It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration Unveils Internet ID Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

The National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC) will be a voluntary system designed to protect consumers from online fraud and identity theft -- which hit 8.1 million people last year, at a total cost of $27 billion. The problem: The current system of half-remembered passwords jotted down on post-it notes and based on pets and maiden names simply isn't good enough.

I did a search for this and found this thread about it from a year ago. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Today they unveiled thier plan, and this has big brother written all over it. They say it is voluntary designed to protect againsty id theft, I would not be surprised to see somewhere down the line that if a person is not part of this system and they report that they have had their ID stolen, the govt will step in and say that if you want us to investigate this then you need to sign up for our identity theft prevention. I do not like this at all, it is just going to be one more way for the government to be in every part of your life.

www.foxnews.com...
edit on 15-4-2011 by lcbjr1979 because: add source

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Hey there's no link to a source.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

You right in what you say. All goverments will continue to chip away at privacy and erosion of freedomes on the pretext of achieving something thats in our own best interests. They will use any number of vehicles for carrying this policy.

The funny thing is, is that they never do this in relation to finanical security. Govrments never do anything to protect us from poverty and destitution.

We can all see that in all western countires that the welfare system is being transfrered away from individuals to the corporate sector. Its not like they would have us beleive that the welfare system is being dismantled, because it is still alive and well. its just being moved from one group of recipients to another much more invisable group. The same thing is happening with freedom and privacy. Theortically the laws they pass that invade privacy and erode liberty tehcnially apply to the rich and powerful. Are the Rothschilds going get chippedd like the rest of us.

No doubt there will be some secret software that enable laws for the rest of us not to be applied to the rich and powerful.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

The current system of half-remembered passwords jotted down on post-it notes and based on pets and maiden names simply isn't good enough.

So an all encompassing government program is the solution?

I feel sorry for those who are the victims of ID theft, but this is not the solution. When I make purchases online I use a prepaid credit card for them. It costs me about $6 in fees to add whatever dollar figure I need for the purchase.

If someone steals that number so be it, there is nothing for them to do with it as the balence is spent within an hour of being added.

$6 = total peace of mind

Even before becoming an IT person, my passwords were already secure...it's not hard to do.

Use symbols and numbers either as substitions (5 = S, * = O) or as random characters. As an added step, misspell the word as well. If there is enough room, use a sentence or phrase and incorporate the mentioned steps into it. Additionally, choose something that not everyone knows about...one of my least secure passwords on an unimportant site is based upon a book I read in my teens that I no longer own a copy of.

Yet another unneeded solution to something that common sense alone should be enough for.

edit on 15-4-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dug88

Sorry I totally thought I put it in. I will put here and edit my thread.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The best defense against fraud and identity theft are common sense.
Be aware of the dangers and prevent yourself from being taken advantage of.
This measure simply isn't necessary.

Government: Keep your hands off my internet, please!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
You can read the June 25, 2010 pdf draft of "National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace - Creating Options for Enhanced Online Security and Privacy"

DHS Draft

or the April 2011 Final Version

edit on 15-4-2011 by survivalstation because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979

The National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC) will be a voluntary system designed to protect consumers from online fraud and identity theft -- which hit 8.1 million people last year, at a total cost of $27 billion. The problem: The current system of half-remembered passwords jotted down on post-it notes and based on pets and maiden names simply isn't good enough.

I did a search for this and found this thread about it from a year ago. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Today they unveiled thier plan, and this has big brother written all over it. They say it is voluntary designed to protect againsty id theft, I would not be surprised to see somewhere down the line that if a person is not part of this system and they report that they have had their ID stolen, the govt will step in and say that if you want us to investigate this then you need to sign up for our identity theft prevention. I do not like this at all, it is just going to be one more way for the government to be in every part of your life.

www.foxnews.com...
edit on 15-4-2011 by lcbjr1979 because: add source

How is something that is completely voluntary be Big Brother when Big Brother is for involuntary and compulsory?
edit on 15-4-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Its my opinion that the government will flood the media with statistics and fear about identity theft and people will be so worried about their financial safety that they will voulantarily sign up. By fear mongering is how they govt. will get people to voulenteer.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Internet ID theft is a joke.

99% is the fault of the person running the computer.

Over 1.8 million are infected with bot net viruses these are 1.8 million stupid people.

None of my personal information is on my computer.
I have a flash-drive with a Linux OS (Linux on a stick)that i use when doing online business.
This is the only time its plugged in.
It is also encrypted and has a good anti virus program, anti malware program, and a anti key-logger.

You would not believe the number of other peoples computers i have worked on that were not protected at all.

I have bought used computers at thrift stores that still had all the persons that donated it personal info still on them.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Ive always wondered if internet fraud is REALLY as big as the media would have us believe.

I have been online since 1993, worked as a webmaster for 12 years ...for 10 of those i used only ONE password for ALL my logins (i now use 3),
I keep details of my cards and accounts online, I use internet banking at 3 banks ...
I have multiple servers with the same data and all the same password...

yet I have never been hit ONCE.

Now i know WHY the media says fraud is so bad...its a ploy- they want us to hand over the keys.

new topics

top topics

join