It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say hello to the KGB

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Looks like our old buddy Putin could not resists his old way he had to go back
Check this article out. Do you guys think the change he made was a good idea? OR do you think Putin wants to go back to the days of the KGB.

Say hello to the KGB, again: Russian President Vladimir Putin has reversed the decision of his predecessor, Boris Yeltsin, and reunited Russia's security agencies just as was done in the old Soviet Union.

Putin's new decree signed last week authorizing the reform was drafted, as expected with the full input and cooperation of the top commanders of the current Federal Security Service, or FSB.

Still, the reform has stirred up many old fears among Russian liberals and human rights activists. Aren't they being given some rather frightening new powers? analysts Ekaterina Dobrynina and Tamara Shkel asked in the newspaper Rossiiskaya Gazeta July 15.

Many of these fears may be misplaced as the 21st century Russia of Putin is a far cry from the fearsome communist super-state of Vladimir Ilyich Lenin and Josef Stalin in the first half of the 20th century.

Say hello to the KGB

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Maybe its good they are getting it back. I mean the one thing you always could count on with the old Soviet Union is the streets were safe at night. Is that a bad thing?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Sounds similar to the concentration of domestic and foreign intelligence currently taking place in the U.S.A.

Maybe its good they are getting it back. I mean the one thing you always could count on with the old Soviet Union is the streets were safe at night. Is that a bad thing?

It's good when governments spy on their citizens?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Of course its bad to spy on your own people. Im thinking more along the lines of having something the criminals fear. Look at what we have here. For some people jail is a better place. But thats for a whole different discussion.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Hello KGB

Its been predicted by political analysists for some years now that Russia was heading back into the bad old days. Just look at the abuse the new rich have suffered, political corruption, and the cult of personality that so often dominates Russian politics.

Russia will never be any better until the people decide they don't need a strong leader, they need a JUST leader.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Hello KGB

Russia will never be any better until the people decide they don't need a strong leader, they need a JUST leader.

Putin is ex KGB so it is only logical that in these difficult times he would call in some IOU's and fire up the old machine.
As far as the quote is concerned it is also appropriate to my America. We have a megalomaniac in power that wishes to be a dictator and believes he holds his position because it is God's will. He is as psychotic as bin Laden or Saddam and if you do not realize that, you will soon enough

TUT

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I'm sorry if liberating 60 million people and protecting another 40-60 million people from dictatorship is a bad thing I guess in today's world if you do that you are called a "megalomaniac...dictator"

But to get back on topic the reasons that Putting may be doing this is because the struggle with Chechen rebels Russia is currently not having success against them so maybe by going back to the old days Putin thinks he can end this war. Also he just recently fired a high ranking general for not having success against the Chechens

[edit on 27-7-2004 by WestPoint23]

[edit on 27-7-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
You know I actually provided Executive Protection services for Mr. Putin and his staff during their brief visit with NATO and the ******* Naval Command in *****. I should've dropped him on the spot, but didn't, due to the fat paycheck that I was receiving.

Mr. M

new topics

top topics

join