It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

April 15th - Canadian Drivers Calling for a total Gas Boycott!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Gas prices soar nationwide; at $1.37 in Vancouver

Surging Fuel Prices in Canada

CTV.ca News Staff

Date: Friday Apr. 15, 2011 2:49 PM ET

A surge in prices at the pumps across Canada -- including an average of $1.37 per litre price tag in Vancouver -- has led frustrated drivers to call for a gas boycott.

More than a million people have joined the "Don't buy gas on April 15th" group on Facebook as cities across North America deal with yet another surge in prices ahead of the weekend.

Vancouverites are seeing the country's highest average gas prices, while Montreal ($1.35), and Halifax ($1.33) rate second and third.

Here's a look at Canada's ten most expensive places to buy gas (according to GasBuddy.com):

* Vancouver: $1.37
* Montreal: $1.36
* Halifax: $1.33
* Quebec City: $1.32
* Toronto: $1.32
* Hamilton: $1.31
* Kitchener-Waterloo: $1.30
* London: $1.30
* Barrie: $1.29
* Victoria: $1.29

In Toronto, the average price per litre skyrocketed to $1.32 on Friday morning, the highest the city has seen in three years. The hike was 3.4 cents higher than Thursday's average price, leading to lineups at the pumps as drivers hurried to fill their tanks before the hike took effect at midnight.

One year ago, before rising oil prices and the province's implementation of the harmonized sales tax, motorists in Toronto were paying $1.00 for a litre of regular gasoline.

The good news for Torontonians desperate for an affordable pre-weekend fill-up is that a handful of gas stations are still charging in the low $1.20 range, according to TorontoGasPrices.com, which monitors stations throughout the area.

Canada's national average price was just above $1.28 per litre on Friday, with the lowest prices found in Alberta (just under $1.18 in some areas), and the highest in Newfoundland, at more than $1.38.

While gas prices are still much cheaper in the United States, they have risen there for 24 days in a row, and are now above US$4 per gallon (about CAN$1.02 per litre). The prices mirror those of the summer of 2008, just before the world economic crash hit the U.S. with particular ferocity.

Analysts attribute the recent gas price spike to higher oil prices, which have been affected by the conflict in Libya. Crude prices have risen 28 per cent the uprising there began in mid-February.

Energy consultant Mike Ervin says there is a much stronger demand for gasoline now than there was in 2008, but believes prices have peaked for the next while.

This is total garbage. I have NEVER seen prices of fuel go this high before in Canada. Why is this happening now? And is it due to the war in Libya? I am not buying any gas today, that's for damn sure!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
You'll just have to buy that much more tomorrow. It's not about NOT buying gas on one specific day, it's about finding other ways to get places that don't involve using gas. Things like walking, biking, carpooling or even just taking off slower and trying to squeeze more mileage out of a gallon of gas.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo
You'll just have to buy that much more tomorrow. It's not about NOT buying gas on one specific day, it's about finding other ways to get places that don't involve using gas. Things like walking, biking, carpooling or even just taking off slower and trying to squeeze more mileage out of a gallon of gas.

Exactly. I never understood the concept of trying to make a statement to gas companies by just not buying gas for 1 day. Either you buy it the day before, or the day after, but you're still going to buy it and use it regardless. I'm sure you're just driving up their profits before and after that day... lol
edit on 15-4-2011 by IHIPrelude94 because: grammar

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo

I agree wholeheartedly with you!! That's why I gave you your first star on this thread. It doesn't matter if we don't buy gas on a certain day (although I am not as a show of solidarity) as we will just have to fill up again tomorrow or the next day! It also doesn't matter if we don't buy from one gas station as a whole across the whole country as they will just sell their gas to another company as their reserves deplete.

We have to, as you stated, find other ways to get around this. We all know the oil companies are not going to be releasing tech that would allow us to get 100 mpg!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It makes me mad that the third largest user of oil on the planet japan has had a tragic turn of events that has affected how much they use. That made no difference in oil prices .But what makes me mad is when I live in a city that has the largest refinery in Canada .Then a war in libya supplies 2% of the worlds oil who also exports mostly to Italy then gas prices go up 40 %. Makes me furious its a crime and we let them get away with it!!!
Forgot to mention that Alberta tar sands has the largest deposit of oil on the planet!!
edit on 15-4-2011 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The problem with the whole Libya conflict excuse is that the fuel we are using in our cars now was purchased from the ME probably about 3-6 months ago..BEFORE the conflict arose.

How do they justify that?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
IT's all a scam. There is no shortage of oil. the price is being falsely pressed higher to milk more money from the sheep. Stopping gas purchases for 1 day does nothing. It is going to take a change in lifestyle to affect anything.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
You can't beat Big Oil. The have the gov'ts in their pocket. You could boycott oil for a year and guess what would happen? Gas would then be $2.45/liter. They don't lose money. Ok if you can ride a bike to work. Sucks for everyone else though. Even buses would have to charge more then. And inflation would skyrocket due to getting products to the stores. They don't walk there.

It's pitiful that an oil rich country such as ours is being pillaged by Big Oil. Why doesn't one of the parties in this election platform on reducing the price of gas for Canadians? I know why Harper doesn't. He's a transplanted Albertan. What about the rest though? Collusion anyone?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The sudden rise in gas prices is nothing short of profiteering by the Oil/Gasoline industry.

The gas you buy today was refined 9 months ago, at the price per barrel of oil 9 month's ago, not the current price of oil which is spiking.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
If everyone would boycott one of the big companies like Exxon for instance then their profit margin would go down causing them to lower prices to get sales back up, the other companies would lower prices as well to compete...problem solved in the short term...

Secure

top topics

join