It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting happy whenever something's bad is about to happen in another corner of the world?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
It's human nature to be interested in gloom and doom. Like when there is a bad accident and you can't look away even though you know you should. People have always been this way. The people who say their not like this are lying. They just can't admit that they are as human as the rest.

No, we are not lying.
If I know I will not be able to help, there is no money in the world that would make me look even in the general direction of an accident site. I am glad to say that most of my family and friends are the same.
You may not believe it, but that says more about you than about us, and it's your problem, not mine.

OP, the reason that so many people feel a certain "happiness" or at least excitement when some major catastrophe is going on - or when there is talk of impending doom for the planet, for that matter - is basically quite simple. They want something to disrupt their daily lives to such a degree that the usual "laws" and expectations - and bureaucratic burdens - do not apply anymore. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "entertainment", pure and simple; and I agree, totally, with another poster who does not believe it's about pleasure in seeing others suffer. If anything, it is the opposite of that: it is the hope that something will finally throw the world - a place of misery to many (or so they think) - off course, so that a new world, a new way of life, could emerge.

It is an ancient phenomenon, too.
Search for "apocaliptic joy", you'll see. :-)

edit on 16-4-2011 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Well said my sentiments exactly.People need to admit their fastination with the disaster scenario. I hold the MSM responsible for this.They always appeal to the humans desire for the sensational. The least common denominator if you will. We can't help but fall for it, when everyday life is so mundane.
edit on 4/16/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdAstra

Originally posted by lonegurkha
It's human nature to be interested in gloom and doom. Like when there is a bad accident and you can't look away even though you know you should. People have always been this way. The people who say their not like this are lying. They just can't admit that they are as human as the rest.

No, we are not lying.
If I know I will not be able to help, there is no money in the world that would make me look even in the general direction of an accident site. I am glad to say that most of my family and friends are the same.
You may not believe it, but that says more about you than about us, and it's your problem, not mine.

OP, the reason that so many people feel a certain "happiness" or at least excitement when some major catastrophe is going on - or when there is talk of impending doom for the planet, for that matter - is basically quite simple. They want something to disrupt their daily lives to such a degree that the usual "laws" and expectations - and bureaucratic burdens - do not apply anymore. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "entertainment", pure and simple; and I agree, totally, with another poster who does not believe it's about pleasure in seeing others suffer. If anything, it is the opposite of that: it is the hope that something will finally throw the world - a place of misery to many (or so they think) - off course, so that a new world, a new way of life, could emerge.

It is an ancient phenomenon, too.
Search for "apocaliptic joy", you'll see. :-)

edit on 16-4-2011 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

So you don't look, hmmmmm, then how do you know that you can't help that situation?
edit on 4/16/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I don't know how you can NOT wish for the destruction of this species...has anybody looked at our impressive record? War,torture, rape, more torture, more war...how can you think this species has any future?...if you saw a beaver hooking up another beaver to a wooden cross and smashing it's joints with a hammer you'd run into the house, get the rifle out and shoot that thing.but a thing like that wouldn't even enter a beaver's head...just ours...we used to do that not too long ago besides other things: human sacrifice, cannibalism etc. etc. This species had great potential and turned into a serial killer. No sympathy.
edit on 16-4-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Well, I am usually not one to even attempt to stir the pot so to speak, but this statement has be a bit puzzled in a sense. How would you know you would be able to assist if you do not first look? I would think this would be the best way in determining your ability or inability to assist in the situation. So then what you are saying is, if I am to take your statement at face value... you do not look therefore cannot determine whether or not you may be of assistance to someone, perhaps saving a life in the process, and drive on happy in the knowledge that in your self inflated state of mind that at least you did not look....... do I have that about right?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
In modern society, it is considered taboo and it is the darkside of humanity that people do not want to think or talk about, and often punish others for it. To a point it is also hypocritical. Think back to the Romans and those massive "sporting arenas", where people usually died and lots of blood. People have always been interested in destruction, and I do not ever see it changing. Although tamed down in order fit with modern societies laws and views, it is not really any different than what boxing and football are, is it really any different. I feel that it all comes down in part of what makes humans..., humans. I think this part of our human psyche holds a lot of answers to our past and where and what we came from.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I don't think it's so much that people here or other conspiracy sites want bad things to happen to people (mostly anyway), but it's something more attributed to several things. One reason is because it's fascinating, I hate to admit that but it's true and it's part of our nature so denying it serves no purpose. With major natural disasters, especially, we get awed by the power of it and I think that is a defense mechanism... to keep our attention so that we may also learn and think about what to do should ourselves have to face something similar.

Another reason is I think most are just looking for something to either bond us together or a way to start over...something, anything that will rock the status quo.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdAstra

You hit the nail on the head, at least as far as I'm concerned.

The "bureaucratic burdens" are ludicrous, especially in business, and I long for this "new world, new way of life" that may come if the whole sorry system comes crashing down. I detest the system we are living under, and the lies and deception it encourages us to inflict on each other to "make that sale".

So in the case of Japan, I am not at all enjoying the suffering of its people, but I am reminded of the unimportance of the BS we have to pay lip service to, which relieves the mental pressure, and I can also secretly hope that there will be a knock on effect where the financial system crashes and we can, after much chaos, resurrect ourselves and our system to be without money, without conflict and where we will have some kind of respect and decency towards each other.

Of course nearly every crash in history has attracted ruthless gangsters like flies who inflict even worse misery - Bolsheviks in Russia, Reign of Terror after the French Revolution, Nazis after Weimar Republic failed and the Great Crash, Khymer Rouge after end of colonialism, etc.

Makes you wonder who or what is lurking in the shadows for the Mid East when all these dictatorships get overthrown, or for the US if the dollar crashes.

I'm still hopeful for America, though, as this is the country that gave us the Bill of Rights and the principle of liberty and freedom after UK rule crashed. A precedent has been set, and I'm confident that Doom in this era of mass communiction and information sharing could well be the forest fire that clears the way for new growth.
edit on 16-4-2011 by akkad because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-4-2011 by akkad because: formatting

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Wow epic stars and flags for this post my friend, it really turns my stomach this type of nonsense talk, I can't tell you how many people get excited about such things, the loss of human life in my honest opinion is never exciting, coincidentally I was just coming here to post and vent about this very topic. Some members of my own site were proclaiming how awesome and exciting the changes going on are, and frankly I don't agree, I had to add my two cents to the post over on my site and a couple of dollar bills to. They didn't get what I was saying right away but eventually they saw my point. This is not cool or awesome or exciting at all. Take Japan for example, they estimate the loss of life to be at around 18000, now while I don't see death as a bad thing and I know for a fact these people are having a good ol time on the other side, the family members of these loved ones are suffering greatly, so we have 18000 people dead, roughly, and that means we have about, double/triple that many more people suffering the loss of their loved ones. On top of that many many many of these people are homeless and living on a land that is now constantly swaying, add that to the fact that they are being threatened with radiation and you have unimaginable suffering and fear. If that is funny or cool or exciting to anyone then people need some real psychiatric help.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join