It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Children As Young As 12 Allowed Puberty Blocking Drugs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

UK Children As Young As 12 Allowed Puberty Blocking Drugs

www.telegraph.co.uk

The monthly injection suspends the onset of adulthood so that young people confused about their gender can be sure of any decision before they take on too many masculine or feminine features.
Supporters say that the "window" prevents a great deal of mental and physical anguish caused by the maturing of sex organs, facial hair growth and changes in the voice.
But critics argue it only prolongs the agony and can prevent people "growing out" of any feelings of confusion.
The treatment can be prescribed for people diagnosed with Gender Identity Disorder (GID) – a rare psychiatric conditio
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
So now it seems that even the 'discomfort' of puberty can be avoided indefinitely. I really don't understand what this means for our future. I sometimes dread the fact that some of us are going to have to share the world with these children when they become adults.
I am even more amazed that America is the go to place for these types of treatments. But I guess it is important to realize that if there were no demand for these services and treatments then they probably would not be available. At least I hope not.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Humans are defying nature more and more, and it's gonna end us. This is ridiculous!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
blocking puberty... when I was at highschool I always wanted puberty to hit me faster... who would want to slow it down?

Even now at 22 I would struggle if I attempted to grow a beard lol

This is wrong anyway... kids have enough crap going into there systems as it is without giving them more drugs... and who knows what sort of affects this could have in the long run.

Imagine if it blocked puberty completely and you never grew up it would be a horrendous outcome.

I swear there is a drug for everything these days!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
STOP THE WORLD........I WANT TO GET OFF!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by RandalFlagg

Geez, yeah I forgot about that. I couldn't wait to hit puberty. I think South Park even had an episode about this (I remember the way Cartman said, 'pewbs', hilarious).
I seriously do agree with our Viking friend sometimes. I would like to get off, too. Sometimes.
Can you even believe it? To give the kids time to make a decision about gender before they got through puberty? Kids don't think of crap like that. Who is putting these ideas into their heads?
edit on 16-4-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Yeah pal Scot Tenerman must die... Cartman buys pewbs of him and then thinks this means he has his hit puberty before the rest of the lads... hilarious!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
This is for transgendered people. When a young person is diagnosed as being transgendered the drugs block puberty so if they decide to go through with the full sex change this enables the person to pass as their desired gender and will eventually take hormones that will cause puberty of their desired sex.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Boys will be prevented from developing male traits such as facial hair, deeper voices and Adam's apples and girls will not develop breasts or menstruate. But Dr Carmichael said that only around 10 to 20 per cent of prepubescent children with GID went onto have a sex change. Around 80 per cent in late puberty were likely to have the operation.
This is disgusting. Gender identity issues? Stop dressing your sons up in pink dresses and pretending their ballerinas, or they'll actually choose to cut off their organs so they can grow up as women.

A complete and utter aberration. Children undergoing sex change operations. Drugs that prevent natural hormone release to finalize one's gender. Parents that actually condone this treatment and people that actually develop it. The whole concept of "GID" is laughable. A complete bastardization and perversion of the natural order of life.

I don't know what else to say. I'm completely ashamed to be called "human" because of the path people are choosing to take.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

I think you are completely ignorant on this issue. For people with GID it is life or death and many would rather commit suicide than have to continue living the gender role of their birth sex. These drugs would only be used in extreme cases and its not like there is some sort of transgendered agenda that is trying to recruit people to join their club.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Puberty is all about confusion. To suggest that a 12 year old can sort out their sexuality in a was definitive enough to warrant this treatment is absurd. The diagnosis is by definition subjective. I have no doubt there are folks who need to have the treatment. 12 is far too young to begin it

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

I know a few people who are transgendered and have transitioned. All of them were sure from a very young age like 5 or younger that they were different and never accept the standard gender role they were suppose to be born into.

I am not a psychiatrist or an endocrinologist therefor not an expert, but I do believe that giving someone who is suicidal because of GID a way out via hormone therapy at a young age is an acceptable practice.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I think this might actually be a good idea. I remember seeing a docu on this canadian guy who was soo messed up from his childhood he killed himself. the doctors told the parents to raise him as a girl and forced surgeries and meetings with trannies at a very young age.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Here's a fun quiz for anyone that doesn't understand the issue.

Post your scores, I got 3/10

edit on 16-4-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
if there was a drug that could be developed that would prevent stupidity i would be all for it.

but alas there will never be such a thing be made.

at 12 how any kid that age make the decision that would effect them for the rest of their lives.

too damn far that is just going to far people are playing god at every turn and it will only continue to get worse.

that poster is right stop the planet and let me off the stupidity joy ride.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
It is complete BS, and no I am not ignorant on this matter.

First of all, kudos to the people trying to blur the line between sexuality and "gender roles" as if there is any distinct difference. Your levels of disinformation and obfuscation have reached black-magic levels. Suggesting that a pre-pubescent CHILD can determine their sexuality choices for LIFE and damaging their body PERMANENTLY before they even reach puberty, is a PATHETIC projection of prejudices, insecurities and personal life-choices from supposed adults, abusive parents and misguided deviants.

Children, do not even know how the reproductive system works, much less how their opposite gender's private parts even function. They don't know how it feels, they don't know what it's like to have deep emotions.. absolutely none of the above. To suggest otherwise is insane. To suggest a child should be convinced to DESTROY their body to transgender because of some non-existent disease.. oh no wait, it's not a disease, it's a 'choice', is absolutely horrid. It is child-abuse of the highest order.

And truly, I think the idea a child as young as 5, or younger, as suggested in this thread, has SEVERE mental issues because they think they should be a different gender, is absolutely untrue. It is more likely, and don't hold me on this one.. but it's likely the troubled teen or young-adult just imposes this on their own memories because they feel so strongly about it in their current life, post-puberty. Or, the parents or environment themselves/itself is so neglectful, and so abusive, that the child is rendered completely and mentally disturbed. What's the real problem here?

This is absolutely, completely, f-ing disgusting, and that's all I have to say about that.
edit on 16-4-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

A friend of mine lived in Thailand and he said the most beautiful girls there were men, or I guess they call them Katoey or something like that, and if he had ever been fooled by one I couldn't get him to admit it.

What you can't tell from those photos is the height, that may be a clue sometimes to be careful if you meet a very pretty girl who seems a little on the tall side.

What surprised me about the story in the OP is that it refers to just a psychological condition.

But there is also a physical condition that affects up to 1% of the human population which surprised me, called Intersex

Intersex, in humans and other animals, is the presence of intermediate or atypical combinations of physical features that usually distinguish female from male. This is usually understood to be congenital, involving chromosomal, morphologic, genital and/or gonadal anomalies, such as diversion from typical XX-female or XY-male presentations, e.g., sex reversal (XY-female, XX-male), genital ambiguity, sex developmental differences. An intersex individual may have biological characteristics of both the male and the female sexes.

Some people (whether physically intersex or not) do not identify themselves as either exclusively female or exclusively male. Androgyny is sometimes used to refer to those without gender-specific physical sexual characteristics or sexual preferences or gender identity, or some combination of these.[7] This state may or may not include a mixture or absence of sexual preferences.
I think in the case of intersexed individuals it's probably best to wait to make any surgery decisions until after puberty sets in.

It occurs to me that part of what gives us desire are the very hormones they're talking about blocking, so I don't understand the benefit of delaying the onset of hormones. It seems to me like the more sensible option for both the psychological and physical gender ambiguity issues would be to let the hormones do their thing and by expressing themselves, they may help the person decide what to do.

I can understand perfectly why an intersexed person might get surgery, as I don't think society is very accepting of the ambiguity. Just look at every form you fill out, you only have 2 checkboxes, one for male, and one for female. There's no checkbox for "somewhere in-between".

But I can't understand why a person who isn't intersexed would get surgery, especially nowadays when society seems to be more accepting of homosexuality.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
This is for transgendered people. When a young person is diagnosed as being transgendered the drugs block puberty so if they decide to go through with the full sex change this enables the person to pass as their desired gender and will eventually take hormones that will cause puberty of their desired sex.

I'm sorry, but don't you mean Prepubescent CHILDREN, with minds not even fully developed, not even capable of rational thought, critical thinking of any order whatsoever? Much less critical decisions such as permanently maiming themselves, and willingly destroying their own bodies over SEXUALITY choices.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Are you a psychologist? If not your opinion really means nothing to this issue.

I think these drugs should only be used in extreme cases where the patient has shown a lifetime of transgendered behavior and is suicidal because of their GID. But I am no expert so my opinion really means nothing to this issue.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join