained stuff goes down. I'll be posting some of my crazy experiences in the future so keep an eye out.

Two things to note about KY;

1. The famously haunted Waverly Hills Sanitorium, if you haven't heard about it, look it up. Very creepy place indeed.

2. There are several very historic sites in Kentucky that can be linked to the kinds of things that make up a haunted place. For instance, several bloody battles from the civil war took place there and the trail of tears runs right through the state.

Matter of fact, the Native Americans used to call Kentucky, Kaintuck (spelling?) which translates roughly into "Fields of Blood".

Sorry, I got carried away. haha

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by gillyp17
reply to post by daikaiju

The OP told posters they could put their own places in the list if they thought any were left out. The instructions didnt seem that difficult at all.

I stand corrected

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I'm voting for 8.Auschwitz-Birkenau Concentration Camp, Oswiecim, Poland. I believe these people were tortured as well.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
so with a wopping 2 votes for each the paris catacombs and Auschwitz-Birkenau Concentration Camp we are tied right now

kinda wish this thread took off a little but whatever there still time left, also that doll island is pretty creepy i must say

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
How does Savannah, Georgia not make the list? And to the poster that listed Waverly Hills, that place definitely gets my vote.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Good list.

Of your list I pick the catacombs. But you are missing one in that list.

Pluckley is said to be the most haunted village in Britain. It is reputed to have twelve (possibly thirteen or fourteen) ghosts.

en.wikipedia.org...

It's gotten so bad there apparently that they banned halloween due to the amount of people fluding the village.

RESIDENTS of Pluckley, famous for being the most haunted village in the UK are so fed-up of their village being taken over every year that they have banned Halloween.

www.eastkilbridenews.co.uk...

Nice thread

new topics

top topics

join