It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-Fabric Spools Bring Bullet-Proof Watches, Paper-Thin Batteries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

E-Fabric Spools Bring Bullet-Proof Watches, Paper-Thin Batteries

www.csmonitor.com

Imagine a yard-wide sheet of plastic coated in thin layers of metal and semiconductor rolling off a spool in a factory. That sheet passes under a printing press like a rolling pin, which imprints millions of transistors, capacitors, diodes, and wires onto it. The sheet then scrolls through an etcher to complete the printing process. The sheet would wind onto another spool as a finished product: perhaps a sheet of solar cells that could be unrolled and cut to size on a roof, or a flexible television display that could unwind like a blind in a living room.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Photo Coutesy of
Tony Avelar/The Christian Science Monitor

Above, John Maltabes; Hewlett-Packard research engineer is reflected in a sample sheet of thin, flexible electronic displays.

"There are devices that we can't even imagine now," says Maltabes.

Umm....is this a good thing?

"You could 'sensor' the world.

I dont think I want a sensored world, how about you?

Bullet proof watches...now that sounds useful!

One gadget being created with US military funds is the so-called Dick Tracy wristwatch: This flexible band, strapped on a soldier's wrist, would provide communication, satellite images, and Google Earth-style maps. "You should be able to shoot a bullet through it and have everything work except for the place where there was a hole," says Maltabes, of the device, under development at Arizona State University's Flexible Display Center.

A light in every hut...a good thing.

Closing in on A Brave New World...

www.csmonitor.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Here we are seeing that which fell from the skies in 1947 crashing to the ground in Roswell New Mexico. Well a part of that which was recovered. Only this is man made, but brought forth by Alien technology none the less...

S&F

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Sony and Samsung have already developed a flexible television screen that uses OLED technology.

OLEDs are solid-state devices composed of thin films of organic molecules that create light with the application of electricity. OLEDs can provide brighter, crisper displays on electronic devices and use less power than conventional light-emitting diodes (LEDs) or liquid crystal displays (LCDs) used today.

Photovoltaic solar film is another advance already in the final stages.

A thin-film solar cell (TFSC), also called a thin-film photovoltaic cell (TFPV), is a solar cell that is made by depositing one or more thin layers (thin film) of photovoltaic material on a substrate. The thickness range of such a layer is wide and varies from a few nanometers to tens of micrometers.

edit on 15-4-2011 by donatellanator because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
i can see the benefit from this

aerospace industry benefits
medical industry benefits.

just think of what aircraft cockpits will look like in the future not to mention cars and autos.

altho i wouldnt want to be wearing that watch if someone shot a bullet through it.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I dont think I want a sensored world, how about you?

You realize it is 'sensor' and not 'censor' right?

This stuff seems great, reminds me of the little screens they had in the Mission to Mars movie (or was is Red Planet?)

Anyway... More Star Trek than it is Brave New World....

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Yes, I realize that.

Sensor as in a smart dust sensor.

Its quite the technology, and still a ways out the way they want to use it.

I am all good with Star Trek....

Not so good on the bionics...if you follow.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Plug me in and strap me to circuited tinfoil, if I can light up like a Christmas tree and send my thoughts around than I am making concessions for a little pre-programming that comes with the equipment.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
What fascinates me about humans and technology is.
It seems whatever we can imagine we eventually create.
Almost like we will our own reality.
Hmmm.... best quit thinking about the end of the world huh?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5StarOracle
Here we are seeing that which fell from the skies in 1947 crashing to the ground in Roswell New Mexico. Well a part of that which was recovered. Only this is man made, but brought forth by Alien technology none the less...

S&F

Your on to something there, indulge us in more of your thoughts.

Can we expound on this?

I am really interested!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

saying what is really on everyone's mind. the technological advances in the last 25 yrs are so ridiculously brilliant. we go from written language to combustible engine. and here we are. methinks a few major technological advancements should be there (but are not) before we get to where we are today. the last 25 yrs are like a freaking vertical line in the chart of technology.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by donatellanator

Thanks , those are a good measure to gauge how quickly we may move
into this next generation.

I seem to remember some "skin" that would allow robots to "feel".

Need to look that one up!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Lawgiver

thats what happens with moores law.

IT capabilities double every 18 months.

meaning, for a $1000 dollars, you will get a computer twice as powerful in less than 2 years, than what you could buy today. processing capabilities expand on an exponential scale. just wait 10 years from now when everything is is 5x times as small and powerful than what we have today.

by these calculations, the ipod you buy in 10 years will be vastly more capable than the computer you are browsing ATS on at this moment.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

by these calculations, the ipod you buy in 10 years will be vastly more capable than the computer you are browsing ATS on at this moment.

This doesn't apply to PC's because they keep making new Windows that take up 10 times the amount of memory.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
i wouldnt want to be wearing that watch if someone shot a bullet through it.

Me either, not unless they had that ready made plug in bionic arm ready
and waiting...and even then....

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Every time I hear this sort of thing it makes my spidey sense tingle. Assuming this stuff isnt taxed to hell, and overpriced from source from the get go, then I would be very interested in getting my hands on some of these ideas. Paper thin batteries seem like a grand idea, and thin flexible photovoltaic cells would be amazing. If an equaly thin and flexible recharging unit could be coupled between those technologies , and applied to a suit comprising of all the tech one needs to carry on them, from cell phones to mp3 players, that would make my day !
I personaly find summer a very tedious and painful afair , I burn like hell, and sweat like a pig the very SECOND the temperature rises above 18 degrees celcius. If I had a techsuit with a bunch of fans in it, and perhaps a small intercooler system, I would be absolutely over the moon! Hell , if I had an outfit that snazzy I might be tempted to go to Italy, Spain, or Greece some time , rather than staying in blighty to hide from the sun!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Lawgiver

Technology is often pushed by The Military, and with the Pentagons budget it's no wonder
the line is near vertical.

Seems you pegged that 25 years -

The military, high-tech manufacturers and academia have made Arizona ground zero for bringing the technology into mainstream use. They are pinpointing key materials and testing manufacturing techniques needed to make the sophisticated screens at the Flexible Display Center.

Colaneri, who has been director of the project for two years, said about $90 million has been spent on the project since the center was launched in 2004 under a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Army, and about $10 million more will be needed for completion.

Projects of this scale generally take at least 25 years to complete, Colaneri said. Even though flexible screens face manufacturing hurdles, because many companies have come together to collaborate, the process has been streamlined

www.azcentral.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

*facepalm* you just had to didnt you?

made me chuckle!

new topics

top topics

join