It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do things happen for a reason or is it up to random?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I can't help but think that everything is connected in some way therefore I believe that all things happen for a reason. To me, random in and of itself is a concept needing a source. How does random know to be random? Its sometimes hard to think things happen for a reason when we can't understand things like death and suffering.

What do you guys think?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
All in life happens for a reason, and it is up to you..
To act on the given oppurtunities, and decide what road to take.

Sadly at times, i lose sense of feeling for WHY some situations happen.
Good people die, and a black hearted person wins the lottery
Perhaps another member, can share their philosophy.

I do believe all happens for a reason
edit on 16-4-2011 by ShawHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

For every action there is a reaction, so ultimately there are no random happenings.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Im not sure anything is left to chance we just dont understand odds and and the scale is so large its incomprehensible so we label it with words like luck, chance, coincidence etc. we tend to give allot of names for things we dont understand, i dont believe in random all things are triggered or preempted regardless if we see it or not.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I think things mostly happen for a reason but that doesn't mean a certain outcome wasn't an accident...but when everything is all said and done it doesn't even matter.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

I have often had this thought, thank you for bringing it up and letting me give you my opinion and thoughts on this.

Suppose you assume that everything in the universe is composed of particulate matter, that each particle as an element has and has had its own perpetual trajectory since the universe was "created". Now each of these elements will have influence on every other element in varying degrees.

Thus the initial creation moment was the first and last outside influencing factor that would determine the starting path of these elements, after that it is up to the laws of physics to decide how these particles arrange, coagulate into matter, form galaxies solar systems, stars etc, and finally arrange down, fractal style into the lives that we live everyday.

So assuming this is true, and that infinite computing power is freely available, using Finite Element Modelling software on this infinitely powerful computer would allow you to determine the exact course of the universe's future and imply that there is no such thing as freedom of choice, that the path of the universe and hence our lives are all simply the product of the interaction of particles, a product that can be measured.

However, the existence of this machine and the measurements that will need to be made as input, would change the very course it was trying to measure in the first place...

oh boy
I guess life is more complex than I first imagined.

styg

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It is both action/reaction based and random.
You made this post based on observation which in turn made me post a comment.

The universe has bifurcated ever since the big bang occurred. Bifurcation happens every time something observes something else happen. So in the micro scale it is action/reaction, in macro it is random based on events and observation. But there is no way to debate any of this yet!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Randomness creates the world of reason. Anything that is mirrored becomes symmetric, however, even though things appear symmetrical, it does not mean that the underlying forces are specific, rather, the underlying forces of this reality are incredibly chaotic.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

I also think everything has a reason and is connected in some way. Though it is a very hard thing to explain really. So do think too hard about it or you will wind up like me and gone bonkerz! lol It's too hard to debunk when you think of everything that has happened to you or in life, but then again it is hard to prove......

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Everything happens for a reason in accordance with natural law.

There are rules that govern creation.

I am not sure how far in the weeds the question is intended to go.

Peace

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I would have to say that everything would be set to happen for a "reason", until the dawn of conscious thought. The dawn of conscious thought itself being considered something that "had to happen".

So in my opinion from the time the universe began until the first life form in it made its first action based solely on the thinking it's mind conjured, an anomaly was presented that changed the course of the universe forever.

Take for instance us as human beings. I believe we were placed here by the "reason" of the universe, not randomly. Meaning if the big bang happened a million times, here would sit earth. However each of us as individuals now create changes is the universes plan for all the energy and matter in it each time we make a decision. Some would argue that thought's are also happening for a reason, but that to me would imply inteligent design in the structure of our universe. That would also mean this intelligent creator left zero room for error, and therefore existence is but an equation expressed through the universe. I however believe we as conscious beings are variables in said equation; therefore things did happen for a reason, now they happen because we make them so.

Just my thoughts...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Let me propose a question.

If you rolled two dice and both showed sixs. Did that happen for a reason or was it just chance?

Now lets say you needed two sixs to win a couple of thousand dollars at craps. Was it fate? were you meant to win the money? or was it just luck?

There are too many variables to say that everything happens for a reaon. However you can attach meaning to any action you can think of. So its a matter of interpratation.

I do agree that every action has consequences, but for something to be calculating the outcomes of every single action as they happen to ensure certain events take place, is too much of a stretch. I prefer chaos theory.
edit on 16/4/11 by KrypticCriminal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
LIfe has tought me that there is a momentum that will - if you sincerely try hard do to something.... anything sincere with your life while applying the right attitude, it will start pushing you in the right direction. Keep it up a while, and you'll have a tornado pushing you forward faster then your legs can run and mind can cope.

All you miserable people, take that as an advice.

It's the SAME force that has pushed life forward from a chemical soup to a human being for instance. It follows the physical rules of this dimension, but at the same time it pushes invisible buttons, applying a invisible non-physical force to create order from chaos.

You may call it God, - or if you want "the law of attraction". I don't know what it is - but I can see it's shadows... Some patterns.. A faint outline of it. That's all.
edit on 16/4/11 by Pointofview because: (no reason given)

edit on 16/4/11 by Pointofview because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
thats the biggest bs quote i have ever heard in my life and i really hate hearing it.

NOTHING in life happens for a reason. it's random circumstance. there is no god, or force, or karma.
its a natural environment.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Try changing that attitude of yours, and life will change with it. :-)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pointofview
reply to post by yourmaker

Try changing that attitude of yours, and life will change with it. :-)

ohhhh so because I think this way, it's instantly assumed I need to change my life, to what, suit your ideas of what it is? my attitude comes with years of bs thinking like this where it boils and gets to the point where you need to hear the truth no matter what you think about it or me as it's deliverer. take it or leave it, but it's right even if I wish it wasn't.

new topics

top topics

join