It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

``Emergency manager`` has now taken over elected officials...Elections? Doesn't matter anymore

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Very important news. Needs widest dissemination! Let the people at least be aware of what's being done to them.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mizbeach40

Ever since the Electoral College was introduced decades ago...our vote hasn't mattered. How else do you think G.W.Bush "won" Florida 2 1/2 terms ago?

Unless all American's stand together and start a revolution soon........The next Major Depression will come, and the "NEW GOV'T" will then take over!

Um........... Not to point out the obvious... but the electoral college has been around since the beginning of the Republic. Personally I think they should get rid of the college aspect and just make it Electoral points or something automatic like that.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Hows that tea party small government workin out for ya then folks?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
So, what do the people of Michigan plan to do about it? I was in favor of removing unions from public employees, but this is way too far.

Ya, like I was also in favor when they said people couldn't congregate and unite also...but who woulda seen they were actually trying to grab power...

-sigh-

Its the lack of thinking about the actual events that is the issue...I do not blame the state, I blame fully the retarded voters that decided to sling right wing slogans and vote these people in to "piss off a liberal", then become all shocked when they do what they do..aka, destroy the voice of the people in favor of corporatism and slavery.

I can see my anger is going to quickly boil over here...so, will just go have some tea and perhaps read a nice book...being informed means jack when there are 3 slogan carriers ready to destroy your vote.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Hows that tea party small government workin out for ya then folks?

Looks like it's working fine, now this town has one guy to do the work of 20 lmao!!!

It's really not funny, but I got a chuckle out of that

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mizbeach40

Ever since the Electoral College was introduced decades ago...our vote hasn't mattered. How else do you think G.W.Bush "won" Florida 2 1/2 terms ago?

Decades ago? As in as a part of the US Constitution from the very beginning as a fundamental percept balancing states' rights against the federal government. Senators were to be chosen by the states for the same reason, but the 17th amendment changed that to a direct election because it was more "democratic."

Now you have a bunch of "democratically elected" corrupt governments in Michigan who ran the business of government into the ground. They couldn't balance a budget, gave taxpayer money away to the good old boys, gave sweetheart deals to the unions, and were generally as corrupt as it is possible to be. That's what "democracy" bought you, a completely failed and perverted government with officials who lined their pockets and couldn't even tie their own shoes. Stupid people voted and whaddya know, they got a stupid government.

And y'all are angry at an 'emergency manager?' Obviously the citizens were incapable of governing themselves. I think we ought to bulldoze down the rest of Detroit and then start on these so-called cities.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

None of this really matters. People will stand up when they're ready too. Majority rule still trumps all else. Although it does seem like people will be reaching the breaking point sooner and sooner. It's kinda scary where everything is headed... because as much as I hear people expressing a desire for change and revolution, I don't trust people to act in a civil or organized manner about it all.

And any attempt at a civil revolution or civil reform is typically met by the assassination of the figureheads at the forefront of these peaceful movements... then it all seems to quiet down and reset. It happened with Gandhi, it happened with JFK, and it happened with MLK.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

YOU CANNOT REMOVE THEM... even if they screw up even more or openly steal money/are corrupt...

Well Vtichilo, there is a very old way the people have invented, in Europe, to remove monarchs when they become too despotic... I don't think I need to elaborate any further.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Those of you who know little of Benton Harbor need to get off your high horses and do some research. It is an example of Idiocracy in action, a place where the residents appear to be incapable of governing themselves in an effective manner. Like Bell, California and many other places in this broken down, rusting nation, it is a case of fix it now by force or let it fester until it costs everyone a whole lot more to clean up.

Besides, there is no constitutional right to local elected officials. The localities are created by the states, and they can be dissolved by the states. This principle has been upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lilitu
It is interesting to note the demographics in Benton Harbor. 92.4% of the population is black or african American. Things the make you go hmm....

Made me go "Hmmm". There seems to be a racial element to this.

Benton Harbor, Michigan is 92.4% African American

Detroit is 82% African American

Pontiac is 64.50% African American,

Ecorse is 39.55% African American

Can't come up with a good reason why though.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sailormon
I just talked to a friend whom is still in Mi., I am in Fl. for the moment. I asked him how the conservative poor and middle group was taking this at the coffee shop. Oddly, these poor brain dead were the ones being stepped on by this governor, but thought it was ok to lose all their rights as they are loyal republicans. I just said oh, shook my head and decided to sell what I own in n. MI. and get out while I can. Anyone wanting a nice log home in the lake country near Traverse City area?

I'd strongly recommend you move to New Hampshire where legislation sometimes moves in the exact opposite direction as other places in the country. And as a result, the economy is dramatically better.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
At least one elected Benton Harbor official was sanguine about the order. "It doesn't bother me," said City Commissioner Bryan Joseph. "I'm in favor of it."

Sanguine. Really.. ? Sanguine.

My creep-meter just went up a notch when I read that. Just the way it was marked. "Sanguine about the order."

Somehow I now have the feeling this Will be a very bloody state of affairs.
edit on 17-4-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The precedent was set with the bailouts in 2008 and continued in 2009. Institutions aren't being allowed to fail. I don't necessarily agree with state run municipalities, however we can't keep bailing people and places out either. The alternative to these state run cities and schools is giving them an unlimited line of credit, which will only prolong the inevitable and puts more burden on places that haven't backed themselves into a corner and more burden on the state. It's not like every town in the state is being taken over, just the ones that are not economically viable. Let the municipalities fall under the heavy burdens they've taken on through the years, and you would have just as many people complaining about an unresponsive government. At least this way, the communities have a chance to make good on their promises and find a way to remedy their bad situation.

Seeing a comment by an AFL-CIO spokesman in one of the articles should have clued anyone in. They have a definite agenda which does not have taxpayer's interest at heart. Before I get accused of being some anti-union shill, I am a member of a PRIVATE electrical union affiliated with the AFL-CIO. Public unions are destroying our society. Taxpayers should have a reasonable expectation to get the most for their tax dollar.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichiganSwampBuck

It is interesting to note the demographics in Benton Harbor. 92.4% of the population is black or african American. Things the make you go hmm....

Poverty level comes to mind
You typically end up in the same tax bracket your parents were across all the spectrums..so, a person born into a poor family ends up poor themselves.

Blacks were of course slaves for a bit, then second class citizens until recently (historically speaking).
Its why jails are filled up to a massive disproportunate amount with blacks...not because blacks are retarded by nature, but because they are disproportunately poor (poor people tend to do the majority of the crimes...the math thing kicks in eventually)

Is there a racial issue? only in regards to demographics as to which ethnicity is the poor ones.

So...is there a solution anyone would care to consider?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Poverty level comes to mind
You typically end up in the same tax bracket your parents were across all the spectrums..so, a person born into a poor family ends up poor themselves.

Blacks were of course slaves for a bit, then second class citizens until recently (historically speaking).
Its why jails are filled up to a massive disproportunate amount with blacks...not because blacks are retarded by nature, but because they are disproportunately poor (poor people tend to do the majority of the crimes...the math thing kicks in eventually)

Is there a racial issue? only in regards to demographics as to which ethnicity is the poor ones.

So...is there a solution anyone would care to consider?

Poverty is an issue everywhere. Is this a case where the poor are attracted to or concentrated in certain cities? Is there more waste and corruption in a poor city? I remember Detroit under Mayor Coleman Young being pretty corrupt. This latest Detroit mayor was corrupt. Of course high poverty stresses the resources in any community and strains everyone's budget, both public and private. But isn't it a racist tactic to keep the black people poor and in a lower class? Will these communities pull the race card in a defensive response?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Poverty is an issue everywhere. Is this a case where the poor are attracted to or concentrated in certain cities? Is there more waste and corruption in a poor city? I remember Detroit under Mayor Coleman Young being pretty corrupt. This latest Detroit mayor was corrupt. Of course high poverty stresses the resources in any community and strains everyone's budget, both public and private. But isn't it a racist tactic to keep the black people poor and in a lower class? Will these communities pull the race card in a defensive response?

I don't think its a purposeful action if thats what your acting
You can consider all the various social programs that have been trying to give blacks a leg up since the 60s. Thats nice, but the issue is the society is pretty advanced to begin with and in order to properly fish the entire group out from the pits is an enormous undertaking...
and what is the end result your going for anyhow? make the poor more diverse looking?

Its not addressing the problem overall, that of course being poverty.

There is no 2 or 3 sentences here I can write that is the magic bullet on stopping poverty..and I won't curse the government for seeming to not understand what to do here (considering poverty in society is the one historic constant)...

However, if there is also one constant, the poor of society ends up being a very big cancer on society and it must be delt with, or it will fester, grow, and choke the entire society.

I would think a good start would be rent control for anyone making under a certain amount per year, free higher education for that group, and splitting them up for integration may start to equal the playing fields...not a black thing, a poor thing.
As far as the race thing, a change in their cultural identification is needed...todays black youth have rap stars and sports stars to aim for when they think of achievement, where a white youth tends to have a business man, a architect, etc...more reasonable and achievable goals.

Obama becoming president did create a dent in the persona of limitations in the african community...no more excuses for themselves...if you work hard and stay on the path, yes...you can become on top,
But more exposure of a middle class black family is required in pop media to just get past a mindset issue (as 50 cent states, "get rich or die trying"...a destructive goal leading to failure...no, not everyone can get rich...)

But back to poverty (which is actually a different entity from blacks). You got the simple issue of opportunity, a relatively short time as equals, and a mindset issue to work past..thats actually some profound weight on them.

If someone can start a thread on how to eliminate poverty in the west, that would be great...however, there is very little consensus on that overall, but if we should find a method, we would certainly make history as being one of the first civilizations that achieved such a landmark.

Also, there is alot of power by the top to keep the bottom in place. they aren't on top because they are generous...and the top 10% will always use their considerable power to sabotage any attempt at equality...equality to someone on the bottom is great, it moves them up...equality for someone on top is horrible, it pushes them down...
and the age old addage "He with the money makes the rules" is in full effect here.

Is it pulling the race card to acknowledge the demographics of an area? Yes and no...if your trying to say "blacks can't handle money", then sure...its poor that are having money issues (hense being poor).
I think reasoning may be the issue here, but there should never be legislation towards any color...because today the blacks are the ones on the bottom..100 years from now, with the right legislation, blacks may be like the italians (in all areas proportunately) and arabs may be in the bottom, or latins, etc..the issue isn't race, its tax bracket. make laws designed at wage earning and there will be change, make laws designed at race and you just change the faces but have the same problem.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
To SaturnFX,

If we acknowledge only the poverty aspect, then we can only conclude that this must be a class issue. Naturally though, no topic is a "black and white" issue, just shades of gray so to speak.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

To SaturnFX,

If we acknowledge only the poverty aspect, then we can only conclude that this must be a class issue. Naturally though, no topic is a "black and white" issue, just shades of gray so to speak.

It is just a class issue, however, the race in question makes up the majority of the class
the cause of the race = the class is pretty simple and written in any history book...

The problem is when you make laws to help (or hurt) a particular race

address the class, and the race issue will solve itself

focus on getting the poor a leg up, not the blacks, and you have a long term stable solution verses a temporary solution that is race specific (does more harm than good anyhow to seperate the focus and benefits for a specific color of skin..no, they are -not- different than us and need special rules...the only difference in society is class)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join