It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

``Emergency manager`` has now taken over elected officials...Elections? Doesn't matter anymore

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Oh boy.

Emergency manager cuts roles of Benton Harbor officials

In a move believed to be the first under sweeping new state legislation, Emergency Manager Joseph Harris suspended decision-making powers of city officials Friday.

This is it. This is now the FIRST USE of this new law... Elections don't matter anymore in Michigan.

You can bet this is just the beginning.

The action is likely the first since Gov. Rick Snyder signed into law in March a new statute that grants more powers to emergency managers appointed by the Treasury Department to take over distressed schools and communities.

At least one elected Benton Harbor official was sanguine about the order. "It doesn't bother me," said City Commissioner Bryan Joseph. "I'm in favor of it."

I'm in favor of it?

"This is sad news for democracy in Michigan," said Mark Gaffney, president of the Michigan AFL-CIO. "With the stripping of all power of duly elected officials in Benton Harbor … we can now see the true nature of the emergency manager system."

Well duh. Election don't matter anymore. Not that they mattered before much... but still, with appointed officials taking over, YOU CANNOT REMOVE THEM... even if they screw up even more or openly steal money/are corrupt...

And what's one of the powers they have?

The new powers of emergency managers include setting aside collective bargaining.

And guess what... it's not only in Benton Harbor that it is going on, but also in Ecorce and Pontiac.

Emergency managers are in place at Detroit Public Schools and in the cities of Benton Harbor, Ecorse and Pontiac.

OBVIOUS FASCISM HAS NOW ARRIVED.

Update : Thought that Wiconsin was bad with the Koch brothers? Think again.

The Kings of Michigan

Mackinac Donor: Chase Foundation

BLM Member: Sarah McClelland, President, Michigan Region/Chase Bank

Mackinac Donor: Hanover Insurance Group Foundation

BLM Member: Frederick Eppinger, President and CEO, Hanover Insurance Group

Mackinac Donor: Herbert and Grace Dow Foundation

BLM Member: Andrew Liveris, CEO, Dow Chemical

Mackinac Donor: General Motors Foundation

BLM Member: Daniel Akerson, CEO/Chairman of the Board, General Motors

Mackinac Donor: Jay and Betty Van Andel Institute

BLM Member: Steve Van Andel, Amway

Mackinac Donors: Dick and Betsy DeVos Foundation, Richard and Helen DeVos Foundation, Edgar and Elsa Prince Foundation

BLM Member: Doug DeVos, Amway

Those people own Michigan. And most of them or their corporations are members of Bilderberg.

Time to protest in Michigan or call a general citizen strike... otherwise you're screwed.

And remember how Hitler took power... we will just grant ourselves these powers ``till we fixed the crisis``... yeah sure! Just like the ``terrorism laws``... which are still here.

You can NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER trust government, especially when they give themselves powers ``for the duration of the crisis``... history shows they will NEVER give it back.
edit on 16-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Apr 17 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Well, you simply cannot boil a frog by dropping it into hot water - it just jumps right back out again!
To be successful, you place the poor critter in cold water and slowly increase the heat.

Poor peop - erm, I mean frogs...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Michigan is one of the states that fell under the radar while we were all watching Wisconsin. So many power grabs going on. When will the populace get outraged?

Not to sound like one of those conspiracy theorists *cough, cough* but I honestly wonder if it's something in the water. Something keeping us docile... What could it be...?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I hope these peckerheads stay out of Kalamazoo.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
So, what do the people of Michigan plan to do about it? I was in favor of removing unions from public employees, but this is way too far. Will the people bend over and take? Will they lick the hand of their new master? Or will they take back their power? God give them the strength to stand up to tyranny.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by PeasantRebellion
Not to sound like one of those conspiracy theorists *cough, cough* but I honestly wonder if it's something in the water.

There's something in the water alright, it's BLOOD. And the sharks in power are going nuts over it. They are in a frenzy, and now they just don't care anymore, they are attacking full force.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Sickening. I had heard about him enacting that legislation but thought it was more posturing. And from the party that alleges to promote smaller government and less intrusion in our lives. Kinda like Jumbo Shrimp if you ask me.

As someone who tends to be a non violent type but who is also a Taurus the bull, I'm tolerant until provoked. Here is what I'd likely do to the yappy show boating liars:

Thanks for bring this albeit disgusting development to our attention. [Bell clangs]
edit on 16-4-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Ever since the Electoral College was introduced decades ago...our vote hasn't mattered. How else do you think G.W.Bush "won" Florida 2 1/2 terms ago?

Unless all American's stand together and start a revolution soon........The next Major Depression will come, and the "NEW GOV'T" will then take over!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
So, what do the people of Michigan plan to do about it? I was in favor of removing unions from public employees, but this is way too far. Will the people bend over and take? Will they lick the hand of their new master? Or will they take back their power? God give them the strength to stand up to tyranny.

with all due respect to your good intentions, this is why people need to look "down the road" at what the consequences are, when people vote in any law, or vote in people that want to change a law.
motives have to be scrutinized beyond what they are being told by the people that want to change the law "for the benefit of the people"
if elected officials side with big business, or the wealthy, they will do their bidding. if elected officials side with labor, workers have a better chance of keeping what they have.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by mizbeach40

Ever since the Electoral College was introduced decades ago...our vote hasn't mattered. How else do you think G.W.Bush "won" Florida 2 1/2 terms ago?

Totally agree, but LOCAL elections and STATE elections are very important too and now they want to destroy that.

And local elections are harder to fraud. And good people can actually be elected in those posts.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I agree with you in regard to private business. Public unions are a totally different matter. They are the source of major graft and corruption. There should be no unionized government workers.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I just talked to a friend whom is still in Mi., I am in Fl. for the moment. I asked him how the conservative poor and middle group was taking this at the coffee shop. Oddly, these poor brain dead were the ones being stepped on by this governor, but thought it was ok to lose all their rights as they are loyal republicans. I just said oh, shook my head and decided to sell what I own in n. MI. and get out while I can. Anyone wanting a nice log home in the lake country near Traverse City area?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
fdr did the same thing increased his own power for an "emergency crisis" for ww2

i honestly dont know what to make of this but the very nature of a union is fascist itself just saying.
edit on 16-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Welcome to my world I live it every day here in Benton Harbor. Ask me anything you want. The Em (Emergency Manager) is the best thing to happen to this town. The people that were in charge never paid the bills and gave themselves raises on a regulsr basis. Millions in debt and their response was the state needs to help us.

Here's the local paper go back in the local news and get a lesson.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
Welcome to my world I live it every day here in Benton Harbor. Ask me anything you want. The Em (Emergency Manager) is the best thing to happen to this town. The people that were in charge never paid the bills and gave themselves raises on a regulsr basis. Millions in debt and their response was the state needs to help us.

Here's the local paper go back in the local news and get a lesson.
When Hitler first came to power, many thought the exact same way. Benevolent dictators are still dictators.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

I'm troubled by this. To usurpt elected officials DOES smack of abuse of power.
but. . . .
I imagine, given the state that Michigan is in though,that extreme measures had to be taken because that state has looked like a third world country ever since the progressives took over state and local government.

A risky move. I hope it works out for you folks.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
there's nothing new going on the people haven't wanted to participate since Joe showed up. His job is to help them get things under control and they have walked away from their jobs hr hasn't fired amybody
News Story

This is just one of the city managers that they have fired over the years for trying to get spending under control.

The school system is in the same boat

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The unions in collusion with the progressive politicians have been robbing the taxpayer blind for decades - all part of the grand Cloward and Piven strategy to collapse the system by overloading it.

"I have seen for more than 30 years the mismanagement of funds and personnel in the city," Joseph said. "Infighting has been going on for decades." The new powers of emergency managers include setting aside collective bargaining. Harris' order comes before two days of training for prospective emergency managers and turnaround experts is to be held next week. From The Detroit News: detnews.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Don't get too uptight about it was done by a Democratic governor THAT's how bad the city was ran. $80000 a year in bad check charges and they thought nothing of it. Everybody that worked for the city had a cell phone that was pay by the minute and averager $2500 a month. The part time mayor made $170000 a year to govern 11000 people. Thats how bad it was. The water department wasn't billing 40% of the people and the garbage company was overbilling by $10000 a month and nobody in charge seemed to think it was a problem

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
It is interesting to note the demographics in Benton Harbor. 92.4% of the population is black or african American. Things the make you go hmm....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join