It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a motive behind seemingly overplayed songs on the radio?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
For some reason I have been noticing certain songs being played on the radio more often than usual popular songs since mid 2010. Most of the seemingly overplayed music appears to be of the Hip-Hop variety or of a similar type.
Examples include:
"Dynamite" by Taio Cruz
"Baby I Like it" by Enrique Iglesias
"Poker Face" by Lady Gaga

I don't know why but is it possible that this is overplaying of a certain genre of music
intentional for some reason(brainwash,dumbing down,mind control,etc.)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
to get people to buy, genius

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I think it has always been that way with music. No matter what station it is they do the same thing. This is why I don't listen to the radio. It does get annoying

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Tell me about it. Every time my mother tunes into Magic 105.4 on the car, it's the same songs all the time. Especially at night when they go "Relax with Magic", they just have to overplay the same songs which are not even relaxing! Can't they play some Jazz for example. Jazz is relaxing. More than Enrique Iglesias I bet...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Nogard2012

Yes, it is done purposely, but the reasons are purely financial.

I guess the music companies throw lots of incentives to the radio stations. Although that damn song poker face, seems to be on a hell of a lot.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
To get people to lose faith in music? Music really is the only truly universal language, by polluting the air waves with meaningless noise the people won't have an escape from the commercial culture we are doomed to be part of......Or maybe they're just desperate to get people to buy this crap.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure the motive is, as others have noted, to sell albums/units.

Nothing new here.

link   
Most radio stations are formatted..Stations play what songs are popular to keep their number of listeners up.plus artists release songs in order to promote an upcoming album release. That way people who like the songs can then purchase the album.. It's all about making money

link   
I think the buyouts by Clear Channel made a big difference, consolidating all the stations under one umbrella. I have a friend that is a dj at the local radio station and he said they go by formulas of the same old songs, and have provided playlists based on record sales. I mean ACDC does have other songs besides You Shook Me All Night Long! Imo, it comes down to money and a youth and beauty oriented music industry, focusing more on appearance than quality. Thank goodness for internet radio and Pandora!

These threads always remind of an outstanding documentary on today's music industry.
Before The Music Dies.....A must for music fans!

Full Movie:
www.hulu.com...

Peace,
spec

edit on 16-4-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
There is a radio station here in the UK called Heart FM and they play that same generic pop trash on a 1 hour loop 24/7.

I really don't know why people listen to it and I feel sorry for those poor people who have to listen to this garbage through no choice of their own at work for 8 to 10 hours per day.
edit on 16-4-2011 by NeoSpace because: typo

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
to get people to buy, genius

exactly, it so we spend more cash or crap that we don't need

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

its called predictive programming,hence why they talk aboit rain in everything too,well i got something for em,im a rap artist nd i sampled taxi driver when deniro said someday a real rain will come wash all this scum off the streets,i made it into a beat,be on the look out for the song against the mainstream

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Your thread fails because of the 3 artists you named and trying to label them under "hip-hop".

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I was at one time an assistant engineer at a 50,000 watt radio station. The music there was by subscription. My boos went out to California and subscribed to a satellite feed for out format, all the DJ did was play commercials via tapes, and we all recorded commercials for local business. The worst part of that job was climbing a 100 foot tower in the wind to install or realign an antenna. Whew!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
It's due to the format of the radio station. if you're listening to a station that plays mainstream pop and hip hop then it's probably a top 40 station. Like the name implies the station only has 40 songs on it's roster at a time, so repeats abound all day. On top of that, in the software radio stations use (it's all automated) place priority on more popular songs. This leads to a handful of songs being played far more than others (usually the top 10 or 15).

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Record labels pay money to program directors to play their artists. The example I've always heard was this : a label will invite program directors to "listening parties" held in places like Hawaii, Caribbean etc. The director gets an all expensive paid vacation under the guise of a work function with the understanding he/she will in turn play the labels artists.

Radio is dead because of things like this.

How do you think songs get in the top 40? The labels pay for them to be.
edit on 17-4-2011 by drock905 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
its always been that way man

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Payola is supposed to be illegal, these listening parties are one way around the laws. People are followers, play something enough and it convinces people its good and popular so they in turn go out and buy nickelback albums.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
There are three stations here that I love, and they have an awesome selection of music.

The rock station

The oldies station

The random station (Jack FM. They play a little bit of everything.)

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Well duh!

If you've taken the time to listen as much as you say, then you've been duped too.

I would tune into a local college station or community radio station. Hell, I'll take satellite radio over the offerings on the air.

And I do hope you are not offended by what I said. I do agree that certain songs are overplayed, though they are of the nu-metal variety (which is utter garbage) where I live.
edit on 17-4-2011 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join