It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Gulf coast residents

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Of which I am one. I am wondering if Corexit is making us sick (I am in the Tampa Bay area). Friends of mine are sick, my whole family including me is sick. All the symptoms are the same. Coughing, stuffy nose, phlegm, but no muscle aches except the ribcage hurting from coughing so much. Some elder folks I have seen are sick going on a month. It is in the chest really bad and cough medicines are not helping, Mucinex doesn't help, My friend was on antibiotics, which didn't help. Asthma like symptoms are predominant (I have asthma but even others who don't are having something like asthma attacks, and wheezing really awful). I would like to hear from other Florida Gulf residents whom are experiencing these same symptoms, I have a sneaky suspicion it IS from the oil cleanup. Did I mention headaches. And they are doozies!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I am just south of you about 125 miles "Cape Coral, Fl". Not sure if it has to do with what's going on in the gulf or not, but our water has been really weird for the last couple of months. First of all even though we add salt to our water softener regularly the water still feels gritty when we take showers, and it has a strange smell as well. Also, we have a 75 gallon fish tank that we've had for about three years and have always had crystal clear water because we clean it regularly by sucking the crap out of the rocks, keeping good filters and not over feeding etc. But for the last month we've had to change the tank 3 or 4 times because of the water becoming VERY cloudy within a week or so of cleaning the tank. That has never been a problem before recently. My girlfriend and 2 of the 3 kids have several of the symptoms you mentioned and they don't seem to go away. Stuffy Nose, Headaches, Tired much more than usual, Breathing Problems as well. I know something is up with the water, just not sure if the gulf disaster has anything to do with it or not. I'll follow your thread S&F.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Tampa here, Ive swam in the bay ( not sure if thats the wisest of choices but it beats the Ohio river ) Im not sick but I know of others who have had similar symptoms. I think its more of a bug going around. The stress associated with the economics of our state are Im sure no benefit to the immune system. With that said, the oil spill and Fukashima disater will cause disturbing and unforseen effects long into the future........

Nice to know Tampa is on the ATS map. Blessings

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
This what you describe is rampant here in Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte area. We live on the water next to Charlotte harbor. My wife is constantly fighting the symptoms you describe. There is not known remedy nor is the Doctors able to really diagnose what is causing it.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I live on the coast near Fort Walton Beach, and I don't think it has anything to do with oil either.

For months, there's been a bug going around that folks get and while the worst symptoms have usually peaked within a few days to a week, there is a lingering headache, some drainage, and ongoing residual sickness that can continue for weeks.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Good to remain aware but the symptoms you are having are through some nasty flu bugs floating around the entire country. Hope you all get well and use all the home remedies you already know to use.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
A good herb for such ailments is mullein!

It is beneficial to tones the mucous membranes, reducing inflammation and stimulating fluid production, thus facilitating expectoration. Mullein has anti-inflammatory and demulcent properties which give it a useful role in tracheitis and associated conditions.Due to its relaxing feature it act as expectorant for dry, chronic, hard coughs such as in whooping cough,asthma ,bronchitis & tuberculosis.

Source

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Well I live in Missouri so I don't know. I'm not familiar with the symptoms from the oil and chemicals that were dumbed in the ocean on the gulf. Sounds to me like you just have some bacteria or a virus going around. But you shouldn't rule corporate BS out, I wouldn't doubt if health problems came from that mess. The main stream media may have forgotten about you guys but I haven't. I wish the best for you and everyone down their.

all the best,
Jacob

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I'm in Cape Coral.

A few things I've noticed -

Strange residue in pool, not algae ( I am a freak when it comes to cleaning my pool).
I also had an experience of a strange wax like residue on my screen house, you could literally scape it off with a finger nail.
It reminded me of melted butter or lard.

When I go to the beach and in the ocean I'll get a rash that will last for 2-3 days after, my lips get really swollen almost like a bee string and feel raw and red.
Never had this problem in Jersey, or when I first got here.

The water here has always been horrible when it comes to sulfur(when my sprinklers turn on the entire house fills up with rotten egg smell if a windows open), but recently it has been much worse it's sucking the life out of my skin/hair.
It makes my skin really dry, ashy. and before I put any kind of conditioner and product on my hair to put the life back into it it literally feels like my hair has been turned into straw or plastic, with that same wax like feeling the pool has.
I didn't have this problem when I first moved here. The water softener and salt worked fine.
Don't get me wrong the water here has ALWAYS been horrible I don't even give it to my pets, never thought I'd see the day I give my cats and dog bottle water lol.
But I'm just saying there has been a difference that really could be due to anything so who knows.

I've wanted to go out an explore some of the less traveled areas around here and down in Naples/all the islands maybe rent a boat or something and get out into the marshy areas as they are like a natural sponge and get some samples and get them tested and also look for any dead wildlife/sea life as you'd never see this on the main public beaches, but anyone I mention this thinks I'm nuts and I'm not about to go out there alone.

I'm not a physically "well" person so I tend to attribute any physical illness to my pre-existing issues but I have noticed a strange metal taste in mouth when outside for a long time.

I really don't know how much of an effect it's having on us humans, but I feel there has to be much more going on with the wildlife/sea life that we are not being told.

Anyway, I hope you and your friends and family get well.
edit on 16-4-2011 by pop_science because: spelling and such

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pop_science

Good to meet you pop_science, I am also in the Cape and have the same sulfur smell for about the last two months which I had never had before. I now have a water guy that comes every other week to take care of my softener and change my filters. As well as a pool service more often than before. Dry skin and itchiness is also a problem lately that we've never had to worry about before. I thought the water issue was just at our house so at least by your post I now know i am not the only one with this issue lately. Btw, I live near the German American club where they hold Octoberfest near Chiquita and Pine Island Rd. Are your water issues in the same part of the cape?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Thank you to all the responses I really appreciate your input. I would like to say, I know this will sound very egotistical or braggy, but I have an iron immune system always have (except for the asthma) I hardly catch colds and flus but my main concern is the first to have gotten ill were the elderly and children. My friend's child has been put on a nebulizer just after the Gulf spill.
It may not be the Cleanup or spill causing it, all I know is that all medicines even antibiotics are not clearing it up, so either it is something chemical or it's a drug tolerant flu/virus.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by pop_science

Pop_Science I am also originally from Jersey. LOL...How about that? It's indeed a small world!
I hope that I can take the children to a doctor and get blood tests to end the questions but the Doc would probably look at me like some overprotective nutcase.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by RandalFlagg
A good herb for such ailments is mullein!

It is beneficial to tones the mucous membranes, reducing inflammation and stimulating fluid production, thus facilitating expectoration. Mullein has anti-inflammatory and demulcent properties which give it a useful role in tracheitis and associated conditions.Due to its relaxing feature it act as expectorant for dry, chronic, hard coughs such as in whooping cough,asthma ,bronchitis & tuberculosis.

Source

Yesterday I drank a specialty tea I picked up from the Occult store (all organic herbal Cough & cold tea) it has listed herbs of: Ecchinacea, Mullien, Goldenseal leaf, Hyssop, Elderberry, and Olive leaf. (www.herbalteaherbs.com distributor). I am assuming that the herbs are listed in order of most to least as is normal practice. I also put a tablespoon of honey in it. This did not help. But thanks for your input. Just wanted you to know that I actually have tried the mullien amongst a myriad of other herbals also tried apple cider vinegar which was a temporary help.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Here is some information about health hazards:
www.sciencecorps.org...

People involved in the clean up are most likely to suffer detrimental health effects because of crude oil, but they are not the only people effected by the oil spill.

Crude Oil & Dispersants Combined The combination of a dispersants and crude oil can be more toxic than either alone, since they have many of the same toxic properties. In addition, based on the basic properties of dispersants, they may make it easier for crude oil to enter the body, enter cells, and cause damage, as noted for many dispersant ingredients above...

The systems in the body that are known to be affected by these chemicals include:

respiratory system nervous system, including the brain
liver
reproductive/urogenital system
kidneys
endocrine system
circulatory system
gastrointestinal system
immune system
sensory systems
musculoskeletal system
hematopoietic system (blood forming)
skin and integumentary system
disruption of normal metabolism

www.sciencecorps.org...

Perhaps you might be interested in the work of the marine toxicologist Dr. Riki Ott. Her speciality is oil pollution and the health risks exposure to such pollution pose. Here is a link to her website:
www.rikiott.com...

She supposes, that about 4 to 5 million Gulf area residents will suffer health effects. Here is a video of her describing some of the more drastic health effects:

I can also recommend a radio interview she gave on community currency.
www.progressiveradionetwork.com...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by pop_science
I'm in Cape Coral.

A few things I've noticed -

Strange residue in pool, not algae ( I am a freak when it comes to cleaning my pool).
I also had an experience of a strange wax like residue on my screen house, you could literally scape it off with a finger nail.
It reminded me of melted butter or lard.

Hello pop_science, I am in the Cape too.
This lard/buttery weirdness has been found on my car most noticable because I get into everyday and it is white. I have the same issue with my pool, and the drinking water is horrible.

I moved here 2 years ago from Jersey as well. The water filtration system has been recently switched over to something more updated, but it is worse then before. I have had stomach aches for days now since they changed it over. I have to lean over sometimes because it hurts so bad.

Or maybe it's from the leftover easter chocolate
I dunno

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
What does Corexit mean?
edit on 13-12-2016 by troutmanshinybutt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: troutmanshinybutt

Okay, just tried to read your second post, so nevermind anything I just said. Be well.

edit on 12/13/2016 by angeldoll because: trying to figure out how you got rid of your first post.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: troutmanshinybutt
What does Corexit mean?

Corexit was a dispersant used in the Gulf oil spill. It makes the oil particles have more density so they sink to the bottom of the ocean. It was toxic.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ldyserenity

I live in Tampa Bay as well. I noticed that this weekend many of my coworkers and friends were sniffly.

I just assumed it was the cold front.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: ldyserenity

I live in Tampa Bay as well. I noticed that this weekend many of my coworkers and friends were sniffly.

I just assumed it was the cold front.

Then it probably is. This thread is from 2011.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join