It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspension of Disbelief or Delusional?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I often talk to my best friend about pleadieans, reptilians, lower astral entities, and all that good stuff. the other day she asked me point blank: do you really believe this #?

my response was an honest: no. but as a writer/artist who finds every day life mundane, i like to indulge in suspension of disbelief and pretend, even on a superficial level, that things are much more conspiratorial and interesting than they really are.

so my question to you guys is this: do you really believe in these fringe theories are conspiracies, or do you feel deep down that you're just going along for the ride, so long as it's entertaining and thrills?
edit on 15-4-2011 by tonypazzohome because: my bad

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I don't even bother with the fringe theories. The theories that are convincing and believable, are much more interesting because of that.

I believe I'd fall into Suspension of Disbelief category would be on supernatural topics though. I find an artistic value to these interpretations of the unexplained. But otherwise I'm generally more earthbound.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxsomexpersonxx
I don't even bother with the fringe theories. The theories that are convincing and believable, are much more interesting because of that.

I believe I'd fall into Suspension of Disbelief category would be on supernatural topics though. I find an artistic value to these interpretations of the unexplained. But otherwise I'm generally more earthbound.

thanks for replying. do you ever find yourself reading something though and getting excited while knowing deep down that it's fiction or at least unprovable?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Truth is stranger than fiction. A while back I went to bed and there were 9 plants. When I woke up the next day our solar system was short one planet when NASA reclassified Pluto as KBO. (Kuiper Belt Object.) WTF.

www.universetoday.com...

Imagine the dismay of those living in the era of Copernicus as he postulated on Earth's sphericity.

But seriously, I enjoy considering fantastic things and try to always leave some wiggle room of doubt in case I'm wrong about something which is more often than not. Sorry to focus on the concept of doubt but it seems to be an underlying theme of the thread. A quote I like from the movie "Doubt."

“... We can never know what is in the heart or soul of another human being. We can have our assumptions and theories. Sometimes they can be very solid but we can never know and adults have to learn to live with that. Because doubt is a natural part of the equation of life. It is an asset to realize you should leave some space inside yourself open for further thought conclusions...”

But given the choices offered Suspension of Disbelief or Delusional? I choose none of the above.

Nice thread.
Looking forward to the replies. S&F
edit on 15-4-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by tonypazzohome

Ultimately, no. I can suspend disbelief like I could reading a book, ignoring impracticalities to be able to get the quality of something, but I can't really 'delude' myself like that.

As unfortunate as it is, I'm a Realist. That's just how I work.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

I don't really know what is going on... I merely try to make the best out of what is happening right now.

And, in my opinion, the best way to do this is to avoid other people's BS (belief system).

I try to never speculate beyond the data.
It is best just to say that I do not know.

Because with these types of subjects, most people are all too willing to jump on the "it's not real" bandwagon.

It is a very difficult task in science to prove a negative premise.
In fact it is down right a real SOB because one must validate a premise that makes the negative premise impossible.

This is called the null hypothesis.

I know that most people want to call themselves realists, but so did the majority of the world when the status quo was that the earth was flat, or the center of the universe.

Interesting thread S & F.
edit on 4/15/2011 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

one mans " open mind " is anothers delusional fantasty

new topics

top topics

join