It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Throw out your Money!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Although I am definitely a believer in other sentient beings in the universe, maybe even on our planet from time to time, I want to start this thread with one supposition: There's No One Here But Us. By that I mean that it is human labor that makes us a 'society.' Some build roads, some paint fences.

We all 'do' something. Where we go wrong is this idea of trading our own labor into food, medicine and shelter for our families, which sometime contain people whose days of working are gone, or are sometime in the future.

What if we all kept working, but no one paid anyone else one red cent?
What if it failed to matter the cost of anything in the store?
What makes the trucks move really? People do.

We can simply change our mind about the way in which we behave towards the planet and ourselves.

Would everyone quit their job? I doubt it. What could we accomplish if we freed every person from all debt? What would happen if we shared every innovation?

Thoughts?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
What would happen is no one would upkeep the sewer systems, every major city would turn into a husk. People just wouldn't be willing to do the jobs no one wants to do. We would return to an agrarian lifestyle.

It would be a harsh transition, but over the long run agrarian society is really the best way for humans to live on Earth.
edit on 15-4-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This idea has been a topic many great minds have tackled, Social utopia comes to mind.
If we had cheap or free ( not free as in spooky energy) but free as in solar and wind and nano-tech and molecular printers that could build objects from cheap carbon and silicon substrates, ( think if you could design and print your own ipad from open source files) then the ideas would flow freely,
people wouldn't stop working but would rather out of boredom find a job or activity that they like, we would still have rocket scientists because they like building rockets, doctors like helping people get well. that sort of thing
so if the world could get its act together it could be an open source social utopia..
but hey thats just my star trek side talking

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

I'm fairly sure people would come together to get the poop out of the street. Might be a longer line at the DMV though.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jimnuggits

If only someone could come up with a 'replicator', money would become -instantly- obsolete. If everyone in the whole entire world could reach for a cup of "tea, Earl Gray!" Or a Tbone steak rare, or a pair of hiking boots, or------------ a ***zillion*** other things they needed or wanted, by the mere press of a button, or by saying, "Computer!" This world would be the one Gene Roddenbery has been waiting, for US! But I wonder if everyone accessed "free energy" if that would also make money obsolete.
For those who worry about the human population trippling in a year, due to abundance for all, this is NOT true. People automatically begin having less and less kids, when they have free reign to improve themselves, their health, their knowledge, and the rest of their lives.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra
What would happen is no one would upkeep the sewer systems, every major city would turn into a husk. People just wouldn't be willing to do the jobs no one wants to do. We would return to an agrarian lifestyle.

It would be a harsh transition, but over the long run agrarian society is really the best way for humans to live on Earth.
edit on 15-4-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

That's where robotics comes in. Design robots to do the dirty work, then send 'em in. We already have the capability, but the cost involved is the issue. But if we go to a money-less society, money is no longer the issue, convenience and "no one wants to do that" are. So, we build the robots for those jobs.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
This is what Atlantis was like, I think. That's always been my idea of Utopia. The barter system rocks second place.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
It's a wonderful dream... I suggest anyone who wants it to be a reality start a commune... or join one... probably as close as you're going to get for now... or just keep talking about living without money... your choice... but there are people out there who actually do it.... sell everything you own, buy a piece of property, find like minded people, trade your labor for things other than a dollar.... if this is really something you want... be a pioneer... no one better to start the revolution than you....
edit on 15-4-2011 by wearewatchingyouman because: funny fingers

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman

There will always be some who will take advantage of any type of system like that. Sit around and let others do the work while they reap the collective benefits. If they were immediately hung and made example of it might work.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
dream world is right

noone does anything in this country without some form of compensation.

yes there is charity thats totally different from what your wanting

if someone isnt going to get anything out of it there are no cars on the road no trucks,no food,no electricity no nothing.

for the beleivers that money is the root of all evil it isnt greed is and greed is not a attribute that soley resides in any one class in the world.
edit on 15-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

there are people who take advantage of any situation... it's not a reason not to do it... take the American experiment as a perfect example... what other people will do is a pretty sorry excuse not to do something yourself ....
edit on 15-4-2011 by wearewatchingyouman because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-4-2011 by wearewatchingyouman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jimnuggits

Theres alot of 3rd world cities especially in Africa that say otherwise.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

There was actually a Star Trek NG episode about that kind of society. The "away team" entered this world of gorgeous blondes who did nothing but have fun and give you sex, if you wanted. And then Wesley Crusher committed an extremely minor infraction, and the team learned that the payment for living in that kind of world, was instant death penalty for anyone who disobeyed any rule at anytime, for whatever reason. In order to keep that kind of world the way it was.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

That may put a bit of a damper on it...

Strictly speaking, loafers would be tolerable, because no one will spend their entire lives doing 'nothing.' Artists, poets and the like seem to do a bunch of 'nothing' for a while, until they find the catalyst for their masterpiece...

new topics

join