It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly volcano that's one of the most dangerous on Earth... but scientists cannot study it...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Source

Mount Nyiragongo is one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world - and scientists say it is only a matter of time before it makes the city below a modern day Pompeii.

But they don't know when since, located as it is in the war-torn eastern edge of the Democratic Republic of Congo, the two mile high cauldron of lava is also one of the least well understood.

At the base of Nyiragongo sprawls Goma, a city of an estimated one million people, numbers swelling by the day as villagers from the countryside seek refuge from rebel and government forces.

Twice in recent years Nyiragongo's eruptions have hit the city, destroying homes and sending residents fleeing. But now, seismologists believe, the risk is not just near the city, but directly beneath it.

For the past 20 years the region has suffered nearly constant warfare, including a spillover from the genocide in neighbouring Rwanda.

A fragile, often broken peace is maintained by 20,000 United Nations troops, one of the largest peace-keeping missions in the world.

Photographer Carsten Peter tests the thermal suit that Sims used to get close to the lava lake.

Exploration: A member of the expedition walks on the caldera's cooled lava floor, turned red by the reflected glow of the lake

Maybe it is just me but I have never heard of this volcano before.
And I had to share these beautiful pictures...

That's horrible that such a large volcano cannot be studied as it is in the middle of a war zone. Can these people not understand if this is not studied, then they all die?

I just thought I would bring this story to ATS as we have a lot of people on here that like these kind of stories, and love mother natures power and beauty.

My favorite picture is the one where the guy is walking on the cooled lava bed but because of the color reflected it looks as if he is walking on lava.

Any thoughts?

Pred...
edit on 16-4-2011 by predator0187 because: edited title to fit

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Very cool, loving the second image.
thanks for sharing these

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
wow 2 million people is a lot of people who could potentially die if this thing blows!

With the current state the earth is in with all the quakes and all it sure makes me glad that I leave in a safe place as far as volcanic or tectonic activity go!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Looking at this and the info, I have to believe it could be the plan to NOT study it.

If it were to blow, what would happen? Millions die and Africa is wasted (maybe).

TPTB: Excellent! One less populated place to worry about. Now we don't have to worry about them eating our food and drinking our water. Now we can have access to all the resources with no one to stop us.

I know it sounds far fetched but if it was deemed as so important to study it, there is not a lot that the warring factions could do against other Countries forcing their way in with advanced technology to study it.

So, maybe it's already known that it poses no threat or it does pose a threat and someone is hoping for the event to happen.

Just to say, I don't know and I'm just posting food for thought.

Thanks for the post.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

WOW Wee, that thisd photo !
Thats sum scary shizzy, looks out of a movie.
That doesnt sound good if it does blow!!!

Thanx for sharing that Pred

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Perhaps, that is what is going on, but, if it was a large enough eruption it could affect the whole world. It could change our climate patterns and even make the whole Earth colder.

Granted, TPTB are probably prepared for all of this and have bunkers and stockpiled food, but if it would shift the whole Earths climate it would affect them as well.

Good theory though.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by VenomVile.6

Your welcome buddy. I agree there is something about that third picture, just scary as can be. Would be an absolute rush being there though.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Having recently read up on the Congo's recent history Id say if there were a hell on earth its probably there think apocolypse now. So I can see why noboby is going there to study it. As far as tptb wanting it to erupt, i dont think so theyre allready busy there raping the Congo of its precious metals especially coltan. The last thing they would want is for there slave mines to be disruptd by this volcano.

top topics

join