It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun Experts...what is this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Whilst reviewing the 9th march Solar Flare I noticed the Sun releasing a shock wave just after the flare..

you can see it @ 0:08 mark and much better @ 1:04 ...

Image sequence :

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/19e263dbca79.jpg[/atsimg]

A CME or Flare is not release throughout the whole surface of the Sun, just curious to see what it is

any help

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by heineken

looks like plasma

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
im not sure...i see it happened before...i thought a CME originates from a certain area of the sun not through the whole diameter...

i observed a much bigger one here@ 5:13:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I am far from being an expert, but this does seem a little strange compared to what I am used to seeing. I am sure it is normal though . . . an expert should be along shortly I would think. Bump.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Relevant to topic discussion.....someone needs to checkout ASAP....What is happening to the sun in these pics???

April 15, 2011 SUN

April 16, 2011 - SUN

SOHO - April 16, 2011

If I could *bump* this I would......

Enjoy?!?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
When the visible wave seems to emanate from the whole disc of the sun, it means that a CME is pointed directly at the camera, rather than off to one side or the other. If the camera is on the earth, then that is where the CME is headed.

So what you are seeing is a second CME which is, unlike the first one, aimed at the earth.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaHere

i owe u plenty ^^

so now we can clearly predict if its earthbound right?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by heineken
reply to post by OuttaHere

so now we can clearly predict if its earthbound right?

You can usually see if it is earthbound at www.spaceweather.com, however I have noticed that Spaceweather doesn't ALWAYS tell us in a timely manner that a CME is coming in, which is where NICT, the Space Weather Prediction Center (NOAA SWPC), the Solar Dynamics Observatory, the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO), and STEREO come in handy.

I believe your source was the SOHO LASCO C2 using some kind of pc software.

Generally if the CME appears as a halo around the disc it means that the CME is aimed at earth. Other factors influencing the possibility of resulting geomagnetic storms include the speed and force of the ejection as well as the composition of (and total mass of) material ejected.

Here is a more concise explanation: Suntrek
edit on 16-4-2011 by OuttaHere because: added a link

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The pics posted by Spydr is just a malfunction of the cameras right? Looks scary!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Data for that date:

March 9th ended with a powerful solar flare. Earth-orbiting satellites detected an X1.5-class explosion from behemoth sunspot 1166 around 2323 UT. A movie from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (above) shows a bright flash of UV radiation plus some material being hurled away from the blast site.

nasa.gov

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by spydrbyte25

I have seen pictures *similar* to those posted on ATS before. I don't remember, however, a satisfactory answer being given for the cause.

Those pics are enough to make me have to go change my drawers!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Spaceweather.com

M-FLARE: The magnetic canopy of sunspot 1190 erupted on April 15th, producing an M-class solar flare. The brief blast did not, however, hurl a cloud of plasma toward Earth. NOAA forecasters estimate a 55% chance of more M-flares during the next 24 hours

edit on 16-4-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Ok, but can explain why the first to pics look as though they are being modified?!? Like an older pic on top of a newer possibly?

The 3rd picture, what is that little object on that ring thing?

If there was a bad enough solar flare(X-Class) could it potentially cause telecommunications to cease working for a duration hypothetically?

***SHOUT for 5T4RSCREAM

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
The pics posted by Spydr is just a malfunction of the cameras right? Looks scary!

i have seen such anomaly many times...just some loss in the data..nothing to worry about

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
we need to correct something in this thread...

this thread is referring to the ring expanding from the Sun

it was previously said in this thread that this happens when a flare is directed towards earth but this is not the case since LASCO satellites are stationary..this is observed when the flare is camera directed..towards the satellite not Earth..

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Just bumping this thread....I want to know what that is too....because people have been posting photos and vid of rings around the sun lately....just curious.

new topics

top topics

join