It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Seizes Huge Poker Domains

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
FBI Seizes Huge Poker Domains Fulltiltpoker.com, Absolutepoker.com, Pokerstars.com, UB.com

You can still go on those sites, they havn't seized the servers/databases yet - but they will. If you have money in any of them, you had better get it out. The real question is what business is it of the government's on how and with whom I spend MY money that I earned. This is just another freedom being taken by the government. And lets be honest it isn't just preventing from spending my money as I see fit but they are trying desperately to tell us how to spend our money - How long do you think it will be before they mandate that we buy a GM car of their choice with our money, "In the name of the environment" or something along those lines. Then one day in the not to distant future they will decide that the best way to make sure we spend money wisely is to take our entire salary dispense it as they deem appropriate and then allow us an allowance of what is left to buy things that we value, but only if they are on the approved list.

If you're an online poker player from the U.S., take note: PokerStars, Full Tilt Poker, Absolute Poker and Ultimate Bet are no longer accepting American traffic, leaving only a handful of US poker sites to choose from.

On April 15, 2011, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) seized the four poker sites' domain names: pokerstars.com, fulltiltpoker.com, absolutepoker.com and ub.com. Shortly after the seizure, the online poker sites shut down the tables to players with accounts linked to a United States address. A press release from the Manhattan U.S. Attorney's office has since confirmed many players' worst suspicions: 11 people, including the poker sites' owners and persons linked to the sites' payment processing operations, have been charged with gambling-related crimes.

read more at:

www.internet-poker.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement act, passed in 2006, codifies the illegality of facilitating gambling transactions in the United States. To circumvent the UIGEA, the poker sites hired payment processing 'experts' whose job involved setting up shell corporations; these shell corporations would then obtain accounts at U.S. banks, through which funds from online poker sites could pass undetected.

I felt that is important to add. I remember this bill passing in 2006. I had a friend thats what he did for a living was play online poker. All day. Made good money at it. When the bill passed he had to move.
Although I do agree our government should keep there nose out of it, but this law was passed 5 years ago.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I just feel the government is trying to eliminate the competition....

DC To Launch Online Gambling

www.myfoxdc.com...

and I know some of the sites are not gambling sites, you play for free
edit on 16-4-2011 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoosKept240

The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement act, passed in 2006, codifies the illegality of facilitating gambling transactions in the United States.

Then no one can gamble on the stock market via the internet. Billions have been lost betting there!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

To prevent abuses, the system will likely place limits on betting and will not take credit cards, which is banned by federal law. Instead the site will use a form of electronic payment. Players would also have to register and meet age and other requirements before being allowed to gamble.

According to a report by H2 Gambling Capital, 15 million Americans already gamble online, spending $30 billion last year even though it is illegal. Offshore gambling sites are like the Wild West, where there is no regulation and payouts can sometimes be difficult to collect. Whereas the city can promise players that its site is legal, regulated and can guarantee winnings. Read more: www.myfoxdc.com...

I have an interest in this, cause I am an avid hold 'em player. Although I do play online legally. I have hundreds of thousands of pretend money

I am both sides of the fence with this. On one hand it seems they are knocking out the competition, but on the other side, if there are limits and you still are not running up your credit card debt, it seems a little healthier, for those who have problems with gambling.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I dont play cards, suck at it. BUt have often wodnered about it, being on tv. at nights, channel 4 or 5, its some poker game on tv, soemtimes with celebritys. technically, gambling is illegal, because its not paying taxes..in america, any money made needs to be taxed. of course they cant go after under the table buisneses. thats my thought..the IRS, our government is hurting so bad for tax money, they can only tax us for now, so much, next best thing to go after...gambling without paying taxes*

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Its called a shakedown* kinda like a raid*

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
gambling is illegal, because its not paying taxes..

Millions of construction workers don't pay taxes. It's not the poker, it's the people who wouldn't pay taxes no matter how they earn their money.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I wonder if the FBI would be interested in pursuing the people who wrote a lot of the code used on these sites? Someone I happen to loathe with a vengeance worked on a lot of the security stuff, I'd be more than happy to rat the b*stard out.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
One of my old friends from high school is a major player on Pokerstars. He said yesterday without notification or anything they froze and confiscated all assets . He said he had roughly $75,000 dollars in accounts held by pokerstars and from what he has been told , at this point he shouldn't ever expect to see that money. What a crime....

new topics

top topics

join