It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's seed bank under threat

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Reply to original Poster,

That is about the most disturbing and alarming news I have heard lately. Yeah, there
is a plethora of that these days(Japan,Economy,etc.) But as someone who has studied Systematic Botany,
Genetics, and understands the true value of such an endeavor achieved by these good scientists, I find it
completely lawless to allow such a detrimental activity to occur.

A legal case should be presented to The Russian government to form a cease and stay of execution until
further study and inquiry can be achieved. It may be possible to create a private fund to purchase this garden
from the current developer. A cease and desist order needs to be implemented immediately.

Who is the developer? What is their profit from destroying such diversity of plants. That should be included
into the focus of the matter presented to the courts. As well as all dignitaries involved in this transaction.
Big Pharma/GM Seed Co. at work again?
This Thread Deserves the Greatest Attention. I will see what I can find out. S&F to you.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

Thank you so much Wildmanimal, I am also very disturbed by this, good luck in finding the information we need, as I am finding out it isn't easy.

Thank you for posting.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

every were i look,some blow is guided at nature, like a war going on against it,or perhaps on us.one thing is for sure.there is a war on at full force going on.and they seem to be winning at it.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Threatened Russian Seed Bank Collection in Legal Limbo
September 19, 2010

www.care2.com...

"It would be a major tragedy if the collection were lost," says one of the world's leading strawberry breeders, Jim Hancock of Michigan State University. Norman Looney, president of the International Society of Horticultural Science, says the station's collection "represents work performed over more than 150 years and has survived both climatic and political catastrophe. It is the largest such collection in Europe and the only one at this far-north latitude."

www.guardian.co.uk...

There doesn't seem to be any updates since September of 2010, the good news is that it is in legal limbo thanks to the international science community. Hopefully this will be resolved in the near future.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I have contacted the International Society for Horticultural Science aka: ISHS for any information they may be able to give me, hopefully I will hear back from them soon with some good news. If anyone wants to contact them there is contact information via email on their web site.

www.ishs.org...

<< 1   >>

join