It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has ATS 'Jumped the Shark'?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I just want to comment on a trend I have seen in recent months:
1.) Newbies with no real content to add.
2.) Older experienced users threatening to leave.
3.) Threads with no real substance or proof.
4.) Sheeple flagging garbage.

I do not use ATS for spiritual enlightenment, proof for aliens/paranormal or to find out all the conspiracy theories in the back of my head are true - I do this myself!
What I use ATS for is personal to me. When I post a thread, good, bad, funny or stupid, like shouting into an open room at thousands of strangers, you tend to get a large diversity of comments. I feel this is a good thing, it is what the basis of this site is about 'deny ignorance' or expand your ideas from different venues and debate.
Well I can only speak for myself but I love ATS and the MODS, whatever trends take over it I will continue to add and watch.

Sad, I think some of you treat stars and flags like points in some ridiculous video game!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Jumping the shark? Haven't thought of "Happy Days" in years. It is a cogent question. I certainly hope not though I get your point. I believe that this is just the calm before the storm and that soon there will be a deluge of powerful political threads, which is my main interest here. The 2012 campaign is already beginning with owebummers shot across the bow in recent days. This should provide us with many good topics.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Please explain when you think it is appropriate to Flag and what is to Star?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I am not going to tell you how to do it, that should be up to you.

But I star and flag something when it provokes a reaction, I read or see something new or I just like what I read or saw!
Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum

I do not use ATS for spiritual enlightenment, proof for aliens/paranormal or to find out all the conspiracy theories in the back of my head are true - I do this myself!
What I use ATS for is personal to me. When I post a thread, good, bad, funny or stupid, like shouting into an open room at thousands of strangers, you tend to get a large diversity of comments. I feel this is a good thing, it is what the basis of this site is about 'deny ignorance' or expand your ideas from different venues and debate.
Well I can only speak for myself but I love ATS and the MODS, whatever trends take over it I will continue to add and watch.

Sad, I think some of you treat stars and flags like points in some ridiculous video game!

Seems like a lot of people like to complain.

1) Newbies are just that...newbies...I still consider myself one...you were as well..as was everyone. Are you telling me that everyone that is on here has, since the beginning, created world class threads!? Not to mention that you have to have so many posts before you can start a thread. I know I responded in some threads just to get my thread license.

2) The older experienced users that threaten to leave, can. I personally will not miss people that can't adapt to change or hear new thoughts and ideas without personally attacking them.

3) Sometimes when there is no substance or proof people but the words "I believe" or "in my opinion" and they are certainly allowed to have beliefs and ideas...but I will give you this one for sure!

4) People flag and star items that interest them. I am sure some items that you flag would seem like garbage to me.

If people don't like it here than leave. I have said it before. Start your own conspiracy website and make it invite only. This is a PUBLIC forum and people are allowed to post their thoughts and ideas.
edit on 16-4-2011 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

That wooshing sound you hear is not you flying superman2012.

It is the sound of the point flying over your head!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Perhaps I did misunderstand you...maybe a more clear execution of your writing is in order then?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

This is the Rant forum, remember?

If people don't like it here than leave. I have said it before. Start your own conspiracy website and make it invite only. This is a PUBLIC forum and people are allowed to post their thoughts and ideas.

Yes, and people are allowed to give there opinions on how things are still. Positive and negative. If you don't like that, then take your own advice and leave.

edit on 16-4-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I'm a relative newb, I joined late last year, and I'll tell you that I'm intimidated when I think about posting threads on here. I've given a couple meager attempts, but some of the more seasoned posters on her truly put me to shame!

I'm currently researching the causes of the first two world wars for a WW3 thread, trying to up my own ante after months of inspiring posts by very smart and dedicated members. It doesn't matter which forum you go to, there's always at least one person posting monster threads with links to sources and embedded videos.

The wide range of topics and beliefs is what I love, but it is also what invites the loonies and the lazy ranters. Just sift through that crap, and you'll continue to find the good stuff. The site is growing and growing (unfortunately due in part to the actions of jared lee loughner) and that only means that more of those dedicated posters will arrive. of course, it opens the door to more drivel, but that's the price of living in a "free" world!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

This is the Rant forum, remember?

Yes, and people are allowed to give there opinions on how things are still. Positive and negative. If you don't like that, then take your own advice.

lol...I could say the same to you as well sir.
See how this could go on forever?

and yes it is the rant section, I just get tired of the same rant over and over...but that is my choice right. I choose to ignore it from here on out. Sorry to step on this Rant!! Everyone is allowed! Take care.
edit on 16-4-2011 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

My 4 year old understands this!

Not my writing, but your reading. . .

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Thanks, honestly i hardly knew what the star and flag was all about i simply Flaged stuff if i am glad they posted it because it is something that intersts me and Star it if they gave a good argument and no some 2 sentence thing.

Isn't one mans Garbage another mans treasure? And your respose to me says you just Star/Flag if it is something you like...if people are Star/Flagging stuff i guess they like it even though you may not?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

But the above poster is correct in what he is saying...you haven't made much of a point to be honest. So what if there are a lot of threads that"trash" to you? To some people that are exciting interesting and open many doors. It is very inpolite to bash"noobies" because of this. I am sorry if I read something wrong.

also, isn't this a conspiracy website? I'm sure many threads on this site are without SOLID evidence where as some are, it is a conspiracy website after all?
There are many conspiracies without solid evidence.

Sheeple?
So it's bad to flag/star a post that someone finds interesting? no comment.

oh and another thing about noobies with no real content to add, I'm probably one of them as I am fairly new to this entire"conspiracy" thing and am still research a lot of topics and this entire thread isn't exactly adding content to the website is it?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

My 4 year old understands this!

Not my writing, but your reading. . .

I understand you need to Rant...even if it has grammatical errors in the line you quoted of yours. Again, I didn't mean to step on your rant...I just get tired of the same thing over and over. I am as guilty as anyone else after reading my own posts on here so I will just end my reading and responding to this horrible thread.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I like these trends! Why do you all 'see' them as something I don't.
Negativity experiment No.2

See No.1 Link

I love this Site!!!

edit on 4/16/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

You baited me!

Glad I looked at this before I commented.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Ok I lied. I came back. I would give you a star and flag but I don't want it to be like some video game.
I would however like to give you the Pancake Award for flip flopping on your own thread!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I've been on ATS since I was 12 years old. That's 10 years ago. Long time, eh? Unlike most websites, over the years ATS has steadily gotten better. Any old members threatening to leave, are only doing so because they aren't getting their way 100% of the time. You have to be willing to compromise on a large site like this.

This year, especially, has been a great one with amazing threads. I honestly see less race baiting and general trolling. The influx of 4chan members has actually made this place better to be. I'm seeing more threads with actual value than ever before.

If you can't see that, you're blind.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I can't stand anyone that has joined in 2011.

They are the cause of all the problems.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Has ATS 'Jumped the Shark'?

I don't think so. The guys at the top know exactly what is going on. Recently ATS exceeded 10,000,000 posts and the rate of increase seems to be increasing... almost out of control.

Information "is what it is". And it wants to be free. Must take that into account. The possibility exists that the ATS leaders don't have the right strategy for the situation and will become overencumbered by the size and scope of what ATS has evolved into...

In technical terms this is referred to as mission creep. Example:
"Well, we are in South Viet Nam anyway, it's not so far to Cambodia... we could accomplish some goals..."

Well OP you have basically started it. How are you going to end it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join