It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13 things you didn't know about cats!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

1. Nose-to-nose greetings between cats are unusual, as it puts both in a vulnerable position. However, cats who know each other well but have been apart for a while feel safe enough to do this to confirm visual recognition and gain information about how the other cat is, where he has been and what he has been doing.

2. Purring usually indicates contentment, however, a deep purr can also indicate pain. If you know your cat well you will be able to tell the difference in his demeanor.

3. Cats start to purr at one week old and can do so continually as they inhale and exhale.

4. Young cats purr in a monotone, while older ones do so in two to three resonant notes.

5. Scientist still do not know exactly how the purring sound is made, although some believe that it originates in the cardiovascular system rather than the throat.

6. Cats appear to retain their kitten vocal signals to communicate with their owners, but they use and adult repertoire of sound with other cats.

7. Like dogs, cats can also get sick or die from eating chocolate.

8. Cats like to nap rather than sleep but if relaxed enough to enter a deeper sleep, they produce the same brain wave patterns that we do when we dream.

9. Cats blink and narrow their eyes when they accidentally make eye contact. To make friends with an unfamiliar cat, blink and look away when you catch his eyes

10. A cat’s pulse is between 160-240 beats per minute, depending on the age of the cat (the younger he is, the faster the heartbeat.)

11. Cats cannot understand punishment as humans do, they must be praised and rewarded for desired behavior instead.

12. Giving your cat a strip of raw meat everyday to chew on will keep his gums and teeth in good condition. Suitable meats include poultry, rabbit, or beef that has been deboned.

13. If your cat appears to be able to tolerate heat very well this is because the ancestors of cats were originally desert-living animals.

SOURCE

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I have a cat and I love her. She is the moat playful cat ever just absolutely loves attention. I love cats, especially big African cats.

Anyone else like cats?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

13. If your cat appears to be able to tolerate heat very well this is because the ancestors of cats were originally desert-living animals.

I thought it was because we used to eat them!

They do taste very good!

BTW I do love cats I have a Himalayan, which I will not eat. . . anytime soon!

edit on 4/16/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Good thread!

edit on 16-4-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
14. Cats can't flush the tiolet because they don't have opposable thumbs.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Lol I have a Pure bred manx! Pretty cool.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Thanks

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
CATS are evil!!! i have never liked cats and never will no matter how many new things i learn...have you ever looked into a cats eyes? there is something definately there that freaks me out...there is just somethng about them that isnt quite right
edit on 16-4-2011 by gdaub23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Thank you for this thread, I did not know some of these facts

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

Because they are decedents of African big cats and animals alike.

That's why I like cats, they have an evil side and they like to show it.

Gdaub is there anything that you like? Not once have I ever read a post a about something you like!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoSpace

Lol cute cat! Mine is grey with white paws a white chest and white nose. I'll post a pic when in a minute when I get to my computer.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

They aren't evil... It's just you. Cats won't ever attack you unless you annoy them.
Cats just want fish and peace.

edit on 16-4-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
15. You don't own your cat, It owns you...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by gdaub23
CATS are evil!!! i have never liked cats and ever will no matter how many new things i learn...have you ever looked into a cats eyes? there is something definately there that freaks me out...there is just somethng about them that isnt quite right

^^ lol...Some comedian once said, that a cat will immediately start to eat you, if you'd die next to it.
Cats are boring...all they do is sleep, or lay there and look at you with those cold eyes.
edit on 16-4-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kid_cudi

yeah.there is plenty of things i like,it just happens that cats arent one of them...i love dogs..when you look into a dogs eyes i see that love and when i look into a cats eyes there is something really wrong with their look...maybe it is just me and cats know i dont like em and maybe thats why they give me the dirty looks,i dont know..i do know that i dont have to spit if a black dog walks in front of me unlike when a black cat does...yes,i do believe that myth of black cats and bad luck...there has got to be a reason why it was started..
edit on 16-4-2011 by gdaub23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by gdaub23
CATS are evil!!! i have never liked cats and never will no matter how many new things i learn...have you ever looked into a cats eyes? there is something definately there that freaks me out...there is just somethng about them that isnt quite right

Maybe it's the snake like eyes?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

Lol okay just making sure.

This is to the guy who said all they do is sleep! If you stay awake and follow your cat around at night they are full of energy and go crazy.

Cats have a chemical in their brain that naturally makes them trip and gets them high at different times. Another fact you probably didn't know.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I love my cat, his well good at catching fish!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by RandalFlagg

Dude your cat is awesome

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
good thread

never new half that about cats lol i try the blink thing with mine when she comes in

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join