It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FAKE Comet Elenin picture! Help deny ignorance

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Thanks for the info, I was also wondering the same thing about the first photo.

Originally posted by Sky watcher

Every 3600 years from Dec 2012 earth has suffered almost extinction level events.

I'm sorry but that statement makes absolutely no sense, unless of course, you are from the future.

edit on 16/4/11 by SiglenDyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Cheers guys

I just want the info to get to as many as possible.

reply to post by Sky watcher

This link? www.coasttocoastam.com...

Since when was Marshall Masters an expert at anything?

edit on 16-4-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The only thing that bothers me about it, is how NASA annouced and named it, after it's supposed discoverer Leonid Elenin, and the decoded meaning of that name. Very unusual coincidence if you ask me.

Leonid Ele-Nin.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Rubbish.
NASA did not announce it or name it at all.
All new discoveries use a system to assign numerical designations to newly discovered comets, and the name comes from the actual person who discovered it who in this case was Leonid Elenin who was the first person to announce it strangely enough..

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

So a guy with the first name of a meteor shower, and a last name containing ELE and Nin (Sumerian sky goddess), he's the one who finds it by synchronistic coincidence. It's entirely possible, just unusual that's all.

Either way I'll still pray that it get as far away as possible and bypass the Earth without incident, and yes, prayers can make a difference.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I don't see what your point is, a bunch of random unrelated things add up to a coincidence how?
Either way lets just call it one.
It's fairly simple.

Of course, feel free to pray if you think it will help.
edit on 16-4-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Greetings pazcat:

Good catch.

We, too, had noticed the color photograph appearing to be a "different" diffused "blob" from the original diffused "blob" released at the time of "discovery" - but just let it go as the pics were just so much junk/disinfo at the moment and the photos didn't show the trailing moons and debris (oops-that's another thread).

Please allow us to add relevant information to this, your very fine thread. We only got as far as the first link you provided to take issue with the information presented as "fact" in the Discovery News article.

This from Discovery News 22 March 2011.

Cometgate
A dizzying collection of doomsday predictions have been linked to comet Elenin. The hysteria was inevitable as anxiety grows over the approach of 2012 -- that is supposedly a [color=limegreen]game-changing year for life on Earth. At least according to some interpretations of the ancient Mayan calendar.

[color=limegreen]If you believe the gobbledygook on numerous websites and YouTube videos, this is a "renegade comet" that just couldn't wait for 2012 to mess with the Earth.

Though it's now over twice as far away from Earth than the sun is, comet Elenin has already been blamed for [color=limegreen]triggering earthquakes and [color=limegreen]shifting Earth's rotation axis. The comet has also been accused of [color=limegreen]melting ice on Mars and stirring up a [color=limegreen]storm on Saturn. It's predicted to [color=limegreen]flip Earth's magnetic field.

We, for one, would like to see the individual sources and links to back up those statements.

It just gets better.

And that's just the beginning. [color=limegreen]There are numerous "Cometgate" [color=limegreen] allegations of news media and government cover-up, and the existence of hidden comet shelters for U.S. officials.

Somehow, this of which he speaks sounds vaguely familiar...how about this? "Cometgate...!!! Elinin+2005 YU55+Nibiru = A Major Concern for Humankind: Triple Threat From Space." posted 27-2 2011 here on ATS. We do believe that we were first to coin and use the term, "Cometgate" almost a month before this article appeared in Discovery News.

COMETGATE

It continually appears that many writers from various diverse media participate at some level on ATS, and "borrow" stuff without due credit. Cases in point: Phage with his fine thread, Dodging a Solar Bullet and Hoaxkiller1 on the Jerusalem/Dome UFO Hoax both of which had content used in a foreign publication without links or credit. There are probably more that simply are not noticed. And "Cometgate" is a good point, also.

From Cometgate...

...Nowadays, wherever one goes, there is a general uneasyness and hushed talk of the great government conspiracy of all government conspiracies unfolding. Could it be even remotely true that the "Trinity of Doom" has been in plain sight all this time? It has become the water-cooler conversation du jour and people are beginning to connect the dots after getting their attention focused by the skyrocketing costs of everything - especially food.

Nothing focuses the attention more quickly than the unbearable thought of not being able to provide for your family. When it becomes obvious that no matter how hard you work, the man always figures out a way to screw you out of more, it becomes a societal problem. IMHO, the economic crisis is but a cruel subterfuge and damn it, how much more shattered crystal do we have to put up with? Another interesting movie, State of Siege. Just saying.

What with shows like Jesse Ventura's Conspiracy Theory, it is easier for people to [color=limegreen]question authority and come to the realization that world governments are not only aware of [color=limegreen]impending life changing (or ending) events, similarly to the alien disclosure topic, but want to [color=limegreen]prevent world panic while also preparing earth-fleeing arks and, in some other cases, [color=limegreen]massive underground bunkers for more of the chosen few that were left out of the initial "lottery" and therefore unable to leave the planet.

The timing of the MESSENGER spacecraft's deceleration in orbit around Mercury last week is also suspect because our innermost planet supposedly "aligns" with the comet's position this month.

Another interesting item may be this.

The first graphic is from the same story in Discovery News 22 March 2011. Note the distances from the Sun and Earth.

Now, this is the information from JPL's Small Body Database Browser today, 16 April 2011.

A question might be: Why is there over a million kilometer discrepancy in a period of three weeks?

0.234 vs. 0.242 = a difference of 0.008 AU = 1,196,783 km = 743,646 miles = 3.11 LD.

Yes, it could possibly be due to the fact that the information in the JPL Small Body Database Browser was updated 15 April 2011 (just yesterday).

OK, so that would indicate that the previous projections that everyone was hanging their hat on and basing all sorts of "miss" scenarios was based on incorrect NASA data which was off by a mere three-quarters (3/4) of a million miles... that's 3.11 LD (Lunar Distance).

Will these figures change as the object draws nearer?

Will the presence of additional incoming "visitors" in September-October-November be made public in the next 60 days?

Does anyone have the previous solution date and the relevant distances from C/2010 X1? We just want to check if this is where the article's data came from.

This is the same NASA that guarantees that an object that they are presently tracking will pass between the Earth and Moon at a miss-Earth distance of about 18,000 miles - inside the orbits of many of the 13,000+ satellites (that we know of) and whiz off into space with no damage whatsoever to Earth ... somehow, one might question this smug attitude, based upon previous performance.

Asteroid Apophis will get to within 0.1 AU of Earth in January of the year 2013. In late 2012 and early 2013, Apophis will be observable using both optical and radar equipment. That will be a very exciting time for astronomers, and for the rest of us! Apophis is expected to be visible to the eye alone in the night skies of Europe, Africa, and western Asia, a first for an asteroid in recorded history (as far as we know).

Yeomans said: "In fact it will get beneath the geosynchronous satellites (which are 22,000 miles up), the same satellites that are probably used to beam your radio signals to your listeners. So that's kind of exciting. But it won't hit the Earth."

This is the same NASA that announced that the 3rd closest near-miss in recorded history - 2009 VA - 6 November 2009 - which was discovered a mere 15 hours before potential impact!

Let's look at this event just for grins.

This asteroid was about 23 feet (7 meters) in diameter, with a 6 kiloton of TNT equivalent, and missed the Earth by about 8,700 miles (14,000) kilometers.

Interesting. According to NASA, their tracking devices "are able to track anything as small as a golf ball" and are doing so with the "space junk."

So, how did they miss an object 23 feet (7 meters) in diameter?

This is a question that deserves attention, IMHO. Both cannot be true - unless this is another example of Newspeak and we're to "move along - nothing to see here..."

What if it had hit Earth?

Here is "What if?" for this small asteroid hitting Sedimentary Rock at a distance of 10 miles distance from point of impact. Earth Impacts Effects Program link here.

Earth Impact Effects Program
Please note: the results below are estimates based on current (limited) understanding of the impact process and come with large uncertainties; they should be used with caution, particularly in the case of peculiar input parameters. All values are given to three significant figures but this does not reflect the precision of the estimate. For more information about the uncertainty associated with our calculations and a full discussion of this program, please refer to this article.

Your Inputs:
Distance from Impact: 16.10 km ( = 10.00 miles )
Projectile diameter: 7.01 meters ( = 23.00 feet )
Projectile Density: 3000 kg/m3
Impact Velocity: 10.30 km per second ( = 6.40 miles per second )
Impact Angle: 27 degrees
Target Density: 2500 kg/m3
Target Type: Sedimentary Rock

Energy:
Energy before atmospheric entry: 2.87 x 1013 Joules = 0.69 x 10-2 MegaTons TNT
The average interval between impacts of this size somewhere on Earth is 3.7 years

Major Global Changes:
The Earth is not strongly disturbed by the impact and loses negligible mass.
The impact does not make a noticeable change in the tilt of Earth's axis (< 5 hundreths of a degree).
The impact does not shift the Earth's orbit noticeably.

Atmospheric Entry:
The projectile begins to breakup at an altitude of 46000 meters = 151000 ft
The projectile bursts into a cloud of fragments at an altitude of 35300 meters = 116000 ft
The residual velocity of the projectile fragments after the burst is 8.25 km/s = 5.12 miles/s
The energy of the airburst is 1.03 x 1013 Joules = 0.25 x 10-2 MegaTons.
No crater is formed, although large fragments may strike the surface.

Air Blast:
The air blast will arrive approximately 1.96 minutes after impact.
Peak Overpressure: 1.02 Pa = 0 bars = 0.000144 psi
Max wind velocity: 0.0024 m/s = 0.00536 mph
Sound Intensity: 0 dB (Barely Audible)

What is the air blast?
The energy due to the impact causes a distortion in the air. This distortion travels in the form of a wave. If the energy of the impact is very high, the wave may initially be a shock wave, travelling at a velocity greater than the speed of sound in air. The wave eventually decays into a sound wave travelling at 300 m/s (671 mph).

Peak overpressure is a measure of how much the pressure in the blast wave exceeds the atmospheric pressure of 10 5 Pa (1 bar). The air blast caused by the impact can cause a great deal of damage.

The damage due to the air blast may include the following:

Multistory wall-bearing buildings will collapse.

Multistory wall-bearing buildings will experience severe cracking and interior partitions will be blown down.

Wood frame buildings will almost completely collapse.

Interior partitions of wood frame buildings will be blown down. Roof will be severely damaged.

Multistory steel-framed office-type buildings will suffer extreme frame distortion, incipient collapse.

Highway truss bridges will collapse.

Highway truss bridges will suffer substantial distortion of bracing.

Highway girder bridges will collapse.

Cars and trucks will be largely displaced and grossly distorted and will require rebuilding before use.

Cars and trucks will be overturned and displaced, requiring major repairs.

Glass windows will shatter.

About 30 percent of trees blown down; remainder have some branches and leaves blown off.

Up to 90 percent of trees blown down; remainder stripped of branches and leaves.

Of course, this is the same NASA that reports "near miss" asteroids to Earth three days after the asteroid passes by the Earth.

This is the same NASA that has up-to-date orbit diagrams for asteroids that impacted Earth months ago - and, theoretically, would not have current orbit data.

This is the same NASA that has different names for the same object - with different orbit diagrams and specifically pinpointing them at different places in the sky.

This is the same NASA that doctors photos and, well, ... you get the point.

(Step up here, Dave Morrison or Donald Yeomans - defend your "honor!" How about an old-fashioned one-on-one?)

In Peace & Light
tfw

edit on 16/4/2011 by thorfourwinds because: color tag?

edit on 16/4/2011 by thorfourwinds because: again

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Thumbs up for showing evidence that the picture is fake in regard to the context it's been used. On this point I agree with your post and concerns at outing the truth on the matter.

The reality is that Comet 81P/Wild was bright due to it's massive coma diameter (greater than that of the sun) it's closest pass to the earth most recently was only 1.619AU on Nov 8, 2007.

C/2010 X1/Elenin, on the other hand, passes between the Earth and the Sun (important to note for the coma which is yet undetermined) on Sep 26, 2011 at 0.396AU.

The closest pass (with data as of today) is 0.233AU on Oct 16, 2011, but the comet tail would be pointing away from earth on that date.

Therefore I think it's safe to say that the images of Elenin as Sep approaches are going to be significantly more spectacular than that of Wild - showing an image for comparison is entirely fair imo (as long as the reference is cited ofc).
edit on 16-4-2011 by digitalf because: update for closest data

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Rubbish.
NASA did not announce it or name it at all.
All new discoveries use a system to assign numerical designations to newly discovered comets, and the name comes from the actual person who discovered it who in this case was Leonid Elenin who was the first person to announce it strangely enough..

Greetings:

We have posed this question before - and, so far, it has gone unanswered.

Does any other photograph of this person exist?

Even on Google, this is it. Does this seem odd? No college photo - not even one?

In Peace & Light
tfw

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by digitalf
Therefore I think it's safe to say that the images of Elenin as Sep approaches are going to be significantly more spectacular than that of Wild - showing an image for comparison is entirely fair imo (as long as the reference is cited ofc).
edit on 16-4-2011 by digitalf because: update for closest data

Thanks for your post, some good information in it.

And I agree with you, as Elenin gets closer the images should become more commonly identifiable as a comet.
It's still early days but when it is in range for me I will have a crack at imaging it also if I can find it. However according to the British Astronomical Association & Society for Popular Astronomy Comet Section it will not be observable in the UK(I'm not in the UK but close enough) from late May until October.
www.ast.cam.ac.uk...

And yes, I believe showing an image as comparison is perfectly acceptable like Steve Farmer did, but it's the manipulation and deception of the photo afterwards that should not be tolerated. I wouldn't be too pleased about it if my images were being basically stolen and used in that way.

That brings up a good point actually, I wonder if any type of legal action could be initiated if sites don't remove the picture.

reply to post by thorfourwinds

Thankyou for your reply too.

I'm glad to see you managed to get the best part of one paragraph on the subject matter at hand in this thread on topic.
The rest as interesting as it is, is off topic. And given the effort you have gone to maybe the answers you are looking for are best addressed in another more suitable thread.

Originally posted by thorfourwinds

Greetings:

We have posed this question before - and, so far, it has gone unanswered.

Does any other photograph of this person exist?

Even on Google, this is it. Does this seem odd? No college photo - not even one?

In Peace & Light
tfw

Heres another picture for you lot then.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I'm sure you can find plenty of info regarding this person prior to the comets discovery if you look hard enough.
Maybe if your Russian is up to scratch you can seek him out here were he has posted before.
www.astronomy.ru...
Oh, and please try to keep to the topic at hand. The falsified picture and those who are using it.

edit on 16-4-2011 by pazcat because: spolling

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I say just let the Doomsdayers keep posting all their crackpot theories about the comet...

Just relax and let them tell you "what is going to happen", and wait till November....lol

Once nothing happens, they will be embarrassed enough to maybe never come back here to post again..

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

reply to post by pazcat

www.coasttocoastam.com...

Even in this show. The experts can not find Elelin but they did find a massive Brown Dwarf Star about to enter into our area and he proves how it is a normal part of our Solar system on a 3600 year orbit. The orbit is from bottom to top rather than all side by side like the other planets.

He also gives props to all the people on Youtube for doing great research and warning the public.

Every 3600 years from Dec 2012 earth has suffered almost extinction level events.

I have also heard that the elite in the know are bugging out to their shelters to ride it out.

Wake up people!!! Get right with God and get to the mountains if you can.

Elelin does not exist period!!!!!

Leonid Elelin, Give me a fu***** break. They think we are all stupid.

Someone still believes in Nibiru? There is no brown dwarf in our solar system, there is zero proof, it would have really awkward orbit, it cannot hide behind Sun, otherwise it would mean its living or spacecraft.
Maybe you should wake up.

Comet Elenin is just brightest comet of 2011, might even get brighter than Hale-Bopp in 1997, but small change for that. Just enjoy the show
edit on 17-4-2011 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by phoenix_zephyr
reply to post by pazcat

Nice work
I'd seen some pictures of Comet Elenin but hadn't see the fake one, good hunting.

The experts can not find Elelin but they did find a massive Brown Dwarf Star about to enter into our area

Source/link?

- Phoenix
edit on 16/4/2011 by phoenix_zephyr because: To add+spelling+format ¬.¬ Curse you today brain, curse you!

i'll second that. I'm really sick of all the brown dwarf talk

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
That brings up a good point actually, I wonder if any type of legal action could be initiated if sites don't remove the picture.

Thankyou for your reply too.
I'm glad to see you managed to get the best part of one paragraph on the subject matter at hand in this thread on topic.
Heres another picture for you lot then.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I'm sure you can find plenty of info regarding this person prior to the comets discovery if you look hard enough.
Maybe if your Russian is up to scratch you can seek him out here were he has posted before.
www.astronomy.ru...
Oh, and please try to keep to the topic at hand. The falsified picture and those who are using it.

edit on 16-4-2011 by pazcat because: spolling

Greetings:

No harm and no foul intended.

We thought that by agreeing with your premise, we had laid that matter to bed and were attempting to add to the mix by including seemingly disparate items for consideration. You suggest legal action - just how would you go about it?

Are you representing the Comet Elenin? Leonid Elenin? A Class Action?

To what end? Forcing the media to use the correct fuzzy diffused photo? What does that actually do?

Bear in mind, we are agreeing with you and figure that is it merely laziness on the part of the editors, not an intended disinfo campaign. It is probably just easier to copy another's article - and photo - than doing the required legwork. It's not like this is front page, above-the-fold news - yet.

You are right. There are two photos - and only two. And I had seen that one you provided the link to and apparently overlooked it. There are two!

Really?

We're pretty sure that you can't, and we have been looking. If you have any hard evidence to back up your statement, please bring it. The very reason we brought up the photo issue ties in with your OP - a faked photo of an object who's discoverer has been called to question of his very existence... and his two (only) photos. Has he been interviewed since the discovery? Do you have this valuable information?

We are of the opinion that the investigation may lead to many different rabbit holes, and one must investigate all of them to gather all information - no matter how insignificant it may seem.

Never did, and have no intention of doing anything other than backing your play.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

In Peace & Light
tfw

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by thorfourwinds

Greetings:
You suggest legal action - just how would you go about it?

How would I go about it? I wouldn't, it's not my photo. All I can really do is this and make sure as many people as possible are able to spot the fake picture and point it out.
However there is a certain area of law called copyright law, and there is a certain procedure you can follow for just these exact circumstances.

At the end of the day it's up to whatever the owner of the picture decides to do after all he did specifically state permission was need to use the content on his website. It could be as simple as a polite email asking for the pictures removal or for it to be correctly labelled and credited. Refusal to do so could then result in further action being taken. If a cease and desist order is taken out then the websites advertisers, service providers and search engines are compelled to work for you under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

So it's up to the copyright owner, maybe he's a nice guy and will let it slide.
Me? I wouldn't.

Are you representing the Comet Elenin? Leonid Elenin? A Class Action?

Was naivety really what you were aiming for with these questions?
See above.

To what end? Forcing the media to use the correct fuzzy diffused photo? What does that actually do?

It's hardly what I'd call media but still, to what end you ask?
You would maybe prefer to live in the darkness, believing every little HOAX that pops up. Sure many people seemingly do but just be thankful there are people to bring this type of illegal behaviour to the fore.
In short, it's for the truth.

You are right. There are two photos - and only two. And I had seen that one you provided the link to and apparently overlooked it. There are two!

Good, when you posted his picture and stated that it was the only you had ever seen one could be forgiven for thinking you may not of been completely up to date on the situation.

Now this next bit is once again off topic, but I will reply to it just the one last time.

Really?

We're pretty sure that you can't, and we have been looking. If you have any hard evidence to back up your statement, please bring it. The very reason we brought up the photo issue ties in with your OP - a faked photo of an object who's discoverer has been called to question of his very existence... and his two (only) photos. Has he been interviewed since the discovery? Do you have this valuable information?

For the record, the photo issue in no way at all ties with my OP, none at all.
It's maybe best discussed in a thread such as this one www.abovetopsecret.com... specifically designed for the questions you ask.

And maybe you overlooked my link to an Russian astronomy forum posted above, proof of his existence is there maybe you could even check this one out too www.astrogalaxy.ru...
Then here is his active blog spaceobs.org...
Plus this iasc.hsutx.edu...
Yes, he has been interviewed since the discovery.
The guy is even on facebook, if this concerns you so much I suggest you get in contact with him and seek the answers yourself for some sort of satisfaction.

Enough with the off topic now.
edit on 17-4-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

What are you basing such a blind assumption upon? If I Google my name, none of my school/college photos show up on Google. Why should it be any different for this person? I'm pretty sure most picture databases are NOT categorized using a person's actual name. Especially sources pertaining to the public. In fact, if I Google my name and flip to the images tab, only one picture shows up. I don't find this "odd" at all. If you're including your full name in the pictures you've uploaded to the internet, that's going to be the only "odd" thing you have going for you at this point. Have I misunderstood something, by chance?

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
You know that Planet X Movie coming out in May called "Melancholia"...Wouldn't it be wild if the kid's name in the movie was "Leo"? ...Oh wait, it is... Check it out for yourself. What do you think of this? A "Leo" discovers the killer asteroid in the movie Deep Impact. Another Leo discovers comet Elenin. There is a kid named Leo in this new planet X movie. Comet Elenin is also known as "X1". Comet Elenin will be approaching us from the constellation Leo. The Sphinx which has the body of a Lion (Leo) stares off into the night sky waiting for something to return....

From Graham Hancock: -"we have demonstrated with a substantial body of evidence that the pattern of stars that is "frozen" on the ground at Giza in the form of the three pyramids and the Sphinx represents the disposition of the constellations of Orion and Leo as they looked at the moment of sunrise on the spring equinox during the astronomical "Age of Leo" (i.e., the epoch in which the Sun was "housed" by Leo on the spring equinox.) Like all precessional ages this was a 2,160-year period. It is generally calculated to have fallen between the Gregorian calendar dates of 10,970 and 8810 BC. (op. cit., p.189)"

Ok follow me here.... The comet Elenin is supposed to have an orbital period of 11,830 years. (According to Wikipedia). That would put its last appearance on earth roughly in the vicinity of time when the Sphinx was said to have been built. Of course we can't be sure of the exact date of either, but they are close.

A lot to think about.... One more coincedence... The release date for the movie Melancholia is May 26th. "Comet" Elenin will be closest to earth on September 26th.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

S&F for trying to keep the data clear...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

You sound both grateful and highly defensive in your post..
it's weird.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join