It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giving to the Poor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
If a person asks you for a dollar, should you give it to them?

Are you better off taking that same dollar and donating it to charity?

If you had to choose between giving a dollar to an individual versus giving a dollar to a charity, which would you do?

Is your dollar better spent in one way or the other?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I mostly donate to charity. Once in a while I give change to homeless people. Hopefully they do not buy narcotics or liquor with the change.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
i prefer not to give it to charity because i never know if all of it is actually going to the cause or just a percentage...i would rather give to a person thats in need. then at least i would know that it would be used for the reasons why i gave it to the person...no matter what they needed it for at least i would feel better then if it were to charity

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Albastion

I was raised being told to always help those in need. A little kindness goes a long way. It's not always a dollar someone needs. They may just need to have someone to listen to them talk. Maybe an elderly neighbor needs a few things as long as you are at the grocery.

I've thought about this, being raised with this mindset impressed into me. I have made the mistake of thinking someone was my friend, when actually they just stopped by from time to time to get whatever they could. It took me a long time to catch on that some people are just users, that's how they get by, and you're better off not having that albatross slung around your neck.

I've also learned the hard way not to expect to see money returned that was borrowed. Get burned a few times by friends and family and the lesson sticks. If I can afford to, I'll just give what I can and consider it a gift.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
reply to post by Albastion

I was raised being told to always help those in need. A little kindness goes a long way. It's not always a dollar someone needs. They may just need to have someone to listen to them talk. Maybe an elderly neighbor needs a few things as long as you are at the grocery.

This is true. I feel conflicted about giving to an individual rather than a group because it's true, the person could be buying narcotics or drugs. You are correct however... The personal touch is important.

I am posting this here because I feel that some of the brightest minds that I have ever encountered frequent these forums, among the many types I encounter here.

Clearly I am conflicted...

Normally I would be inclined to always give. At the same time, I (like all people) hate being interpersonally manipulated. Sometimes I look at a person and I get a gut feeling, and I trust my gut. It is hard for me to trust individuals these days. Many of them just take an angle and use a hook to try to manipulate you. Sometimes it really is a hard call whether or not to give to an individual. I'm not perfect, and sometimes I make the wrong call.

Obviously I want more feedback, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here. When it comes to giving to people who are asking for money, do you always give, always refuse to give, or is it a case-by-case thing? I'm not talking about people who represent a charity; I'm talking about the average beggar on the street. I want to hear a well-reasoned explanation, and not someone who is just shooting from the hip. Does anyone have a set reason to give or not give? If so, why or why not?

top topics

join