It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme weather is moving tectonic plates, scientists claim

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
What's next, humanity is so bad, CO2 we are exhaling is affecting how the sun, the comets, the pulsars millions of light years away are acting? So we all need to die right now or the universe is screwed?

They would probably try to sell you that sooner than they would admit to something else happening out there.

They love selling fear, but when it comes to cosmic stuff that they can't control, there's no point in us even worrying about it apparently because there's no product they can sell us to fix it.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
My first thought seeing the OP is that I really doubt weather is really what's responsible for any increased tectonic activity.

I don't care how crazy the weather gets, it couldn't even move a single mountain, let alone a range of mountains, and then to say it could move an entire tectonic plate?

Again, perhaps you should read the article. They are talking about weather over tens of millions of years.

from the article:

The scientists put information into a computer that indicated how monsoons had eroded the eastern Himalayas over the last ten million years.

They discovered that enough rocks were worn away from the eastern side of the plate to account for the plate's anti-clockwise movement.

Dr Iaffaldano said: 'The significance of this finding lies in recognising for the first time that long-term climate changes have the potential to act as a force and influence the motion of tectonic plates. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

I'm not even saying I believe their findings, but I think people should at least form opinions based on something more than just the headline and assumptions.
edit on 16-4-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Interesting, it makes sense, everything seems to be confirming the big change that's coming up.
The weather change (--> massive floodings, hurricanes, drought, etc.), increasingly more earthquakes, the financial crisis, armed conflicts all around the world, the moral decay, it all ads up.
Still, the most people are ignoring it because TPTB are doing their job properly.
When all this is over, CNN will be replaced by ATS.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenstorm

increasingly more earthquakes, the financial crisis, armed conflicts all around the world, the moral decay, it all ads up.

increasingly more earthquakes? setting aside the questionable grammar, I have to say I am unaware of any data showing there are more earthquakes now than in the past.

edit on 16-4-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
i think its the other way around to.

the earth is just a big ball spinning in space as everyone knows.

the earths core is fluid and cooling down which means the farther you get away from the center of the earth the temperature cools and that has been happening for billions of years.

hmmm a cooler core means a cooler mantel which leads to a cooler crust that still moves mind you which is what tectonic shifts are and the the earths magnetic fields which is keeping away the cosmic radiation.

hot meets cold which equals weather!!!!!

meh thats what i think anyways.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenstorm

Interesting, it makes sense, everything seems to be confirming the big change that's coming up.
The weather change (--> massive floodings, hurricanes, drought, etc.), increasingly more earthquakes, the financial crisis, armed conflicts all around the world, the moral decay, it all ads up.

It does add up, doesn't it? And systems theory makes the most sense.

When all this is over, CNN will be replaced by ATS.

...Only if our communications systems remain intact.

BTW - Have you seen pred's thread The Dark Ages: Were They Darker Than We Imagined? ...? It's relevant and quite interesting.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1

Extreme weather is moving tectonic plates, scientists claim

Long-term climate change has the potential to spin Earth's tectonic plates, according to a news study from the Australian National University.

i put my money on the outer core as the cu;prit for the accelerated pace of the tectonic plates
of late.

wind, tides. magnetism, heat, all contribute to the 'resonance' of the planet...
ever see objects being moved...by using sound vibrations?

Now in my mind. its a question of; is the outer cores spin or flow rate causing the change in resonance...
or is the change of the planets' resonance causing the core to move at an unnatural rate thus affecting the mantle and crust?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
What's next, humanity is so bad, CO2 we are exhaling is affecting how the sun, the comets, the pulsars millions of light years away are acting?

Your making the same mistake many do...

Global warming is real...
...the fact that it is caused by MAN is false

As to weather and the plate movement, I might hazard a guess that it works the opposite... The Japanese quake moved Japan 8 meters east, the plate under Japan moved 30 meters west and the Earth shifted 4 inches on its axis.

I would imaging such a shift could effect weather

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

because there's no product they can sell us to fix it.

A one way ticket to Zeta Reticuli? I picked up four at a bargain a few weeks ago.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Just to make you aware, the Daily Mail (Daily 'Fail', as it's often called here in the UK) is a well known sensationalist tabloid rag which is often the brunt of other UK newspapers because of it's readiness to over-exaggerate things and misquote their sources. I suppose it's but a mere couple of steps up the ladder from 'beforeitsnews'.
As someone who has grown up with this tabloid and the constant sensationalism it loves to dole out, I simply can't see it as ever being a truly legitimate source of truth without other verifications, although I would stress that's no slant towards yourself, of course.

Whilst the crux of their 'report' may be, in essence, legitimate, they do have a habit of adding their own bits to things to 'juice' them up for their sales.
I may comment further on the topic concerned when and if I've managed to find the original source they used.

for the thread regardless.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
This is a totally amazing and informative addition to my thread on the 9th january www.abovetopsecret.com... a up incoming cataclysmic event on the horizon due to earth observations,I was endorsed and ridiculed by many members and i did state it would be born out in following months,too which I add Japan.I have been studying the implication of gravity flictuations between earth,moon,sun through space as a possible candidate.
Peace gringo star and flag for you !

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by gringoboy

I remember that thread well and what you researched came true! This latest news is already confirming that the weather affects the tectonic plates as well as the sun, moon and space weather in general. Thanks OP for this info.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
Again, perhaps you should read the article. They are talking about weather over tens of millions of years.

No, I saw that, but it's just like piling bull crap on top of bull crap.

Like I said in the post you're responding to, they don't even know what was going on ten million years ago. They guess. And their theories have tons of holes that are conveniently ignored by "professionals." That's how they play the game.
edit on 16-4-2011 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
hey, ya' think if all humans jumped up and down at the same time we could cause an earthquake?
maybe if we all do it whilst farting we can really up the ante?

i've always believed everything influences everything else.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

No, I saw that, but it's just like piling bull crap on top of bull crap.

Like I said in the post you're responding to, they don't even know what was going on ten million years ago. They guess. And their theories have tons of holes that are conveniently ignored by "professionals." That's how they play the game.

Who are 'they'.

You're saying all science is just a guess?

You're woefully incorrect.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Who are 'they'.

Anyone who's talking about what was going on 10's of millions of years ago.

You're saying all science is just a guess?

No, not all of science, just the people saying they know what was going on 10's of millions of years ago.

You're woefully incorrect.

I'd love to see how.

And before you bring up carbon dating or any other methodology, you might want to do some research on it first, because if you think it's infallible then chances are I already know more about it than you.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

I'm just saying you should read the article. Your comments show you are convinced this is an article about 'global warming', but it really isn't if you read beyond the headline.

Go ahead, it'll only take a minute.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

I'm just saying you should read the article. Your comments show you are convinced this is an article about 'global warming', but it really isn't if you read beyond the headline.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

I'd like to see how you determined that considering I haven't even mentioned global warming, and it wasn't on my mind at all when I posted any of this.

I read the article.

I still stand by everything I posted, namely that when they start invoking periods of time 10's of millions of years ago, yes, they are guessing, and no, they don't have empirical evidence of what was really going on 10 million years ago.

Here are some comments posted under the article itself:

The scientist are not at fault, The quoted statements make some sense, apart from the obvious repetition of a paragraph with different meanings,( its a shame that the cut-backs mean that proof readers are no longer available). The artical however becomes non-sensical in the way that 1) like most other reports, the value of 4 metres is givien as the annaul increase in rainfall !!!. A quick search and read of the original scientific paper shows that the current rainfall varies between 1m in the west to 4m in the east of the Himalayan range. 2) the quotes are mistakenly linked, by reporters, to climate change/ global warming over the last couple of centuaries or earthquake predictions and pictures of the recent tragic events in Japan. What effect would rainfall have on the Pacific plate? This another piece of scientific research hijacked and manipulated by the media to sensationalise stories and propogate the fear of climate change

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Imagine the monsoon windspeed needed to move a continent ! Agreed geological forces affect the climate, but the climate spin a continent??? The wind would have to blow constantly in one direction for millions of years . This is just another ploy to get 'climate change' funding. And how long has 'man made climate change' been in existance ? A few tens of years at most. Pull the other one.

Playing Haarp will provide a far more plausible tune.

- The Cambridge Don, Cambridge, Cambs., 16/4/2011 17:09

I happen to agree with the last guy. Either that or something approaching in space with an increasingly significant gravitational field. Those are infinitely more likely to me.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

All I know is that global events seem to be accelerating. This is a "Hollywoodized" presentation, but can we absolutely, and above any reconsideration, refute the questions or speculations it raises?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join