It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 200 North Korean defectors land in South Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
200 defectors from North Korea arrived via charter in South Korea. The defectors were being held in an undisclosed Asian country and were flown to South Korea following a decison to repatirate them if SK refused to accept them

news.yahoo.com
SEOUL, (AFP) - Some 200 North Korean refugees airlifted from an unspecified Asian country have arrived at a South Korean military airport aboard a chartered flight, witnesses said.

It was the largest single group of North Korean defectors to arrive in South Korea (news - web sites) for resettlement after fleeing their impoverished homeland, officials and experts said.

The North Koreans arrived at Seongnam military airport south of Seoul on an Asiana Airlines flight from a third country whose identity has not been revealed for security reasons, according to officials here.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Is it surprising that anyone would want to leave the paradise that the Bejing sponsored Kim has created for his people. Its also intersting that note that the article indicates that Bejing will return any defectors to North Korea as the consider them "illegal economic migrants". May as well shoot them on the spot, can you imagine what the NK security forces would do to them? Also, of interest is the aparent Lax border security. It seems that these defectors all cross into China and then go to other countries.

[edit on 27-7-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

df1

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Do you have any numbers for how many US soldiers are crossing the border into canada to avoid being recalled into the military? I have heard many stories, but have no real numbers. As understand it, the canadians are obligated to return those soldiers to the US to be incarcerated, much like china is obligated to return the people you discuss to N. Korea.

What is the difference from your point of view?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
What is the difference from your point of view?

Havent seen them so I can't comment on that. The deserters are breaking the law. Nor are they refugees. Nor are they dissidents in the classical sence. Draft dodgers I can understand as they were forced to join the military even if they did not want to. However, if people are tying to escape to Canada, they were not forced into the military, but rather chose to enlist.

The difference IMHO is that the North Koreans did not volenteer to be starved or brutalized by Kim. They are escaping that political system. The soilders that are going to Canada you might be able to make the case that it is the same. However as I pointed out they voulentered to be in the military. If they were criminals fleeing then I would have no problem with then being repatirated.

new topics

join