It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Gets Arrested For Making Joke In New York City

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
What frightens me the most is the large number of sick people like this ready to step up the inhumane treatment of people once we are under a totalitarian fascist state. The ones you see in this video, they will gladly beat up anyone for looking at them, and rape girls of any age just to scare the people (like Chile under Pinochet).

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Well there has to be another joke in there somewhere...

How may NYC cops does it take to ticket a guy on a bike and arrest someone for joking

The world is slowly going mad!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Depending on the state its called various things, but it basically comes down to Interference with a police officer during the performance of his duties, and is a violation of the law:

N.Y. AGM. LAW § 369 : NY Code - Section 369: Interference with officers

Any person who shall interfere with
or obstruct any constable or police officer or any officer or agent of
any duly incorporated society for the prevention of cruelty to animals
in the discharge of his duty to enforce the laws relating to animals
shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not
more than one year, or by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars,
or by both.

Which is a misdemenor, that allowed them to then require his ID under NY’s Stop and Identify laws:

§ 140.50 Temporary questioning of persons in public places; search for
weapons.

1. In addition to the authority provided by this article for making an
arrest without a warrant, a police officer may stop a person in a public
place located within the geographical area of such officer's employment
when he reasonably suspects that such person is committing, has
committed or is about to commit either (a) a felony or (b) a misdemeanor
defined in the penal law, and may demand of him his name, address and an
explanation of his conduct.

Which was followed by him refusing, then resisting, that allowed for his arrest. They will also most likely stick him with other stuff as well, such as inciting a riot, as an example:

§ 240.08 Inciting to riot.

A person is guilty of inciting to riot when he urges ten or more
persons to engage in tumultuous and violent conduct of a kind likely to
create public alarm.
Inciting to riot is a class A misdemeanor.

In a nutshell he is mainly guilty of a POP offence (Pissing off the Police), but you can see how they can nail you for just about anything, and still be in the right. Point being that the police know how to work those laws, they know how to evoke a wanted response from folks, and they are quite practiced at doing so. Therefore, unless you know this stuff as well as them, don’t provoke them.
edit on 4/16/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
This is Injustice. The law is only as strong as those who uphold it. When those who do forget the law then the old laws lose their power.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
The cop's ego was hurt...but by what?...cause the guy didn't need a uniform and badge to make fun off the guy on the bike?...wtf?...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by dude69

That is not the issue here. What you have is someone that is so obviously out of place that it was drawing enough attention to have people filming it, and walking by making remarks. What the police were trying to do was deescalate the situation before it became a riot. Further evidence in support of that is how quickly three more cars arrived on scene for what would otherwise be a waste of manpower.
edit on 4/16/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I don't think you can deduce all that from the video, for a start, the person they were originally filming was the cyclist not the person involved in the major dispute. It's quite obvious that the film starts with the dudes above filming the white guy on the bike who had been stopped by the police, which is the very reason they started to film and why the film starts there.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

Originally posted by watchitburn
arrested for being black on a friday night.

2nd line

yeah...by a black police officer..

so your point if indeed you are trying to make one is complete nonsense...

That makes perfect sense. When they put on the uniform they are no longer white, hispanice or black. They are all blue

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Btw, it's not interfering untill you actually do something like crap the officer or somehow prevent them from doing their duty. He was nowhere near them and didn't hurl any objects at them or anything. No interfering.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

What you have is fascism being acted out by agents too scared to make up their own mind.

You understand what this implies right? That you can be arrested for pretty much everything if a cop chooses to do so, so regardless, you're in the wrong area at the wrong time if there is a pissed off police officer in the same area at the same time.

And...

the cop will not be held up to the law to the same extent as you were. See, you can't demoralize the poor folk you've hired to do your fascist bidding - it would only cause these "agents" to side with those cracking jokes. And you can't have cops around with a sense of humor, after all, biological robots mustn't show human characteristics.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

forgive me, but this sounds like you're defending the police? at what point in the video did the joker interfere with police business? if someone had honked their horn as they were driving past, would they be arrested? The joking man did nothing to stop the cops from doing their job. It seems like the one fit, black cop who jumps right in the joker's face has beef. either anger issues or he knows the joker from around the block. Either way, we should be able to walk by and shout things at cops if we want. Cops need to become more tolerant of the people they serve. Not all of us live our lives according to protocol and statutes. We shouldn't be expected to become law experts just to be able to walk down the street. When the People can't understand the Law, the Law is not for the People.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

Originally posted by watchitburn
arrested for being black on a friday night.

2nd line

yeah...by a black police officer..

so your point if indeed you are trying to make one is complete nonsense...

I'ts a line from a movie, it's funny ha ha.

the guy obviously did nothing wrong, hopefully the cops realised this after a while and let him go.

You have to find some humor in the insanity in this country or your head is going to explode.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini
reply to post by defcon5

What you have is fascism being acted out by agents too scared to make up their own mind.

You understand what this implies right? That you can be arrested for pretty much everything if a cop chooses to do so, so regardless, you're in the wrong area at the wrong time if there is a pissed off police officer in the same area at the same time.

And...

the cop will not be held up to the law to the same extent as you were. See, you can't demoralize the poor folk you've hired to do your fascist bidding - it would only cause these "agents" to side with those cracking jokes. And you can't have cops around with a sense of humor, after all, biological robots mustn't show human characteristics.

Right on. you can tell that some of the other cops there don't care about the guy cracking jokes. instead of pulling the irate officer aside and just finishing the bike ticket, they're forced to go along with their most extreme member in order to project the image that they're all on the same team. Just once, I'd like to see a cop turn to a fellow officer and say "chill out, bro. this one's no biggie." but in a life and death profession, every little scenario gets life and death treatment.
and it's not "pretty much" anything, a cop can arrest for anything at all, or nothing. A cop pulled me over and gave me a repair and report ticket for a brake light. I got out and checked right there, they both worked. He said it was off when I drove past him and sent me on my way. maybe it really did flicker out. i just took it in and showed them my brake lights and that was that. no repairs. The point is, the cop could have just made that up and neither myself or anyone else would know.
we make up these systems that are flawed, pretend they're perfect, and tell the folks who suffer because of it to suck it up, it's for the greater good.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

That is BS. I have lived in NYC for a year and I use to avoid the cops often. People should not be avoiding the cops. If you slip up (drive in a bus lane, bike on sidewalk) they will hand out the tickets like candy. Talk back to them and you will find yourself in deeper trouble.

Why? Because they can't hand out more tickets if you are making a situation of yourself, so they will try to escalate the situation to tack on more crimes therefore increase amount of charges brought upon you. More charges = more $$$. Its all about the money.

You won't see this outside major cities I suppose. New York being the worst. Cop's job in New York is to hand out tickets not protect and serve. I have seen this on several occasions.
edit on 16-4-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
&& This my friends is exactly why I'm not going to college for Law Enforcement. I am going for Astronomy instead. Those types of cops are EVERYWHERE. It's absolutely disgusting.

Protect and serve my a**.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
So they have a sense of humour law now? Unbelievable. I wish the guy had just ridden off on his bike, that would've made it a proper comedy. The sad thing is when he cracked the joke the guy on the bike took it all in jest.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Tell you what amazes me, well not really amaze me as in 'I can't believe that happened' but amazes me in the sense of 'how freaking stupid can you be'.... they are busting the chops and arresting a guy who made a joke as he was moving along, but completely ignore the crackhead walking in the street.

This is why people can't stand cops. It's the sheer hypocrisy that the regular Joe sees day in and day out. Police ignore the neighborhood crackhead, but arrest and mess with a guy who actually broke no law. You can even hear it in the video, he was charged or at least told he was being charged with "interference", but how do you interfere with a cop who is in his vehicle when your several feet away?? The suspect was not stopping the cop from questioning, issuing a ticket, or anything. He was just standing off to the side running his mouth. Last time I checked, that was not against the law. So again we have a completely victimless crime that resulted in an arrest that our tax dollars paid for.

This is why people, much like myself, do not trust police. That is why, when push comes to shove, people like me will stand up and crack Officer Friendly in his mouth if the opportunity ever were to present itself. Not only did Officer Friendly ignore the crackhead wandering aimlessly in the middle of the street while he was arresting someone who did not break the law, but he had 4-5 other Officers watching him do it and supporting his decision to arrest a person who was not breaking any law.

The same mentality that causes a police officer to support another officer when he is clearly in the wrong, is the same mentality the general public has, and it will only take a spark to ignite the fire. The more they keep pushing, the more the conditions are right for that little spark to ignite a fire that can not be controlled.
edit on 16-4-2011 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Better yet, don't accept this kind of world. Don't go to work in large groups and don't buy anything from the stores, that will really bring things to a halt and by the millions line up at all the offices of the representatives with bullhorns and meditations, with people running for food and going in shifts, and don't stop even if they try to harm or kill, this is the future, this is our children's future, and this must be completely over. All fascicsm, corruption, NWO and pyramid systems toppled.

I am waiting have been for a long time. Wake up everyone.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

You got a thing about crackheads? Ever stop to think that maybe the cops knew who that crackhead was and knew that they had pumped as much information out of him that they could? What would they arrest him for anyway ? Being an addict? As far as I know being an addict is not a crime. If he was a homeless addict, how much crack do you honestly think he would have had on him ? Not enough to make it worth the cops time I'll bet. You know how much of a threat a homeless crack addict poses to society ? Obviously not if you're so pumped up about getting him off the streets.The person a crackhead hurts the most is himself.

I've read through this entire thread up to this point and I've seen 1, maybe 2, people who are somewhat defending the cops. True, you have a lot of bad cops out there, I'm not disputing that and I agree that they need to be taken off the force ASAP, but you have to remember that you only saw a short video of what happened. You weren't there and you didn't see the whole thing. I lived in Chicago for a few months a long time ago and I can tell you from experience that in a town that size police officers are going to be on the same beat for a long time. They are going to be in certain neighborhoods and "burgs" long enough to get to know the people who live there. The other side of the coin applies also. The people are going to get to know those cops as well. At least the people whose lifestyle dictates that they have no choice but to get to know them.

There was probably a pre-existing dynamic that existed between all of those involved that the video isn't going to show you. But don't give that any thought okay? Just go with the assumption that the cops are jack booted thugs who are trying to take away someone's "first amendment rights" totally unprovoked. Give me a f***ing break. Knee jerk reactions that go with the "cops are evil" flow are ignorant at best.

I've got a novel idea. All of who think that society cannot properly function with the current police force that we have, do everything in your power to dismantle that structure. No more cops, we don't need those a**holes anyway, right? After about a month or so, let me know how that works out for you. If you think for one second that the majority of Americans can police themselves with no more problems than what we currently have, you're delusional. You obviously have no idea how bad the bad elements of society can be, and you certainly have no idea how many of them are walking free among us.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Ooooooo.aren't they a bunch of tough guys......NOT....just a bunch of thugs in uniform who abuse their power.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join