It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Children As Young As 12 Allowed Puberty Blocking Drugs

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

What does it mean for the future?

Probably legal pedophilia.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

5/10

Wow those are some impressive lady boys.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
reply to post by SyphonX

Are you a psychologist? If not your opinion really means nothing to this issue.

I think these drugs should only be used in extreme cases where the patient has shown a lifetime of transgendered behavior and is suicidal because of their GID. But I am no expert so my opinion really means nothing to this issue.

Why are you even in this thread, if all you're going to do is tell people their opinion doesn't matter, including your own.. yet you somehow claim you are right, regardless?

I'm sorry you don't feel strongly on the matter of destroying children's bodies. Maybe you should work on that.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
This world is just get [SNIP] by the day.

And if you think this is bad than you ain't seen nothing:

Explicit cartoons, films and books have been cleared for use to teach sex education to schoolchildren as young as five. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

A disturbing dossier exposes a wide range of graphic resources recommended for primary school lessons.

The shocking material – promoted by local councils and even the BBC – teaches youngsters about adult language and sexual intercourse.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Among the books singled out in the report is How Did I Begin? by Mick Manning and Brita Granstrom which has a cartoon image of a couple in bed in an intimate embrace.

It is accompanied by an explanation – using frank and adult terminology – of the act of intercourse.

Another, called The Primary School Sex And Relationships Education Pack by HIT UK, includes material to allow children aged five to 11 to learn about different sexual positions and prostitution.

The BBC has been highlighted for an educational video featuring full frontal nudity, while its learning resources department, BBC Active, shows computer-generated images of male genitalia.

All the material has been recommended by councils for use at ages ‘seven-plus’.

The dossier, compiled by the Christian Institute, also pinpoints a book called Let’s Talk About Sex, by Robie H Harris, which includes a chapter on heterosexuality called ‘Straight and Gay’.

Furious family campaigners have described the material as ‘too much, too young’ and warn it will encourage sexualisation.

Mike Judge, of the Christian Institute, said: ‘The current approach to sex education demands ever more explicit sex education at ever younger ages.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Mail online

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 18/4/11 by argentus because: removed censor circumvention

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
When its time for puberty, its time for puberty.
It should not be delayed regardless, how do
we know the safety of using these drugs,
especially long term. What are we doing to
the children, a pill for this, an injection for
that. Imagine a child not entering puberty
until they are in their 20's, wouldn't that cause
even more confusion. A grownup in a childs
body?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

It occurs to me that part of what gives us desire are the very hormones they're talking about blocking, so I don't understand the benefit of delaying the onset of hormones. It seems to me like the more sensible option for both the psychological and physical gender ambiguity issues would be to let the hormones do their thing and by expressing themselves, they may help the person decide what to do.

It depends I think. Some people react differently to hormones. So I don't think we can say, only hormones affect us. Look at how different women react through periods, menopause and men who take HRT or do anabolic steroids for athletic reasons.

I don't think we can say it is 100% in the Psyche, or 100% in the Hormones. Seems to be a balance of the both.

Oh, and your friend is right.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Next up on the "What the [SNIP] " logical fallacies of the 21st century:

Pre-pubescent children allowed to choose adult mate (somehow the child knows what he/she is doing, at a time when they are discovering legos and reading)

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 18/4/11 by argentus because: removed profanity

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I got 7 out of 10, although the test is pretty useless for me, as I am a girl lol.

Just to add my penny worth, I couldn't imagine the notion of postponing puberty, it is a set time in your life when the world is upside down, and you think you know everything, you learn about the fragility of self esteem, and actually its a pretty abhorrent time in your life, but you are going through it a the same time as everybody else, so there is a common ground between everyone, whether it is realised on an individual level or not.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I got 6 out of 10 right. I am well versed with this phenomena and have even spoken with my children about what it means to be intersexed or even transgendered. Its not evil, nor is it anything new. I think this is a great idea that could potentially help a lot of people. rather than getting on a high horse and stroking myself with my own morality I take into account the people I know who have made the change from male to female. All of them knew from the single digits that something was not right. I will never understand why people think children are idiots who dont know their own bodies. Who dont know their own minds. Even if they are unable to express it vocally...they know. If I would have put a dress on my soon at 3 he would have taken it off. He knew he was a boy. He knew there was a difference between his sister and himself even if he wasnt quite sure about the meat of it. gender identity happens a lot earlier than people realize. Nova actually put out a great article on the possibility of more than 2 genders. I am still learning my way around posting things but here is an excerpt followed by a link:

"In 1843 Levi Suydam, a 23-year-old resident of Salisbury, Connecticut, asked the town's board of selectmen to allow him to vote as a Whig in a hotly contested local election. The request raised a flurry of objections from the opposition party, for a reason that must be rare in the annals of American democracy: It was said that Suydam was "more female than male," and thus (since only men had the right to vote) should not be allowed to cast a ballot. The selectmen brought in a physician, one Dr. William Barry, to examine Suydam and settle the matter. Presumably, upon encountering a phallus and testicles, the good doctor declared the prospective voter male. With Suydam safely in their column, the Whigs won the election by a majority of one."

www.pbs.org...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Also, puberty hit people at different times. I was 10 and a c-cup. I hated it. I was angry because 10 year old boys do not respond well to such things. Hell...10, 11, 12, 13, 14...even they werent ready to deal with me without being idiots. Many young girls have the bodies of women way before they are mentally prepared for them and if my mother had presented me with a pill that would have allowed me to be a kid a little bit longer...I would have been ecstatic.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Is there any uncomfortable but essential biological function that hasn't been designated a treatable disfunction? Man up and go through menopause or puberty or the seasonal affected disorder or the testicular torsion or the being unable to sit still and silent for eight hours at a stretch or the being unable to process dairy or the putting on a few pounds due to inactivity or any of the dozens of other biological functions which do not call for medical intervention.

Not intending to be insensitive to the TG folks, but geez.
edit on 16-4-2011 by mistermonculous because: seasonal disaffected disorder=minor freudian slip

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mistermonculous

testicular tortion is pretty gnarly from what the Venture Brothers have shown us. sure you dont want a pill?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Here's a fun quiz for anyone that doesn't understand the issue.

Post your scores, I got 3/10

edit on 16-4-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

80%. Mistake one each gender. Not too bad.
edit on 16-4-2011 by QueSeraSera because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

The conundrum arises when... We have people that clearly grow up and want to switch gender roles, but at the same time a child is inexperienced, and not quite ready to realize the full consequence of making a decision at such an early age.

So on one hand, you have choice, but that choice could be wrong. And on the other hand, you have natural course, and that could also wrong on the individual level.

Obviously, it is a difficult subject....

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by irsuccubus

The only reason people say children don't know themselves is because people tell them that/treat them like that, from an early age because they are trying to mold them.

I cannot count how many times I was yelled at, slapped, ignored because I posed questions to adults that they didn't like. As a child, I always talked to adults on the same level, and I noticed a great amount of vindictiveness.

Now as an adult, when I see kids that are similar, I jest with them to challenge the things they say without being condescending to them. I find that some of the smartest kids are overlooked because they start out as critical thinkers, they may eventually lose this because of pressure from people older than them.

Whether this translates to gender identity I don't know. And there is also the argument that what we tell kids is a reality, so if we just keep the status quo.. it will remain the same. And some would argue they would be better for it.

If history teaches us anything though, there are a lot of problems that arise when a person cannot be honest with themselves, or the public. Repressed emotions do not help anyone.

My position on this subject is: that people have to consider alternatives, it is a grey zone, and a lot of care needs to be taken with anyone who has these feelings. This cannot turn into some blanket diagnosis or profitable treatment. We have enough evidence that shows certain people don't agree with the way they are born and that needs to be respected.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Im confused.

Do they suspend puberty untill the person makes there mind up and then use hormone replacement or something to steer the persons gender one way or another?

What if they change there mind?

At least with surgery, some of it is reversable but once you actually grow in to a woman or man. It would be a lot harder to reverse surely.

I still havent made my mind up whether this is a purely psychological illness that can be treated in some way. Thats probably down to ignorance on my part as i havent done much research. Part of me thinks its like homosexuality and you cant help it.

I dont know but its an interesting subject. Not one that i want to spend hours looking in to though.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by BungleX

I retract my slightly witty, but off-beam post.

I do realize that delaying the on-set of puberty in intersexed children until they arrive at a decision they feel comfortable with is preferable to their undergoing the sex-specific physical alterations which come with puberty and then being in the untenable position of wishing they still had the option of developing opposite-sex characteristics.

Apologies.

edit on 17-4-2011 by mistermonculous because: Hah-bleeehhhh, is late.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
WHO are you to question the government?

If your children question whether they are a male or female does NOT require your input.

I find it hilarious that the serfs think they have a say in things. What HUMOR!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join