It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme weather is moving tectonic plates, scientists claim

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Extreme weather is moving tectonic plates, scientists claim

www.dailymail.co.uk

People who are ridiculed for saying that earthquakes are a result of global warming could actually be right, scientists claim.
Long-term climate change has the potential to spin Earth's tectonic plates, according to a news study from the Australian National University.
Working with researchers in Germany and France, they have established a link between the motion of the Indian plate over the last ten million years and the intensification of Indian monsoons.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
A lot of us have thought this for a long time, weather causing earthquakes and what not, since solar and lunar effect our weather this could also be linked to earthquakes, if the scientists are right then we could be in for a very rough ride.

I posted a thread ages ago also where russian scientists said basically the same thing, that the weather could be linked to earthquakes..

Interesting times indeed! What does the future hold?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Sink holes are the earths natural drains, here and elsewhere they are filled up with rubbish, but if earth is being shifted below in great amounts, who know what's going to happen?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sounds_of_Silence
Sink holes are the earths natural drains, here and elsewhere they are filled up with rubbish, but if earth is being shifted below in great amounts, who know what's going to happen?

Hmmm, kinda scary, the thought of us all falling in to some kind of abyss lol

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
What's next, humanity is so bad, CO2 we are exhaling is affecting how the sun, the comets, the pulsars millions of light years away are acting? So we all need to die right now or the universe is screwed?

More anti-human propaganda from the MSM.

Ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
What's next, humanity is so bad, CO2 we are exhaling is affecting how the sun, the comets, the pulsars millions of light years away are acting? So we all need to die right now or the universe is screwed?

Ridiculous.

The news items does not say anything about humanity causing this, climate change IS real if you didn't know, but the debate is whether anthropogenic global warming is the cause, which a lot of people debate, the news item does not blame anthropogenic global warming, what we are seing right now is a naturally occouring weather cycle, but we aren't gonna get in to the subject whether its anthropogenic or not because thats been debated far too much on ATS as it is and just causes arguements, better to agree to disagree on that subject and let mother nature do its thing.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I guess warming the planet, or giving it an ice age, is bound to have some effects on the planet's crust, as warming expands, and freezing contracts, things...

And whatever the reason, it has been hotter in the last decade.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Whilst the media may use scare tactics you can't deny that 99% of humans are ignorant of the destruction we are causing to the planet.

Have you not seen the sattelite photos of deserts in the Amazon rainforest? The disappearing fresh water lakes? The hideous clouds of chemicals we pump into the air daily?
I for one am tired of people shrugging off what we do as 'it'll all be fine nature will sort itself out' and similar arguements. Who knows what sort of collosal energy is contained within this planet and what might happen if we don't take care of it as well as ourselves.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I happen to think that it is the other way around... tectonic shifting, is causing the extreme weather. I think they twist it like this on purpose. Question is, what is causing the Earth's skin to shift like it is lately? Just a notion.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Ridiculous.

How is this antihuman?

You seem to come with a ton of baggage... You might find the journey easier if you check that with the bell hop

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Yeah you're right. All the radioactive waste, the clear cutting of forests and rainforests, the contamination of fresh water and the oceans, the mass of chemicals that we pump in our sky etc etc, have no effect on our planet at all. How can you breath underneath all the sand?

Climate change seems to be a natural cycle on Earth, but to deny that humans affect the planet is absurd.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Or it's a comet ELEin the suspected brown dwarf also known as Niburu, Planet X, Wormwood pulling on Earth's crust with it's gravitational field and pole-shift?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I think they're more likely ignoring a common cause.

www.nizkor.org...

# A and B are regularly connected (but no third, common cause is looked for).
# Therefore A is the cause of B

There is still much to be discovered about how our planet works. Who's to say that both tectonic movement and weather are not effects of a similar feature of our planet, such as the internal gyro and magnetosphere who may be of the same mechanism.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

No doubt in my mind. The same forces that influence weather also influence the magnetic field and cause feedback loops and around we go. Lunar, solar, galactic and who knows. Never mind the fact that seismic testing, drilling, excavating, damming and etc have stressed the planet's crust and changed a whole pile of stuff to alter the historical geophysical balance and gawdknows whatelse.

Great find. S&F&

PS. Systems theory.
edit on 16/4/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

This video has an interesting view of earthquakes and celestial bodies.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

...and not to self-promote, but this topic reminded me of an old thread I started here years ago - Ancient Interstellar Collision: May Help Explain Climate Change.

Please - do check it out. I think the two ideas/approaches support one another.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

The whole solar system is undergoing global warming (another ATS thread)
ATS

Lots of opinions, folks!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

You really should read the article before posting. It refers to long-term weather effecting the movement of tectonic plates, and makes no mention of the nonsense you refer to.

'It is known that certain geologic events caused by plate motions - for example the drift of continents, the closure of ocean basins and the building of large mountain belts - have the ability to influence climate patterns over a period of a million years. 'Now we know that the opposite holds as well: long-term climate change, or the natural changes in climate patterns over millions of years, can modify the motion of plates in a feedback mechanism.' Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 16-4-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyinghaggis
reply to post by soficrow

The whole solar system is undergoing global warming ...
Lots of opinions, folks!

Uh huh. And some actual knowledge.

Which is why I posted links to Systems theory and a thread that may identify one factor in a multitude of potentially influential factors: Ancient Interstellar Collision: May Help Explain Climate Change.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
My first thought seeing the OP is that I really doubt weather is really what's responsible for any increased tectonic activity.

I don't care how crazy the weather gets, it couldn't even move a single mountain, let alone a range of mountains, and then to say it could move an entire tectonic plate?

I would sooner believe something in space is exerting more gravity on us and causing disturbances, or even HAARP, than it being the atmospheric weather.

Not to mention... they have no idea what the world even looked like 10 million years ago. The further back in history they go, the more they're just guessing and bluffing and banking it all on how confident they come across as they make this stuff up. There are so many anomalous discoveries that contradict the mainstream theories of Pangaea and etc. that it's not even funny. But for the field of archaeology to continue to exist and draw in money, I guess they have to act like they at least know something for sure.

edit on 16-4-2011 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join