It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melting of Japan plant's fuel rods confirmed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
www.irishtimes.com...

The head of the Atomic Energy Society of Japan, Takashi Sawada, said yesterday that fuel rods in reactors 1 and 3 have melted and settled at the bottom of their containment vessels, confirming fears that the plant suffered a partial meltdown after last month’s huge earthquake and tsunami.

I wasn't certain that this had been specifically reported here.. so I thought I'd share the article for your edification.

I can only assume the Irish Times is a reputable source.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Was this the only source for this? The Irish Press!
Why wouldn't one of the big media conglomerate's pick this up? Hint

Well I wonder how they will ultimately fix it, so many options on the plate but too few solutions that really work.

edit on 4/15/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Doesn't it suck that insane amounts of radiation are escaping into the atmosphere all over the world from this nuclear plant, and we can't do anything about it? It's like being tied to a chair while your family is raped and you can't do anything to stop it, except your family is not just Japan but the entire world.

What I want to know is once the rods have melted, does the nuclear reaction stop or does it continue? I feel like the rods melting should stop the reaction, but I have literally no knowledge about nuclear reactors so that's just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

the reason the rods melted is because the reaction went out of control.... this pool of molten rod will continue to react and generate heat

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Adding another source for this news...
From Kyodo...

Nuclear fuel inside the crippled reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant has partially melted and settled in granular form at the bottom of pressure vessels, according to an analysis by the Atomic Energy Society of Japan made public by Friday.

english.kyodonews.jp...

Of course, we shoud see this as good news...
because ...

The panel has also said that the fuel grains with a diameter of between several millimeters and 1 centimeter are believed to have settled evenly at the bottom of the vessels, leaving almost no possibility of a nuclear chain reaction called ''recriticality.'' english.kyodonews.jp...

"Almost no possibility"

I sure hope so...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Majestyka

That's too bad. Do you know if liquid nitrogen could freeze that molten rod pool? Or is there so much heat, radiation, and energy being produced that it would have no effect?
edit on 15-4-2011 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

If the rods have indeed melted then its a matter of time before a chain reaction occurs. I doubt this is true or you would have huge numbers of workers dropping from radiation sickness, and they would be bombing them. I would believe that some material has begun to pool from leaks. This however is still not a good a thing, because small amounts could trigger the big problem we dont want aswell.

Also bombing them would consist of sand cement lead and boron, not bombs to explode them. Yet there are scientists who claim a nuclear bomb is a good idea...
edit on 15-4-2011 by 5StarOracle because: add

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

You know... there's almost no possibility that I might feel reassured by these people. Our friends in Japan deserve better than what they are getting from these "experts."

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Unfortunately the heat and radiation is so intense that liquid nitrogen would become reactive and probably expand explosively... not certain of that; but i think if they could do that they would have.... I think.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Earlier this week, the well-known theoretical physicist Dr. Michio Kaku was interviewed on the ABC World News evening broadcast. When asked how severe this nuclear accident was, his answer was, "We haven't hit bottom yet."

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Yeah I figured the top scientific minds at work trying to solve this problem would have thought about using liquid nitrogen long ago. Well the gulf oil spill seemed like it would be the end of life as we know it, and so far we're still alive. Maybe this nuclear meltdown will be the same, it'll be all over the news for months and it'll seem like there is no hope, but eventually the problem will be solved and life will go on.

Not to get off topic, but now that I think about it, how did they fix the Gulf oil spill? I remember they tried using some dome to put over it, but didn't that thing crack and they had to try something else? The junk shot was one possibility, so was nuking it, and the only solution I can think of them using was dumping thousands of gallons of chemicals over it.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Indeed the fuelrods will continue to give of radiation, for some time to come.
At the same time. the heat will be intense.I am afraind it will melt through the bottom of the dry well and escaping into the soil below.Eventually reaching the water table and exploding with super heated steam.
It will continue to give off heat and radiation for some time to come.perhaps years

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Makes me wonder... The same with the gulf oil disaster as is with the Fukashima nuclear problem, Massive equipment failures and massive pollution problems on an eppic scale BUT...
NO ! world wide intervention untill towards the end. Why is the world allowing the companies who own the facilities try fix problems way out of their scope of experience and ability. Dont give me the reason they are the experts because they are not !

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
reply to post by Maxmars

Yeah I figured the top scientific minds at work trying to solve this problem would have thought about using liquid nitrogen long ago. Well the gulf oil spill seemed like it would be the end of life as we know it, and so far we're still alive.

The problem is that people expect instant death or they presume all is hunky-dory in this quick fix, intant gratification society we've had constructed for us. The reality is we won't even begin to realize the magnitude of either of these disasters for some years. With the GOM disaster, the food chain could be destroyed from the bottom up... the larger, more visable aquatic creatures will eventually tell us the truth when they either thrive or, if the disaster was as bad as many believe, when they wash ashore, dead from starvation and/or disease. Same with Fukushima... when the cancer rates skyrocket, deformations run rampant in future births, and various radiation related illnesses cripple entire communities, we will know what the real toll is.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

My thoughts as well, and my heart is out to those in Japan.

The "experts" are busy going about thier ususal "expert" business.

Like....

Japan To Explain Fukushima Crisis At Summit

To Mark Chernobyl Disaster

english.kyodonews.jp...

Ironic...
edit on 15-4-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Radioactivity in wastewater dumped lower than thought

It's a shame I am guarded about any good news.... I hope they are right... but even if they are... this is still very very bad for those people... and maybe more.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
So from a scientific and completely factually with absolutely no argument what so ever, the following statement is true:
their is an ongoing critical release invovlving the nuclides and other criticality elements, in progress as i am typing these letters in this space and time.

and the above statement can no longer be argued.

Correct? i'm not a scientist, looking for witness's too confirm.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
"Melting of Japan plant's fuel rods confirmed"

why is confirmation important then? hello??

I understand that the 90's where hard on getting people too commit to anything,, but come on,, do we have an ATOMIC release of ATOMIC particles into our enviroment, once again, even after getting the radioactive fallout too under 97% as witnessed by the TSAR bomb, everyone forgets that fact ,, wow such widespread glassing over of an entire Island with only negligable ,less than 3% radioactive fallout.
Gee whoda guessed that was possible,,, oh and on a side note,, did you know that initially after Hiroshima, the scientific community as a whole , thought they had released a biological virus,,, later turned out it was only radiation,,but yes initially atomic release was considered a BIOMED type problem.
And know the rest of the story.
ME.
edit on 15-4-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
You've got to love the guys taking a bath. If you can't get away, try your best to enjoy yourself

new topics

top topics

join