It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Battle Rifle for SHTF

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I like to think I am fairly well versed in firearms, but researching battle rifles has completely changed my opinion on that. I've gotten the appropriate handguns and shotguns, but I've honestly been completely ignorant of even bolt-action rifles throughout my life.

I guess the easy answer would be an AK47. They're utilitarian and have very few failures. However, I'd like more opinions on good battle rifles. I've heard on the forums that anything less than a 7.62x51 round will do nothing to proper battle attire, and I don't know if I can support that or refute it.

I've heard you can get a polish ak47 kit, a barrel and a receiver for less than 500 bucks. Seems like a hell of a price.

I know this isn't THAT important, but in terms of form factor, I'd really like to look at bull pups. I'm a big guy and can take the recoil on a lighter gun with a bigger round.

Also, I should mention that legality is very important to me. I can't believe they even still sell fully automatic receivers to just anyone, when you can get arrested for just installing it.

Here's a list of some rifles I've been looking at..
FS2000
AK47
FN FAL
AK74
M1A
FAMAS
Everything Enfield
AR15

Well pretty much everything. And I haven't really budgeted for one yet, so I guess price isn't terribly important as it stands.

In terms of a survival situation, what's your choice?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

virtually indestructible (from what i've heard)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Ak's are a peice of crap!

Go with an M4A1 or a Famas.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

It's not indestructible. It just goes boom every time no matter what you do. The problem I have with most AKs is their accuracy at distance and poor recoil management due to the piston system and overall rifle design from muzzle to buttstock..

Linear rifles(like the AR) manage recoil much better and the direct impingement gas system, while not as efficient as the piston system, is certainly more reliable in my opinion.

I like AR rifles in 7.62x39mm (bigger round on a better design than the AK). But you can't carry as much ammo as you would be able to with the 5.56mm round.

If I were going to be faced with a SHTF scenario I would grab my AR and 2000 rounds and run off into the hills. If I had to engage hostile forces I'd would still be far more mobile than I would be if I had to carry 7.62x39.

Long story short, I would bring the AR rifle. There a is a far better parts availability than any other weapon in the US, better access to ammo, more accurate, and the ammo is lighter.
edit on 16-4-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by rreeves5

Ak's are a peice of crap!

Go with an M4A1 or a Famas.

Lol you don't know much about firearms if you call an AK crap. Sure they aren't the most accurate but, given that 90% of engagements happen 100 yards and under, its accuracy is plenty capable. Sks's are also great weapons.

Deebo

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by BadBoYeed

If I were going to faced with a SHTF scenario I would grab my AR and 2000 rounds and run off into the hills. If I had to engage hostile forces I'd would still be far more mobile than I would be if I had to carry 7.62x39.

Long story short, I would bring the AR rifle. There a is a far better parts availability than any other weapon in the US, better access to ammo, more accurate, and the ammo is lighter.

What do you think of the ACR? Have you ever fired one? I heard they're surprisingly mobile.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

ACR is a decent weapon. I have indeed fire it. I like the trigger reset, the multi-caliber ability, tool-less assembly/disassembly(including barrel/caliber change features) and over all feel of the weapon. Only one problem, it doesn't have the kind of mass market support that AKs or ARs do. Otherwise a very decent weapon.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Not to be picky or a pain.....but if you are well versed in firearms you made a glaring mistake.

You said "battle rifle" in your post, but with the exception of the FN FAL and M1A (m14) you listed all assault rifles.

Battle rifles are larger caliber (usually .308/7.62mmx51 or bigger). The may (or may not) be select fire or fire fin full automatic fire. They are about 10 pounds or more heavy, with 20 or 24 inch barrels to provide enough spin to stabilize the round. They are usually accurate to 800 yards or more. They were predominately common in the 50's 60's and 70's, when they started to give way to assault rifles.

Assault rifles are select firearms using small caliber rounds (usually 5.56mm), Lightweight and often (but not always) with short barrels, they are currently more common then battle rifles. Although the performance of the m4/m16 in the Mid East has caused many armies to look at the larger rounds of battle rifles again.

I like the AR/M16 series, but they are a bit more expensive and complicated then most others. However; in any SHTF situation, AR's and parts and ammo's are pretty much all over the US.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
ar-15 for the shear volume out there

plus the fact available ammo

in terms of replacement parts and magazines and ammo make it my number one choice.

the most important thing when consdering a gun and or firearms is proper care and mantenence

a rifle is usless if it cant fire

second thing to consider is a firearm is just a club without ammo.

remember people your not going to fight a war conserve ammo and use it when you have no other choice.

another thing to consider is proper storage of ammo the weapon is useless if the ammo is corroded.
edit on 16-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
i would chose one of three rifles bolt action mind you one is the model 700
www.remington.com... or yes laugh if you must 1700 meters EKR www.aimsurplus.com... or for the bucks to spend and stay in the game www.impactguns.com... 308, not the 223 any of thees 308 30-06 7.62 x54R are good for MBR shoot and scoot, not for the spray but for one shot one kill, easy tack down clean and light weight to carry if your up to the heavy ones well there is always the M1 garand as seen here www.gunsamerica.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Hard to go wrong picking an AK. I've got 2 and absolutely love them. Just make sure you have plenty of ammo stored if this is your SHTF rifle.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

better do some research that m4-16 has seen its day 200 yard kill shots are done 1000 yards is where there at www.suite101.com... and everyone laughs at me that's ok when i show them this i am the one laughing, from the link

With the advent of consistently better rifles and optics the record for the longest-range sniper shots in history keeps being stretched. Long range rifle-armed snipers have prowled the battlefield since the 19th century. During the US Civil War (1861-1865) Union General Sedgwick was felled by a well-placed confederate sniper at a range that approximated 1,000 meters (historians argue this). At the Battle of Adobe Walls in 1874, frontier buffalo hunter and Army scout Billy Dixon made confirmed hits at no less than 1,400-meters with a 50-caliber black powder Sharps rifle. The Sharps rifle was later made famous in the books of many western authors as well as the movie Quigley Down Under.

Read more at Suite101: Longest Range Sniper Shots www.suite101.com...

and yes i have a 50 90 getting close to the one in 3 shot group at 1000 yards why because i can that is why. and this bloke, i would like to go big horn hunting with him www.fishingbuddy.com... just a short taste from the link

In a stunning display of marksmanship, and the ultra-long-range capability of the .338 Lapua Magnum cartridge, a British sniper killed two Taliban machine-gunners at a confirmed range of 1.54 miles. The distance to the target was GPS-ranged at 8,120 feet or 2,706.6 yards — well over a mile and a half. According to Britain’s Times Online, this successful engagement was the longest ever: “The previous record for a sniper kill is 7,972 feet, set by a Canadian soldier [in Afghanistan] in March 2002.” (Canadian Cpl. Rob Furlong used a McMillan Tac 50 in his 2002 engagement.)
and just what is a tac 50 world.guns.ru... i think it is self talking.

edit on 16-4-2011 by bekod because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-4-2011 by bekod because: text correction

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

actually no.

theres more than just long range shooting when it comes to any survival strategy like i said

with a finite amount of ammo and never knowing when or if you will ever get any more.

the majority of time the wise strategy is to not engage.

i picked the ar-15 because everyone has one everyone has ammo for it and it has been proven field weapon

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Every time there is a discussion about rifles one would use in combat the argument between distance or close quarters ensues.

The fact is, whether you prefer long range or not is irrelevant. Snipers are more often than not support/recon operators. Today's modern snipers operate in teams of two or more and carry close quarter M4s with them or other close quarter weapons. Despite the myth, a sniper cannot see it all. Secondly snipers are often inserted, or carefully pick their positions in order to maximize concealment and to better guarantee a kill shot.

Without knowledge of concealment your long range rifle will betray you, your movements will betray you, your environment, the dust kicking up slightly...There are many variables to consider. It's not just picking off targets at a distance which is far more difficult than it sounds.

I recommend realism when it comes to choosing a weapon. Meaning you need to consider what you are LIKELY to encounter in a combat SHTF scenario. Chances are, the second you enter combat, your Remington 700 will be useless at 200 meters when you have 30 guys heading your way guns a-blazing.
edit on 16-4-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Obviously a 7.62 of some flavor.
Reasons:
Uncounted millions of them around.
Will most likely be the ammo your dead enemies are carrying.
Very portable and reliable.

Forget trying to go auto.
Not worth the jail time, and if you ever need to use it in full auto, it's prolly the last thing you will be doing.

As for "Battle Rifle".
Forget it, unless you have 50 or so like minded people who are willing to watch your back as you lug the bugger around.

In any SHTF scenario, evasion and concealment should be your goal, until all the gangsta rambo's eliminate each other.

Your personal weapons are for those times that you fail.
Or to hunt food.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

The best battle rifle for SHTF?

A place where bullets can't hit you.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Aks are fine..
Great actually. A lot of power.

But I'd rather have an AR. Much more accurate, more comfortable, less recoil.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
The "best" rifle doesn't exist.
What you can shoot accurately and carry comfortably is what's important.
Any of those rifles can serve you well if you're familiar with it (range time)

As others have stated avoiding conflict and remaining hidden are the most important things in a SHTF

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
The "best" rifle doesn't exist.
What you can shoot accurately and carry comfortably is what's important.
Any of those rifles can serve you well if you're familiar with it (range time)

As others have stated avoiding conflict and remaining hidden are the most important things in a SHTF

Great point.. And I think based on what you said, it works out perfectly.

However, it could be years before people are allowed to "settle down" in terms of location.

I don't think hiding out will necessarily be an option if you're from a metropolis.. At least right away.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
If I were you id be more concerned with carrying something with both range and power, but with common rounds that can be found anywhere.......

People keep sayint 7.62 will be everywhere, I dont share that kind of optimism.............

I prefer to carry a .308 round.......its a lot more common, you especially need to think about the demographic that you are bugging out in.........

Myself it will be towards the north, hunters up there usually dont carry rounds like the 7.62 or 223 because its too small for the game........you wont find anything under a 30-06 or 308 round .........

If youre in the south probably 223 round will be better for you.......or anywhere the game is smaller.....hence......smaller rounds ......

That being said , I know where my demographic is and I know what the common hunting calibers are, therefor I adjust my buggout situation to be able to adapt to that...........

This is my rifle.............well not MINE but ........you get the point Ar-10
Mine has the goodies attached
edit on 16-4-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join