It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Gets Arrested For Making Joke In New York City

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
all the people freaking out about abuse of power are all correct.

we should do away with all laws, everything from jaywalking to murder.

that way, when you decide you want to cross the street whenever YOU want, regardless of everyone else around, and you get hit by a car and killed. the driver wont be charged with murder. because all laws are bad and pointless right?

oh wait.

and as for the 2nd guy. it really is his fault and his fault alone. when cops tell you to do something, you do it. whether its to stop running your mouth or to put the weapon down. YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO IT. PERIOD. if you dont, thats your decision and you have to face the consequences.

society has laws for a reason, it needs laws for a reason. and if everyone starts picking and choosing which ones they deem appropriate, it all collapses.

yes the cops should have and could have handled it better. a simple warning should be more than sufficient for a minor infraction. but still. laws are laws.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by pngxp

that way, when you decide you want to cross the street whenever YOU want, regardless of everyone else around, and you get hit by a car and killed. the driver wont be charged with murder. because all laws are bad and pointless right?

oh wait.

and as for the 2nd guy. it really is his fault and his fault alone. when cops tell you to do something, you do it. whether its to stop running your mouth or to put the weapon down. YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO IT. PERIOD. if you dont, thats your decision and you have to face the consequences.

society has laws for a reason, it needs laws for a reason. and if everyone starts picking and choosing which ones they deem appropriate, it all collapses.

yes the cops should have and could have handled it better. a simple warning should be more than sufficient for a minor infraction. but still. laws are laws.

We have laws and we are to follow them, but we are not 'Slaves' and we are not to be be driven by 'Slave Masters'

There are certain limits. That cops are out of control is painfully obvious. There are countless videos out there of them abusing such power.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Now I have to say I know some damn good cops and have a few as personal friends, I have been on ride alongs and I have to say, there are some good police officers out there. But on the flip side of the coin there are some real bad ones out there also as the above video has shown. Most cops I know would have just ignored this guy or even would have laughed about the situation but this ego manic just had to push his so called authority around. The man, when asked for his ID kept asking why and got no response at all, I would have not shown the ID until getting a reason for it. i am sure I would have been arrested but you have to stand up for yourself regardless, I hope a lawsuit is in the works, any lawyer would love this case.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I agree that cops are just like any ordinary person just trying to make a living but NYC cops are different to me.

There are some power hungry and some that aren't, but the reason for their actions is all because their superiors are money hungry. I am not sure they are properly funded but sometimes I hear from people that NYC cops are not paid enough.

Once again let me stress this is all because of money. Works exactly like a corporation I think. If you interfere with me giving out tickets I can't make money so I am going to use my power to try to escalate the situation so I can fine you more. More fines means more money for me and that can lead to my promotion!
edit on 16-4-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Is this cop an idiot? YES

Bad arrest? YES

Does he need to answer for it? YES

All cops Nazis? NO

There are people that are bad at thier job in every profession...extrapolating it to all police is illogical and hateful.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by marcsnothere

WTF??? I cant even believe what the hell I am reading on here.
YES- there are batches of cops that are power hungry.
YES- SOME cops MISSuse their power.
BUT- Does this make every cop an asshole?
Does this mean Every cop should be a target during a revolution?? WTF?

This case is actually a perfect example why all cops are bad. You see this one guy abusing his power. Good cops would stop him and enforce the law as it is. Bad cops will either join in on the action or cover for their fellow cop. That is the reason why all cops are bad. Even the good ones don't go against their 'brothers' who brake the law hence they are accomplishes in their crimes.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

They should have just let the guy go after he got the point that his comments weren't welcome.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by pngxp

oh wait.

There is a HUGE, HUGE difference between "Laws" and statutes, code, ordinance and regulations. I have posted legal stuff on so many threads here. If you have no legal experience or backround education in Common Law, Eclessiastical Law, Roman Civil Law and the U.S. code, then do not post garbage like this.

COPS HAVE NO authority over society, they are corporate security guards, YOUR NAME in all capital letters makes YOU a corporate fiction and thereby you must abide by the regualtions. BUT if you KNOW the truth and the "Common Law", then you state you are NOT a corporate fiction and that you do not have to do ANYTHING they tell you, as they have NO AUTHORITY. Ask them, "from where do you derive your authority to address me?" Lack of JURISDICTION!!!! FACT!!

Minnesota State Bill of Rights
ARTICLE I
BILL OF RIGHTS

Section 1. OBJECT OF GOVERNMENT. Government is instituted for the security, benefit and protection of the people, in whom all political power is inherent, together with the right to alter, modify or reform government whenever required by the public good.
Sec. 2. RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES. No member of this state shall be disfranchised or deprived of any of the rights or privileges secured to any citizen thereof, unless by the law of the land or the judgment of his peers. There shall be neither slavery nor involuntary servitude in the state otherwise than as punishment for a crime of which the party has been convicted.

I believe you will find this in every state Constitution. Therefore, the police powers are SUBORDINATE TO THE PEOPLE. Once again, No victim, NO crime. Simple.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

So cracking a joke is preventing the officer from doing his job? Is that what you're saying?

So what kind of disorder are these retard cops suffering from that a joke distracts them that badly for writing someone a ticket for riding a bike on a sidewalk?

Btw I've cracked lots of jokes around cops, and they usually just roll their eyes at me. I guess not all cops suffer from this apparent mental condition where a joke sends them off their rockers. Maybe they should screen for that at the PD before they send these pigs out on the streets, for their own safety at least.

I remember seeing a video from the turn of the century (around 1900) where a New Yorker was up in a cop's face angrily arguing with him in the middle of traffic. The cop kept his cool and simply wrote out the one ticket he was writing, and walked away.

Why doesn't that happen today?

Because the police men have turned into fascist pigs. That's why.
edit on 16-4-2011 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Oh man, come on, that means being in the way or interfering with the arrest - the guy was yards away when they approached him.

The other guy who had no probs was absolutely guilty of this, but was taken away by mum.

Nah, this was pure "I don't like what you said, I don't like you, I'm arresting you, screw the law!" stuff..

seriously.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SweetRevenge
And again we get the ATS Anti-police crowds out. People who decry and label all law enforcement as being akin to the devil and sit on some moral high horse. I love the ignorance on issues like this by normally intelligent posters. All cops are evil, blah blah blah."

I agree you should not lump every race, religion, nationality, occupation, etc into one ball.

You CAN, however, realize certain traits and behaviors that you can seem to attribute to a majority of them.

People hate the word "stereotype", but stereotypes develop because many times certain people who gather in certain groups DO tend to exhibit similar traits.

It's a fact of life.

As far as cops go, I have a few friends who are cops who I have known since they were kids. They can't wait to get out and retire in a couple of years because for years the younger ones coming in have the "macho-bull----" attitude and are on a power trip.

Same goes with many who enlist in the military.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
reply to post by defcon5

So cracking a joke is preventing the officer from doing his job? Is that what you're saying?

So what kind of disorder are these retard cops suffering from that a joke distracts them that badly for writing someone a ticket for riding a bike on a sidewalk?

And if cracking a joke is against the law, there are a whole lot of comedians out there that should be arrested. Imagine Sam Kinison or Andrew "Dice" Clay walking by that situation and not have something to say.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
reply to post by dude69

That is not the issue here. What you have is someone that is so obviously out of place that it was drawing enough attention to have people filming it, and walking by making remarks. What the police were trying to do was deescalate the situation before it became a riot. Further evidence in support of that is how quickly three more cars arrived on scene for what would otherwise be a waste of manpower.
edit on 4/16/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

The event was being recorded PRIOR to buddy walking by poking fun.

The arrogant cop called the other cars, because he knew things were getting beyond his control, not for dude on his bike, but because he was an ass and needed backup.. He gets all crappy with a guy, then realises he's caught out???????

Who you gonna call? punkbusters... the cop was a punk..

link   
reply to post by SweetRevenge

I agree with you on many points but every time you enforce ther private laws you are breaking a crime, you swear an oath to protect and serve the public of America not the corporate fat cats whom are also breaking more serious laws when will the LAW BE ENFORCED when it effects your jobs is that when the book comes out and the unions rally.

I bet you are a good cop and I bet there are more like you but your job is now that of any other private company YOU ARE A POLICE OFFICER NOT A POLICE MAN/WOMAN if you were still police men then we wouldnt see this sort of think and lots more like it I bet you could tell some great cop stories were you yourself have committed a crime or witnessed fellow officers do so?

your fellow policeman/woman should stand up for those in lesser position of authority?

ILL STEAL A PHRASE FROM THE POLICE RULE BOOK
"MOVE ON THERES NOTHING TO SEE" Police motto of modern times
PLEASE PROVE US ALL WRONG
WATCH THIS AND TELL YOUR FRIENDS

www.youtube.com...
FEMA CAMP, POLICE STATE, JESSE VENTURA,

and learn about FREEMEN AND THE LAWS YOU UPHOLD

link   

Originally posted by daikaiju
And if cracking a joke is against the law, there are a whole lot of comedians out there that should be arrested.

I guess the difference is, no one is being arrested inside the clubs where the comedians are, or else I'm sure those pigs would be equally distracted and have to arrest the comedian for interfering with their arrest.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ginga
So they have a sense of humour law now? Unbelievable. I wish the guy had just ridden off on his bike, that would've made it a proper comedy. The sad thing is when he cracked the joke the guy on the bike took it all in jest.

Haha yeah, extended version, the dude on bike riding off, cops chasing him with yackity sax (benny hill) music playing..

Brillaint... Now I need some good footage, I got an idea

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddio

Minnesota State Bill of Rights
ARTICLE I
BILL OF RIGHTS

Section 1. OBJECT OF GOVERNMENT. Government is instituted for the security, benefit and protection of the people, in whom all political power is inherent, together with the right to alter, modify or reform government whenever required by the public good.
Sec. 2. RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES. No member of this state shall be disfranchised or deprived of any of the rights or privileges secured to any citizen thereof, unless by the law of the land or the judgment of his peers. There shall be neither slavery nor involuntary servitude in the state otherwise than as punishment for a crime of which the party has been convicted.

I believe you will find this in every state Constitution. Therefore, the police powers are SUBORDINATE TO THE PEOPLE. Once again, No victim, NO crime. Simple.

standing ovation from me you are spot on I guess you know all about the 'law of the sea' my friend if not it explains alot never UNDERSTAND why people give them power

edit on Sat Apr 16 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: snipped quote Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
If i was the cop and I asked him to show me his I.D.,and he walked away from me like that,I would have thrown him down cuffed him,and booked him for failure to obey orders and acting like a fool in public

Show me your ID or I will request you be banned..

Oh I forget, you have rights...

Yarbles...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I WANT OUT OF THIS BLOODY CITY

My story: as i was coming home from work as a bike messenger with alot on my mind, i turned the corner onto my street and hopped right off in front of my yard as the bike rode up on the curb to the sidewalk. that same bloody type police van in that video turned the corner....

sorry, i wanna cuss so much but i know there are filter here....

police van turned the corner behind me and started harassing me about riding the bike on the sidewalk. my ass is clearly off the seat. so i told them i dismounted as i came on the sidewalk and that was being on the sidewalk for them. in a fit of rage at this point cause I'm already stressed out, i put the bike in my yard cause they were making a bigger issue out of this and asked them if "that's better? its off the sidewalk now" and went to open my front door. oh no... now i gave attitude so my ID needs to be checked, i have a "warrant" which was BS all the way and i spent a full 24 hours in lock up because i "rode the bike on the sidewalk", and lost a day pay because according to the probation officer (entirely different matter with a case that went too far), those cops were looking for overtime

i cannot stand it, and yet I'm trapped in this cesspool of a moron city cause the cops as you all see here, in NYC, cannot be trusted. i got my first ticket for riding on the sidewalk when i was 16, then i got a ticket for running a red light on the bicycle while at work, YES THEY ARE DOING THAT!

i think if i remember right, they gave about 260 cyclists tickets for running red lights along the park drive in Central Park in one given week. WE ARE NOT V6 ENGINES!!!! what the hell makes the city think that they can enforce traffic laws that were designed to REGULATE CARS, NOT BICYCLES? as a messenger, yes I'm gonna keep riding through red lights cause I'm on a time limit and I'm not a V6 engine, I'm a human being. i slow down when pedestrians are present, of course they got the right of way, but i do not have time for a full stop and there are no cars or buses passing by, do you know how much energy you're burning just to maintain a high enough speed?

if anything, i would love to be in Arizona....

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
If i was the cop and I asked him to show me his I.D.,and he walked away from me like that,I would have thrown him down cuffed him,and booked him for failure to obey orders and acting like a fool in public

So what does that prove? That you'd be a pig, too?

Congratulations. You should have been born in 1930's Germany. I think you really missed your calling.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join