It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.4 earthquake in Queensland, Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I know a 5.4 quake on a world wide scale doesn't rate much, but here in Australia, sitting in the middle of a tectonic plate, is a significant deal. We don't get that level of rumbling on a regular basis.
In 1989 a 5.6 earthquake hit Newcastle, Australia, and caused significant damage and 13 deaths.
Buildings here aren't built to earthquake standards. In Northern Australia, cyclone standards are the norm.
Just posting this as it seems to fit in with other threads about increased tectonic activity in the Pacific basin.
Full article: www.abc.net.au...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Whateva69 posted a thread about this about 3 mins after it happened. She was in it!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I did notice this quake and hope no one has been hurt - if you take a look at the 'Iris Monitor' you will see the world is having a good old rattle right now.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Here's the link for the Iris monitor: www.iris.edu...

Also ATS has an excellent thread 'Latest Quakes' in the Fragile Earth Forum where you should report all quakes so we can see just what is happening and you'll be surprised what you learn there - great thread.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Our state has really been hit hard recently, 75% of the state went under water in the floods then cyclone yasi hit and now an earthquake... whats next, 2012 lol ?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Wow, this is quite large being in Australia. Hopefully this is a freak occurance.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Didnt feel a thing down here on the GC but it's funny I have been wondering about whther QLD gets quakes a LOT since the Japan drama unfolded... a LOT of highrises in my street.... thanks heavens i'm NOT in one of those.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
Our state has really been hit hard recently, 75% of the state went under water in the floods then cyclone yasi hit and now an earthquake... whats next, 2012 lol ?

Queensland has had a bad run.
Now, with a tin foil hat on,
and Qld having put a hold on Gas Fracking (which involves big oil bucks),
If the economy is hammered by diasters from HAARP,
then a boost to the economy would be to allow the fracking to go ahead.
(hmmm... fracking, haarp, disasters, resume fracking, oil dollars)

top topics

join