It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bringing kids in to this world?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Hi ATS,

I have been asking myself this question for many years now, and I'm sure some of you have to.
With all the corruption and threats to human life in this world going on, with all the crime and horror we are exposed to daily that appears to be exponentially increasing. Do you think bringing kids in to this world is a good idea?

Do you think it is a selfish idea? and why?
Do you think it is a wise idea (economically etc)? and why?
Do you think it is your duty as a human being to carry on preserve your DNA in future generations? and why?

Pretend the time was right for you now age wise and personal life wise - what would your answers be. My answers to my own questions will be posted later on but id like to hear from ATS first.
edit on 16-4-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by byteshertz

Definetly not a good idea.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

It's always been like this. The only difference now is that the troubles are broadcast globally so it may appear that they are increasing in frequency when they are not.

I will bring a child into this world because:

A) I want to raise my spawn
B) I want to propagate my genes, and
C) (i) My penis works; (ii) I am fertile; (iii) I won't always be this healthy.

Regarding selfishness, everything you do is selfish to extents.
edit on 16-4-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
It's selfish, Abortion is selfish, for both parties it is selfish. Economically, who cares...money is the root of all evil and if you worry about your financial situation being destroyed by an unwanted birth you should not have let yourself be knocked up in the first place, anyone with that way of thought has no place in life because you're morally and ethically corrupt. If you can not provide sufficiently for your child...let alone yourself you should not be able to have a children, they are not accessories, if you want to kill yourself do so before you have a child not after because that in itself is selfish. If you can't find the time to make a relationship work after you decide to have a child together you shouldn't have had a child in the first place as they are a by-product of a failed relationship.

How many times over could cancer have been cured if people had of kept there child?

edit on 16-4-2011 by Sounds_of_Silence because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

well first of all everyone loves to kcuf, its not gonna stop,especially when u got those who are willfully ingorant,plus its human nature to breed more during times of strife, it ensures chances of survival of the species,its indiscriminate,it doesnt matter who u are,but the thing is is,women will only breed with those who have strong sperm and a secure lifestyle, all bullcrap in the middle aside its just our species self replicating like nanobytes on a floating sphere in the midst of a great vacume,the universe is nothing but atoms,guess what,so is everything else down here

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Sounds_of_Silence

You have to remember:LOVE of money is the root of evil. Money itself is neither good or evil. In fact it's mostly worthless. It's the value we attach to the pieces of paper that give them meaning. There's a big difference. A large collection of green paper will not ensure a healthy happy child.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I don't know anyone who is ever "ready" to have kids. Or had them at the right time. I used to be terrified of kids. Literally scared. Like I would break them if I touched them, or I'd never know when they're hungry because they can't use words. But I met the right person. The thought of having kids isn't quite as scary anymore. I feel like as long as she's around to help me, then I can and should have children. No matter how f'd up the world is. If I continue to educate myself to the best of my ability, and can transfer that knowledge to a fresh young mind, who's to say my kid wouldn't grow up to solve some of these problems?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

As an earlier poster stated, there have always been problems and strife on Earth. That shouldn't prevent someone from having kids. The threats from outside won't hurt the kid if you protect them and prepare.

Do you mean is if selfish to have kids? No, it isn't. Not by a long shot. Having a kid, and actually trying to raise it, is probably one of the most selfless things a person can do.

If you mean it is selfish to not have kids, that would depend on your motavation. If you don't want to have kids because you want to keep all your money to yourself and spend all the time that you have on you, yes, that is selfish.

That all said, as was stated before, everything we do is selfish in some way and/or someone would think that it is selfish.

It would depend on if you think it's important to be able to spend all your money on yourself or not. If you want all your money to go to your interests, yes, having a kid would be bad economically.

Do you think it is your duty as a human being to carry on preserve your DNA in future generations? and why?

No, but that's probably because I'm a theist.

Pretend the time was right for you now age wise and personal life wise

It's never the "right" time to have a kid. There is no way that you can prepare for it really. Having a perfect personal life doesn't guarentee that the kid is going to be raised well or anything. There are some younger parents that have no money that are better parents than older people with tons of cash.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

If you mean it is selfish to not have kids, that would depend on your motivation. If you don't want to have kids because you want to keep all your money to yourself and spend all the time that you have on you, yes, that is selfish.

What youre describing is childless by choice. Notice the choice word? Who are you to say that someones decision is selfish? To me having children is selfish; you want to carry on your dna, theyre are plenty of children out theyre without families i.e. orphans or foster children; using resources known to be in decline etc. So tell again, how is that selfish. And before you ask, yeah I DO have a child and it was my CHOICE to have one, just like its anothers choice not to.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by byteshertz
Do you think bringing kids in to this world is a good idea?

No. Definitely not. I wouldn't do it now, even if I were of breeding age.

I don't really care what someone else does. It's their business. But I think ANYONE who has kids does it for selfish reasons. Not just today, but at any time. They want a baby, they want to have a progeny, someone to carry on the name or take care of them whey they're old. Or they want grandchildren. It's all about what they want. But that's OK. That's why we do most things.

Absolutely not. We have too many people now. The earth and its resources cannot support the people we have now, as wasteful and selfish as we are.

HELL no! That doesn't even make sense to me. I'll be gone. What do I care?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
its not a good idea. If SHTF what would you do? I suggest you survive first and then see.

Watch the movie "The road" and you will understand how hard it would be to have kids in a hopeless wasteland.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by byteshertz
Hi ATS,

I have been asking myself this question for many years now, and I'm sure some of you have to.
With all the corruption and threats to human life in this world going on, with all the crime and horror we are exposed to daily that appears to be exponentially increasing. Do you think bringing kids in to this world is a good idea?

Sure why not?? It's kind of too late for me to take it back, as I have three children. The only thing is I wished I never got them vaccinated, one of my kids has Aspergers and I do blame myself.

Why is having kids selfish??

Why not, if you are ready and can handle children then go for it, and make them, if you are not comfortable then don't do it!

I never looked at it in that way, I had my first child when I was 20, my second when I was 23, and my last when I was 25, and I have never regretted it EVER!! I also got married when I was 19, and I am still married to the same guy, I don't regret that either!

Pretend the time was right for you now age wise and personal life wise - what would your answers be. My answers to my own questions will be posted later on but id like to hear from ATS first.
edit on 16-4-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by _damon
Watch the movie "The road" and you will understand how hard it would be to have kids in a hopeless wasteland.

That was a good movie, but very hard to watch for me. I wouldn't want to have a kid in times like that.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Into this world? Unless you are one of those millions of poor people in third world (most of people with internet are not), then this world is a very nice place to bring kids into, compared to the past or other places.
edit on 16/4/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

This depends on where you are. If you live in one of the blue countries, then having more children is generaly good for the economy, or at least not harmful. Shrinking population is not good, and these countries are mostly wealthy from global viewpoint, able to support kids well:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Ficargul

What youre describing is childless by choice. Notice the choice word? Who are you to say that someones decision is selfish?

I know very what I was describing. It doesn't matter that a person chooses to be childless by choice. If they choose not to have kids because they want to spend their money on themselves, they are being selfish.

To me having children is selfish; you want to carry on your dna, theyre are plenty of children out theyre without families i.e. orphans or foster children;

I was one of those foster children. There are many, many families good out there that want to take care of them. They don't get the chance to adopt them though because the States make it overly difficult because they don't want to lose the kids because they get money from the federal government for each kid in the system.

I did not have kids to "pass on" my DNA. That is the least of my concerns. I chose to have kids to help contribute to the future.

So tell again, how is that selfish.

How what's selfish? People choosing to not have kids so that they can spend money on themselves? It's pretty self evident.

And before you ask, yeah I DO have a child and it was my CHOICE to have one, just like its anothers choice not to.

I wasn't going to ask. But, just because someone chose to do something (i.e., not have kids) doesn't mean that it is not selfish.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Maybe one day I'll change my mind, but right now - NO.
I don't have enough information.
I don't really enjoy life now. I never have been. I don't even know what life is. While waiting for all upcomming stuff and death, I wonder why should I do it to someone else? Because my penis says so? Am I an animal? If some breeding cow could see her fate and fate of her children, would she do it? Actually I'm frightened of that idea. Sometimes I feel like this is hell. If not hell, purgatory. I don't feel at home here.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
at the moment i've decided not to.

i can't stand the thought that my taxes go, on the whole, towards the murder of innocent people...

i don't think it's fair to bring another sold soul into the universe at this juncture

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by _damon
its not a good idea. If SHTF what would you do? I suggest you survive first and then see.

if the end of the world doesn't come, watching the road may kill you from depression

poor man's book of eli

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
It is very sad, indeed, to bring a child into this day and age.

I look at my little girl sometimes, and it hurts; so young and innocent, yet she will have to grow up in such a disgusting and corrupt world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join