It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's seed bank under threat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
During the Nazi siege of Leningrad during World War II,
Russian plant scientists literally starved rather than eat
the seeds in the collection.

Now a real estate developer has plans to bulldoze one
of the most important living collections of plant material
on earth -to build condos.

Destroy, destroy, destroy, the facility near the Russian city of St Petersburg houses thousands of varieties of plants, not found anywhere else in the world.

Scientists come here from all over the world to study and get samples of rare plants. This is one of two botanical gardens that exist. It would be impossible to recreate this garden, scientist warn that if destroyed our Global food security would be threatened.

We can only hope that the government will listen and stop these developers from building and destroying this treasure.

Twelve Russian scientists famously chose to starve to death rather than eat the unique collection of seeds and plants they were protecting for humanity during the 900-day siege of Leningrad in the second world war. But the world's first global seed bank now faces destruction once more, to make way for a private housing estate.

www.guardian.co.uk...

edit on 16-4-2011 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
It's not the developer but rather it's the Govt. allowing the developer to do this. If this is of scientific value, why isn't it protected?

If they really wanted to stop him, they would. If it was of value, they would buy the land and protect it.

I think the question is why don't they care?

Maybe those 5,000 bunkers being built in Russia are more important?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Good question, why don't they care, it seems that it's another nail in our coffins. Just wondering if Monsanto is behind this, nothing surprises me any more.

Another conspiracy in the making.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I had no idea, but wow, what a collection! I'd love to wander through that garden!
85 years of growth/diversity, and 90% of the plants are found in no other research collection or seed bank! Some of the plants are older and may hold vital genetic traits! How can this be seen as anything else besides a vital collection of organisms that needs to be not only saved but celebrated!

In what appears Kafkaesque logic, the property developers argue that because the station contains a "priceless collection", no monetary value can be assigned to it and so it is worthless. In another nod to Kafka, the government's federal fund of residential real estate development has argued that the collection was never registered and thus does not officially exist.
"It is a bitter irony that the single most deliberately destructive act against crop diversity could be about to happen in the country that invented the modern seed bank."

Has to be one of the most preposterous things I have ever read!

Surely some other nations can step in and contribute to the preservation of this area! Hopefully some exposure will draw support in keeping this garden alive!
Very Interesting.....

Peace,
spec
edit on 16-4-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
As if there is only two of this garden vaults in the world!

Every country should have one just in case the SHTF.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Escape pods: The Kew Millennium Seed Bank
These strange alien structures are among the seeds and pollen conserved at the Kew Millennium Seed Bank. Seeds from more than 10% of the world's flowering plants – around 30,000 species – have been collected in the decade since the bank was established. Kew is celebrating this milestone with an exhibition Banking on Life (4 April – 13 September), and a book of electron micrographs

www.guardian.co.uk...#/?picture=345592519&index=0

A grain of red campion (Silene dioica) pollen

There is an amazing gallery of 18 seeds and pollen at the link.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

You know, I was never much of a botanist. I seriously do understand the importance of it though. It seems that Russia is not exempt from the threats of the greed driven corporate machine either.

I cannot see them allowing such a thing. I am going to look into it further because this is certainly one to watch as it involves the extinction of important strains of plant life. Star and flag and thank you for the heads up!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Great find and a pretty disturbing one Aquarius1.

It would seem a condo surely could not value this rare collection of plants.

Sure seems like a ploy by internationalists to eliminate one of the few remaining untainted collections of plants that haven't been genetically modified already in their ongoing effort to control the food supply.

Sadly it looks like the Russian government is right on line with the New World Order elite if it's not stepping up to the plate to save this rare and important collection.

Pretty amazing that a cultural botanical treasure that people in a time of great crisis sacrificed to create and maintain could be so easily discarded to make room for another tacky condo.

May it's board always be at war with one another and their pipes always leak, if this goes through.

Star and flag.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap

You know, I was never much of a botanist. I seriously do understand the importance of it though. It seems that Russia is not exempt from the threats of the greed driven corporate machine either.

I grew up eating fresh organic food from our own garden, we grew everything that you can imagine, my Dad saved his seeds and replanted them every year. This is the exact thing the powers that be do not want us to do, they are making laws in some cities in the U.S. that won't allow us to plant our own gardens on our so called private property.

This is scary stuff my friend.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Sure seems like a ploy by internationalists to eliminate one of the few remaining untainted collections of plants that haven't been genetically modified already in their ongoing effort to control the food supply.

Certainly in agreement with that as I mentioned in an earlier post. Hoping that some of these scientists and botanists are doing something about it.

Everyday we are finding out some new horrific thing that is against the people, the controllers are not missing a beat it seems.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Unfortunatly with all the graft and corruption in Russia i can see this happening. Will have to keep watching this story it'll be very sad if it happens. If theres enough of an uproar Putin might step in he kinda likes to show boat a little, and i believe theres an election coming up in Russia soon.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

The fact is that there is graft and corruption in every country these days, hope you are right in that Putin may step in, going to see if I can find a contact for him, that may be difficult but worth a shot.

I do wonder if the Russian people are protesting this.

Thanks for your input lokdog.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I wish there was some well organised and intelligent ATS'ers that help orchestrate a seed gathering/collection effort. the whole monsanto agenda is scaring me, especially since even now I am noticing dramatic decline in produce quality coupled with steep price increases.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
I wish there was some well organised and intelligent ATS'ers that help orchestrate a seed gathering/collection effort. the whole monsanto agenda is scaring me, especially since even now I am noticing dramatic decline in produce quality coupled with steep price increases.

That would be my wish also, you never know what can happen as a result of this thread, ATS is read far and wide and maybe the right people will see it and take action.

BTW wingfan, I am also a Wings fan and Michigan is not dark and dank, it's a beautiful green state.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Monday 16 August 2010 17.03 BST

Russia launches inquiry into Pavlovsk seed bank after Twitter campaignPresident Dmitry Medvedev orders immediate inquiry into potential destruction of world's oldest seed bank.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Haven't found any more information as of yet, glad for the Twitter campaign, as far as I know this is still pending.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Egad, sorry to be such a pessimist but damn. Might as well everyone dig themselves a hole and bury themselves at this point.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon102
Egad, sorry to be such a pessimist but damn. Might as well everyone dig themselves a hole and bury themselves at this point.

Keep the faith anon 102, even if it's all we have right now, maybe I am a cockeyed optimists but it's better then being depressed all the time.

Seems to me there is no where to go but up.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

it's the playoffs now, the more wings fans the merrier

also, this thread is pure gold to me, original strands of crops is VERY important cause it is the one thing that can fend off disease without GM. god, lets hope russia does the right thing here.
edit on 16-4-2011 by wingsfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan

also, this thread is pure gold to me, original strands of crops is VERY important cause it is the one thing that can fend of disease without GM. god, lets hope russia does the right thing here.

Yes it is an important thread, seems that it may turn out alright, least I hope so, still looking for an update. Hard to find information out of Russia.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

You'll probably find the developer is financed by Monsanto....

Nothing would surprise me about that scummy, evil company..

<<   2 >>

join